Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it come fully charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house unfortunately does not have any 220v outlets. My dryer, stove, heat and water heater are gas, and these usually need higher voltage/amps if electric. I know the house is capable though. In fact, a few years ago one of the lines into the house went out at the street and Con Edison came and bridged the two lines temporarily so I had power. They then came months later to finish the job and get me back to dual feeds. Their one concern was that I would lose any 220v appliances if they did that but we had none.

There is a supercharger not too far from me, maybe 3 miles from home, but this is Brooklyn and 3 miles can sometimes feel like 30!

In the meantime I'll keep it plugged into the 120v outlet on a 20amp circuit. I figure it'll be in the driveway at least 12-16 hours each day anyway. I'm not using it to commute, and that was true even before the pandemic, and before I retired. It'll be joy rides the first week.

Umm, inside NYC there are no Superchargers. They are all urban chargers which top out at 75KW.

But yes, the 120V plug can keep you charged if you don't drive a lot a day.

After a three-day delivery time, I picked-up my 3 Plus with ten miles under 90% a week ago. Very thankful , as I had to drive 110 miles home! Since I drove on an interstate at high speed, I used 153 miles of my range, leaving me with 70 miles reserve. The 120VAC stock cable took over 24 hours to get back to 90%! My 220VAC adaptor cable should be here in two days...receptacle already installed and waiting. Thanks! Charlie

Mine was half-dead when I picked it up in Los Angeles. They scheduled 3 days to "prep" and I gave them 4 yet they never bothered to charge it, despite the dozens of superchargers on site and hundreds more within walking distance.

Strange that Tesla would make the bold statement that EVs are so difficult and confusing to charge that even they somehow can't manage to do it.

Mine was half-dead when I picked it up in Los Angeles. They scheduled 3 days to "prep" and I gave them 4 yet they never bothered to charge it, despite the dozens of superchargers on site and hundreds more within walking distance.

Strange that Tesla would make the bold statement that EVs are so difficult and confusing to charge that even they somehow can't manage to do it.
And they didn't just plug it in while you were signing papers or something? It wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to get it to 90%. I used a supercharger for the third time the other day when we realized we were cutting it close heading home. We plugged in, went to the bathroom a long walk across the mall parking lot, and by the time we got back we'd added 100 miles of range. We unplugged and went on our way. Where I live there aren't that many Teslas around and the SC is the one place I'll see them. Charging is the main problem in NYC, so few people can have overnight charging stations or even an accessible 120v outlet.

And they didn't just plug it in while you were signing papers or something? It wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to get it to 90%.
Haha, you're showing your age. Tesla is but a shell of the company it was back in your day. There's no longer anyone to "plug it in or something".
All I got was a robotext with directions to an abandoned mall parking lot somewhere in the middle of LA where I found my car, unlocked it with my phone and drove off. There was a kid nearby who seemed interested in my clipboard so I gave it to him, but I have no idea if he was actually associated with Tesla or just some random mall skate punk.

Haha, you're showing your age. Tesla is but a shell of the company it was back in your day. There's no longer anyone to "plug it in or something".
All I got was a robotext with directions to an abandoned mall parking lot somewhere in the middle of LA where I found my car, unlocked it with my phone and drove off. There was a kid nearby who seemed interested in my clipboard so I gave it to him, but I have no idea if he was actually associated with Tesla or just some random mall skate punk.
I went to the actual Tesla showroom to pick mine up, and had the prep rep go over everything with me on pick up. This wasn't "back in your day", but just a few weeks ago. And the charger was on the wall next to my car. There were 2 other cars waiting to be picked up, but I think only one rep.

Wow! I didn't know Tesla had showrooms anymore! Or reps.

I was going by your join date of 2017 and assumed you were reminiscing about the glory days of yonder. Interesting that Tesla still has some presence in certain states. They've mostly left California so if you buy a car here they just dump it in some abandoned shopping mall parking lot and you go find it on your own using Pokemon-style clues in the app.

Wow! I didn't know Tesla had showrooms anymore! Or reps.

I was going by your join date of 2017 and assumed you were reminiscing about the glory days of yonder. Interesting that Tesla still has some presence in certain states. They've mostly left California so if you buy a car here they just dump it in some abandoned shopping mall parking lot and you go find it on your own using Pokemon-style clues in the app.
I joined when I was curious about buying one. It took this long to actually do it! Now I wish I’d done it 4 years ago.

Catching up on this thread it now makes me feel better that I already ordered/received my 220v dryer vent adapter (Tesla Shop) and great big thick extension cord to reach out to the garage (Home Depot) early before delivery this Sunday. Sounds like it's possibly going to come in handy right away if I get one that's minimally charged.

I fully anticipated a 70-ish percent charge today when I picked up, but was quite surprised to find the car at 97%. No complaints here, as we kept taking it out on quick runs just for fun and fairly quickly got the battery down to 78%. Charging to 85% tonight just to test charging out, will do more running around tomorrow, then plan to charge to 80% typically moving forward.