Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage is not much longer than yours. I forget the exact dimensions, but maybe another 3-4 inches in length. I haven't tried summons yet, but I've self parked it without too much trouble. It is a really big car but all of the sensors around the car really help with maneuvering into and out of tight spaces. You also have complete control of the car when you have creep mode off. Once you get comfortable with the car and moving it 1 inch at a time you should be able to self park it. And once you get it parked one time you can try marking the garage or using the tennis ball hanging from the cieling to notify you when you are in the garage.
I tried with creep off, but feel nervous about having to keep my foot on the gas peddle instead of the brake.

I tried with creep off, but feel nervous about having to keep my foot on the gas peddle instead of the brake.

It was nervous for me until I got the hang of it. I tested it for about 20 feet just moving forward 1 foot at a time and then only about 6 inches at a time and then finally an inch at a time.

When I park in my garage now I have 2 inches of cleared space behind the car and I think 6 inches in front.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 118
So that means no garage summon for you? :(

So when Tesla's Owner Advisor came to my house to do the home fit, he pulled the car straight in and parked. Then he said lets try summon! So he pulled the car out set it up and then let the car do summon. He walked around said something to the effect of "I think it is in the garage, do you want to close to see if it will?" I was like umm, this is definitely not my call this is your car ha. So he said lets do it and he stayed at the back of the garage and monitored the garage door as it was closing. He yelled out in celebration, but I took it as fear and slammed the garage door button to reverse it lol and he was like it fits, go ahead and it was able to close but it had like maybe 1/2 inch of clearance. Not sure I would trust that on an everday basis so I pull it in.

Looking at my numbers above I guess I have maybe 6.5 inches of clearance in the front lol.

@fsubrett48 yeah but for Summon specifically you need a minimum of 8 inches up front, right? So how does that work for you?

My dimensions are how I currently park the car. I don't want to pull to forward because the Tesla is already yelling at me to stop and I don't want to leave too much space behind my car because garage door clearance.

So if you add both of my front and back space area it equals 8.5"

Reactions: fallen888
@roblab @DCGOO Thanks for the helpful feedback. I guess it's just something I'll have to carefully play around with after I take delivery.

Btw, summon in a public parking lot - genius! I can't wait to use it.
I use Summon in and out of the garage all the time, but would never dream of using it in a parking lot. If the spot is so tight to need to use summon, then pulling into that spot is a door ding waiting to happen. I can see using it to parallel park, but haven't gone there yet.

I have a fairly deep garage, but want to leave enough space (~12") to walk in front of the car and (~18") to walk behind the car. So, I've put an 8-foot 2"x8" on the garage floor where I want the front wheels to be positioned and 'creep' in until I feel the wheels hit the board (see pic). I just ignore the hysterical warnings from the parking sensors because they see the board as well as the cabinet in front. Works fine. Please disregard the front wheel angle in the pic - that's wifey's parking technique! We have to make a 90-degree right turn to get into the garage...

Attachments

• IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 86
My garage is pretty small, with a refrigerator and trash can in front of where I would have to park, it leaves me about 198/199 inches. I tested it with my wife's Infiniti crossover SUV, and it fits barely. My question is, is it easy to feather the accelerator and manage parking in such tight spaces??

With the lightest of touch, I can make it creep at perhaps a couple of inches per second to my parking limit line. I drew the line on the garage floor with a felt pen so that it lines up with a seam on the door frame, visible of course only with the door open.

Park it once manually. Put down a wheel stop. Can use a 2x4. If you want it to stay in one place and not push around, put two 1x4 back to the wall.

I don't think summon would like to park off-center to the right as it looks like you would need to do. Can't tell for sure from your photo.. It tries to align to something on the sides for centering.

Agree with others, your going to have to just try it.