Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it hold my garbage cans? (I miss Wagons and SUVs, not liking CUVs.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would guess that a lot of new model Y owners that visit this site are not reading this specific subforum, which is, in general, devoted to general electric vehicles and not tesla in specific.

Since you are asking about model Y, you might consider posting the question directly in the model Y forum. You could also request a mod for this subforum to move it to the model Y subforum, if the focus of your questions is around model Y.

I dont have mod rights to this subforum (TMC is a very large website, and the volunteer mod duties are broken up among various people), but if you want it moved to the model Y subforum you would click the REPORT button on the bottom left of your first post, and request the thread be moved to the general model Y section. A mod with rights to this forum will move it for you after they receive the report.

I want my next vehicle to be a BEV. However, I have five requirements which so far I haven't been able to simultaneously meet.
  1. My budget limit is around $50,000.
  2. AWD or 4-Wheel drive so that with studded tires it will reliably make it up my driveway in the winter, even when my driveway is covered with black ice.
  3. Support for a roof rack to haul sea kayaks, with reasonable front and rear tie-down points.
  4. At 6'3" with most of that in my legs, the car must be comfortable for me to drive.
  5. Must have room to haul my garbage cans inside the vehicle. (I normally haul the two big ones shown below, plus boxes of recycling, and a smaller can.)
The garbage can constraint is so far proving the most difficult to satisfy. When I bought the garbage cans shown in the picture I was driving a Volvo XC70 which handled all my garbage hauling with ease. My 2009 CRV just barely accommodates a normal load, but everything does fit inside. Alas the more aerodynamic CUV profile does not work so well.

View attachment 658529

This is mostly just an I'm disappointed vent post. After a few months of BEV research, and after playing with A Better Routeplanner, I had concluded that Tesla had recently opened enough superchargers in NH and Maine to cover my routine trips to visit relatives, ski, and kayak. So I spent about two hours driving my CRV yesterday for a Model Y test drive. Unfortunately, my garbage cans didn't fit. Today I briefly looked at an ID.4 and a Mach-E, but didn't even sit in them after I confirmed my garbage cans would not fit.

I don't know of any other BEV options currently available that meet my requirements, and frankly until NH gets more non-Tesla Level 3 chargers I would need a very long range BEV vehicle to cover my routine trips during the winter. So I think I am back to waiting for new vehicle announcements. Though my wife and sister-in-law are suggesting I shop for smaller trash cans and drive to the transfer station more frequently. :rolleyes:

If anyone knows of other BEV options I should consider, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you for reading my vent post.
I can't be certain based on the photos, but it does appear that the fit was checked with the flat load floor in plate. There are two removable panels that access more volume under the rear hatch. You get a few inches up front, and over a foot more depth in the rear. This may give you the room you need.
flat floor.jpg
deeper floor.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
See if you can get an overnight test drive :)

I agree - I wouldn’t throw stuff directly in the car. Too much chance of leaking. Perhaps double bag with something like a super thick 96 gal trash bag. But I’m still not sure I would do it.

I can't be certain based on the photos, but it does appear that the fit was checked with the flat load floor in plate. There are two removable panels that access more volume under the rear hatch. You get a few inches up front, and over a foot more depth in the rear. This may give you the room you need.
The Tesla sales guy made the same suggestion. So I took the key card back, and tried again. In fairness I could somewhat precariously balance one of the two cans completely inside without the flat load plate. Alas the second can still wouldn't fit. If someone someone made a custom trash can for that deep tub, I might be able to make it work. On the other hand, I rather expect that tub to be occupied with the assorted "just in case" items that live in the car full time if I bought the car.

1-IMG_20210429_155433919_HDR.jpg

Why not put a cover over the trashcans when they are being transported outside of the vehicle
If I had to transport a trash can outside my vehicle I would definitely put a cover on it, and strap down that cover and the trash can as well.

It is not a question of could it be done. It is a question of how much time and aggravation would it take to do it compared to what I have now.

