Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it fit: Powerwall+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest Update: Thanks everyone for your feedback! Unfortunately, my Project Advisor has confirmed that the permitting team has made their decision and the gas pipes will need to be removed if I want to install the PW in the garage.
Sounds like a "chilling effect" of regulatory uncertainty. Even if they agree that the "no gas pipes" interpretation is wrong, if they are concerned that they may meet an AHJ who has that wrong interpretation, they may want to play it safe rather than set themselves up for a conflict/reeducation with the AHJ. Or they may have previously had such a problem.

Anyway, sounds like the gas pipes need to be removed/covered/separated for the garage location. None of those options appeal to you? Full removal, partial removal and covering the rest with trim so it's in the wall, or building a closet to separate the PWs from the gas pipes, so they aren't in the same room.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: komrade
Sounds like a "chilling effect" of regulatory uncertainty. Even if they agree that the "no gas pipes" interpretation is wrong, if they are concerned that they may meet an AHJ who has that wrong interpretation, they may want to play it safe rather than set themselves up for a conflict/reeducation with the AHJ. Or they may have previously had such a problem.

Anyway, sounds like the gas pipes need to be removed/covered/separated for the garage location. None of those options appeal to you? Full removal, partial removal and covering the rest with trim so it's in the wall, or building a closet to separate the PWs from the gas pipes, so they aren't in the same room.

Cheers, Wayne

The cost and effort to make ^ changes just didn't make any sense to me. Plus I thought it about little bit more and the garage location is too small for secondary battery so I would be stuck with only one PW.

Update: Install is scheduled for 04/18! Pretty excited after many months of wait lol.

I've read few posts regarding the install day checklist (solar + pw). Please add your feedback based on your solar install experience and things I should lookout for. Thank you!

For sure, thanks!

Quick question, do you know if Tesla is still installing power blaster/neurio device with GW2? Is it built in now?

GW2 has a built-in power meter for the main grid connections, but also supports external meters depending on how your system is wired (full-backup vs partial backup). The inverters in the Powerwall+ also have the same meters inside them to monitor the solar production.

Jason also has a very nice dashboard in addition to his API functions.

Reactions: komrade
Update: Tesla Energy crew finally arrived yesterday to began the install but a potential issue came up. The electrician stated that the riser conduit cannot be EMT and must be rigid to pass inspection (PGE).

I briefly read the PGE "Greenbook" and found the following exception since my PGE service enters the enclosure from the top. Tesla further stated that they will not tie in the system with main panel until the riser conduit has been confirmed to pass. I'm hoping I can get an answer from the experts on here so I can have Tesla wrap it all up today!

Exception: Conduit that enters the top of an enclosure is considered to be “protected” by the enclosure and need not be treated as a riser unless installed below the 6-foot level. Conduit installed above the 6-foot or 8-foot level (whichever height applies) must be either: (1) galvanized rigid steel conduit, (2) rigid aluminum conduit, (3) electrical metallic tubing, (4) IMC, or (5) PVC plastic conduit having a minimum wall thickness of 0.15 inches (Schedule 40 for 2-inch PVC conduit or larger, Schedule 80 for 1-1/2-inch or smaller).

https://www.pge.com/pge_global/common/pdfs/services/building-and-renovation/greenbook-manual-online/025055.pdf (page 5).

Your question is in relation to the existing service panel and existing service conduit supplying that panel? And Tesla isn't going to be changing either of those but the electrician is concerned that they are currently out of compliance with the Green Book? Do you know when they were installed? Presumably it only matters if they were in compliance at the time, as Tesla won't be changing any of that.

How about a picture?

Cheers, Wayne

Your question is in relation to the existing service panel and existing service conduit supplying that panel? And Tesla isn't going to be changing either of those but the electrician is concerned that they are currently out of compliance with the Green Book? Do you know when they were installed? Presumably it only matters if they were in compliance at the time, as Tesla won't be changing any of that.

How about a picture?

Cheers, Wayne

Correct. Existing service panel and existing service conduit all passed inspection back in 2017 when we replaced the main panel. But the Tesla electrician raised the concern that it may fail the inspection and considers it as a violation therefore he won't tie in.

pge-service.jpg

The PDF you linked to is on poles, and is not applicable to your install. I would draw your attention to Section 4.6 of the Greenbook on Periscopes. It requires rigid conduit for the riser, and not EMT, and at first glance requires more straps than you have.

I'm not familiar with the fitting that is connecting your riser to the hub on your panel. If you have an accurate pair of calipers, you can distinguish between EMT and RMC by measuring the OD. For example, in 2" trade size, RMC has a 2.375" OD and EMT has a 2.197" OD.

Cheers, Wayne

Correct. Existing service panel and existing service conduit all passed inspection back in 2017 when we replaced the main panel. But the Tesla electrician raised the concern that it may fail the inspection and considers it as a violation therefore he won't tie in.

View attachment 795334
Per section 4 of the greenbook, steel periscopes must be IMC, RMC.; There is an aluminum option as well, but no EMT option.

1650380816866.png

The PDF you linked to is on poles, and is not applicable to your install. I would draw your attention to Section 4.6 of the Greenbook on Periscopes. It requires rigid conduit for the riser, and not EMT, and at first glance requires more straps than you have.

I'm not familiar with the fitting that is connecting your riser to the hub on your panel. If you have an accurate pair of calipers, you can distinguish between EMT and RMC by measuring the OD. For example, in 2" trade size, RMC has a 2.375" OD and EMT has a 2.197" OD.

Cheers, Wayne
Per section 4 of the greenbook, steel periscopes must be IMC, RMC.; There is an aluminum option as well, but no EMT option.

View attachment 795345

Interesting. I wonder why PGE passed it back in 2017 if EMT isn't allowed. Could it be that the electrician just think it's EMT but it's actually rigid lol.

I don't have any way to confirm that.