Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it charge globally, and how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that the US and the EU versions of the Model S do not have cross compatible charging systems on board. I remember Elon saying that the Model 3 will be able to charge anywhere. What do we know about this? Will it be truly global? Will I be able to take my EU Model 3, export it to the US (hypothetically), and continue to charge it there (from domestic and the superchargers?)

Thanks

So I know that the US and the EU versions of the Model S do not have cross compatible charging systems on board. I remember Elon saying that the Model 3 will be able to charge anywhere. What do we know about this? Will it be truly global? Will I be able to take my EU Model 3, export it to the US (hypothetically), and continue to charge it there (from domestic and the superchargers?)

Thanks
Wouldn't that require an adapter? I was under the impression that the plugs at the car end are different between the NA and EU models.

Will I be able to take my EU Model 3, export it to the US (hypothetically), and continue to charge it there (from domestic and the superchargers?)
If history is any guide, the answer is going to be "no". Elon's statement (Source? I would like to know the exact wording he used) can be taken a number of ways. He do not think he meant that you will be able to put your Model 3 in a boat, take it to any continent, and be able to charge it. That isn't plausible.

You can't export a Tesla between the US and Europe and supercharge. European Teslas have the Type 2 plug and US Teslas have the Tesla plug. You will however still be able to charge the car. Both when it comes to rapid charging, via CHAdeMO adapter, and there are solutions for slow charging as well. An EU Tesla in the US could use a Type 2 charging station on a 240V line, or an EU UMC plus an adapter. A US Tesla in Europe could be charged using a US UMC with an adapter, or a US Tesla HPWC on a 220-250V line.

There are definitely solutions, but it will be somewhat impractical.

Thanks

If Tesla chooses to make a simple dumb adapter (with a U.S. Tesla receptacle and an EU plug end,) you would be able to charge with no real limitations.

U.S cars are inherently limited when it comes to charging from three phase - the plug on the car won't allow the phases to the charger, which at least in early versions couldn't take three phase power anyway (haven't seen a recent teardown of the charger module to see if they are all the three sub module European style ones or not.)

I thought EU cars would have the opposite problem - only able to use one third of the charger on U.S. split phase power, but I've been reading that those cars may be able to switch the three modules together in parallel instead...

Not sure how much of a challenge the differing safety regulations would cause for your overall plan, though.