Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will installing a NEMA 14-50 plug (with permit) trigger a re-assessment/increase in property tax? (NorCal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi folks,

I'm thinking of getting a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in my garage with permit. Does anyone know if that's going to trigger a re-assessment of my property value thus increasing my property tax bill? I live in NorCal.

Thanks.

Last edited:
hi folks,

I'm thinking of getting a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in my garage with permit. Does anyone know if that's going to trigger a re-assessment of my property value or increase my property tax bill? I live in NorCal.

Thanks.

I am not sure.

Logically, some homeowners prefer a gas line for their dryer machine.

Others prefer to newly installed 240 V outlet for their dryer machine.

Both groups think their way (gas or electric outlets) has value.

But I think what triggers your home's value increase is not those insignificant things: It's the automatic allowable annual increase formula that the county implements.

Last edited:
That's what I think.
We got them as a form of cheap insurance in case some future owners were to claim we did the installation ourselves and that is the reason the garage burned down (and not because of their homebrew setup!). Or in a sale, some overzealous inspector asked to see the permits and subsequent inspection. We can now tell anyone that cares, go to the city and check the records.

I think it depends on your city. Mine requires one.
I'm not aware of a single county or municipality in California that would exempt a new electrical circuit from a permit requirement.

Here's El Dorado County's page, for example, describing exemptions:

• Electrical exemptions
    • The replacement of an electrical device with the same, such as lights, outlets, snap switches, controllers, fuses and breakers.
    • The replacement of permanently installed equipment with motors provided the new motor requirements are the same as the existing. (Installing a larger air conditioner with a different load requirement or replacing larger pump motors for spas and pools would require a permit.) Communication and signal systems that are low voltage and installed in a single family home.
Here's the Sacramento County page with a specific entry and link for "Electrical (New circuits, Ceiling /Exhaust Fans, ect.)"

Bottom line: Permits are required by law. Yes, lots of work is done un-permitted.