TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will It Drift?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Tdave, May 6, 2009.

1. Tdave

Tdave Member

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, May 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Very nice. Thanks.

3. romeopapa

romeopapa Member

No, it doesn't drift, this car plows.

I sure wish it drifted, not that I drive it hard that much anyway. Yet I have to dispute the conclusion on the video.....the car in the video drifted for a few moments then went right back into its massive understeer mode. I presume that they had TC off, and even with the wet track, its tough to get this car to hang its rear out and sit. In fact, although I've only driven the car hard a couple of times, I have yet to gain a solid feeling of where my traction limit is, and to keep the car from wanting to plow. How much of this is the lack of toe and camber,suspension tuning, etc. and the tires is still an open question until we get to see how a Tesla Sport handles.

My guess is that a Tesla Sport has a shot at actually drifting.

btw, is anyone here actively organizing a Track Day for Teslas? If so, I'm interested.

4. Tdave

Tdave Member

#4 Tdave, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Me too, although I suspect you're a west coaster. I do plan to autocross my Sport next spring.

I inquired about suspension setting choices as set from the factory, and was told they will only set to my liking according to soft, normal, firm. Camber settings (done through shims), etc, are up to me after delivery. I will want to dial out most of the understeer.

5. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

We are all going to the drag strip in Portland OR on July 24-25 for the Wayland Invitational. Certain notorious electrics like the White Zombie and Killacycle will be there. Also about 5 to 10 Teslas are expected, including a Tesla Sport.

6. Tdave

Tdave Member

It will be very interesting to see how the Roadster Sport fares at the drag strip.

Also, the difference between the 2008 Roadsters (with DT 1.5) and 2010 Roadsters (with DT 2.0).

7. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah - projections would be like:
    1.5: 4.1s
    2.0: 3.9s
    Sport: 3.7s

Now, if we had a Roadster with the 300kW/402hp Model S drivetrain... :biggrin:

9. romeopapa

romeopapa Member

i'd love to drag, or track.

Yes, I'm a west-coaster. I gave up a shot at Laguna Seca track day 1 week after I picked my Tesla. [logistics, closed trailer hauling, etc. ...too much].
    I live in Oakland, quite close to Infineon [Sears Point forever]. I need to peek around at the track day associations, and or look at getting a Bay Area Track day club big enough to get in line.

As for dragging....that sounds fun. Enjoy!

Rob

10. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

hehehe

Just a FYI traction control can NEVER be turned all the way off. It says it's off but the car is still limiting.

11. PeterW

PeterW Member

12. SuperB

SuperB Member

That video was full of lies and half truths. The idiot pointed at the PEM and called it the battery. It does NOT take 16 hours to charge and so on. Of course it will drift on wet pavement.