Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will It Drift?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it doesn't drift, this car plows.

I sure wish it drifted, not that I drive it hard that much anyway. Yet I have to dispute the conclusion on the video.....the car in the video drifted for a few moments then went right back into its massive understeer mode. I presume that they had TC off, and even with the wet track, its tough to get this car to hang its rear out and sit. In fact, although I've only driven the car hard a couple of times, I have yet to gain a solid feeling of where my traction limit is, and to keep the car from wanting to plow. How much of this is the lack of toe and camber,suspension tuning, etc. and the tires is still an open question until we get to see how a Tesla Sport handles.

My guess is that a Tesla Sport has a shot at actually drifting.

btw, is anyone here actively organizing a Track Day for Teslas? If so, I'm interested.

btw, is anyone here actively organizing a Track Day for Teslas? If so, I'm interested.

Me too, although I suspect you're a west coaster. I do plan to autocross my Sport next spring.

I inquired about suspension setting choices as set from the factory, and was told they will only set to my liking according to soft, normal, firm. Camber settings (done through shims), etc, are up to me after delivery. I will want to dial out most of the understeer.

Last edited:
It will be very interesting to see how the Roadster Sport fares at the drag strip.
Also, the difference between the 2008 Roadsters (with DT 1.5) and 2010 Roadsters (with DT 2.0).

Yeah - projections would be like:
1.5: 4.1s
2.0: 3.9s
Sport: 3.7s

Now, if we had a Roadster with the 300kW/402hp Model S drivetrain... :biggrin:

i'd love to drag, or track.

Yes, I'm a west-coaster. I gave up a shot at Laguna Seca track day 1 week after I picked my Tesla. [logistics, closed trailer hauling, etc. ...too much].
I live in Oakland, quite close to Infineon [Sears Point forever]. I need to peek around at the track day associations, and or look at getting a Bay Area Track day club big enough to get in line.

As for dragging....that sounds fun. Enjoy!

Rob