Right now going to the transfer station/dump typically includes:
  1. Open rear hatch
  2. Put flattened cardboard boxes in.
  3. Put big trash cans in on top of flattened cardboard.
  4. Put little trash can in on top of flattened cardboard.
  5. Put small recycling boxes around cans in back.
  6. Close rear hatch.
  7. Put large recycling boxes in back seat.
  8. Close rear door.
  9. Drive to transfer station's "recycling" section.
  10. Open rear door and empty rear seat recycling boxes.
  11. Open rear hatch and empty recycling boxes, nesting into rear seat boxes when empty.
  12. Close rear hatch.
  13. Drive to "trash" section of transfer station.
  14. Open rear hatch and dump the cans.
  15. Drive to "cardboard" section of transfer station.
  16. Open rear hatch.
  17. Pull cardboard out from under empty trash cans and recycle.
  18. Close rear hatch drive home.
  19. Unload rear of car.
  20. Unload back seat.
The same thing with a hitch mounted platform. Additional annoyances in bold below.
  1. Open rear hatch.
  2. Put flattened cardboard boxes in.
  3. Put little trash can(s) in on top of flattened cardboard.
  4. Put small recycling boxes around cans in back.
  5. Close rear hatch.
  6. Get out the hitch mounted platform, and install.
  7. Tie down hitch platform trash cans.
  8. Put large recycling boxes in back seat.
  9. Close rear door.
  10. Drive past transfer station's "recycling" section to "trash" section.
  11. Detach trash cans from platform,
  12. Dump the cans.
  13. Tie down hitch platform trash cans.
  14. Drive out of the dump, but immediately reenter.
  15. Drive to transfer station's "recycling" section.
  16. Open rear door and empty rear seat recycling boxes.
  17. Remove the trash cans from the hitch platform so can open rear hatch.
  18. Open rear hatch and empty recycling boxes, nesting into rear seat boxes when empty.
  19. Close rear hatch.
  20. Tie down hitch platform trash cans.
  21. Drive past "trash" section to "cardboard" section of transfer station.
  22. Remove the trash cans from the hitch platform so can open rear hatch.
  23. Open rear hatch
  24. Pull cardboard out from under empty trash cans and recycle.
  25. Close rear hatch,
  26. Tie down hitch platform trash cans.
  27. Drive home.
  28. Remove the trash cans from the hitch platform and put away.
  29. Uninstall the hitch mounted platform, and put away.
  30. Unload rear of car.
  31. Unload back seat.
Some weeks the flattened cardboard could be skipped or might fit in the back seat, which would save one opening of the rear hatch. However, occasionally I would also need to stop at some of the other dump sections like, "bulk steel," "used oil," or "large items" which might add a rear hatch opening. It might prove less annoying to load and unload full cans at the "recycling" section than to exit and re-enter the dump. Some of the details are certainly adjustable, but I think the essence is that a loaded hitch mounted platform makes access through the car's rear hatch a pain.

Also realize that moving through the transfer station slowly annoys the other patrons. For example a few individuals flatten their cardboard boxes at the dump, instead of before leaving home. At a busy time, that can be enough to cause a line for the cardboard recycling.

I cannot imagine intentionally getting myself into a situation where I felt I had to deal with something like a hitch platform nearly every seven to twelve days for the next dozen years. I also cannot imagine intentionally increasing how frequently I need to drive to the dump. Either would be extremely bad planning on my part.

You could also search up swing away hitch adapters or swing out cargo rack to find something that easily rotates out of the way for loading / unloading.
Just one example of many many I saw:
1619916483217.png

+1 on keeping the garbage on the outside.

The garbage can constraint is so far proving the most difficult to satisfy. When I bought the garbage cans shown in the picture I was driving a Volvo XC70 which handled all my garbage hauling with ease. My 2009 CRV just barely accommodates a normal load, but everything does fit inside. Alas the more aerodynamic CUV profile does not work so well.
Its a bit beyond your stated budget, but have you looked at the XC40 Recharge?

I don't know the size of your garbage cans, but the XC40 seems close to the XC70 on the specs that seem to be limiting the crossovers (cargo bed height: 29.4" vs 31.5" in XC70, 37.3" width vs 44.5"). The length behind the 2nd row is about 14" shorter than the XC70, but that can be solved folding the seats if that's not long enough.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and B_E_V
Your 2009 CRV is heavily depreciated at this point. Why not keep it as a garbage hauler and keep your Tesla clean?
My wife claims one of our parking spots, and I don't have a third parking spot available.

However, it does look like I will be keeping my 2009 CRV as my everything hauler for now. I definitely agree the CRV is pretty fully depreciated. Part of what prompted my Tesla test drive, besides dreaming of a BEV since before the days when Elon disappointed me by putting Gull Wing doors on the X eliminating the possibility of a kayak on the X's roof, is my CRV started failing state inspection this year. I unexpectedly had to spend $1,600 on repairs to pass inspection last month. I like to drive my vehicles almost into the ground. However, I prefer to sell them before I start spending more than their Blue Book value on annual repairs. It feels like I am getting close to that point with the CRV.

Ok, I carry trash in my Model Y. I didn’t think I’d ever post that use, but since you asked.

Basically I use plastic trash bags, no cans. I keep a garage garbage can lined with a $2-a-bag heavy duty trash bag. The waste company requires either a large rented trash can or the use of their prepaid trash bags for pickup.

Once or twice a week I go to the recycle site ~5 miles away. Then it’s cardboard on the bottom, boxes and miscellaneous plastic bags on top. I’m often surprised how much recycle I need to put in the Model Y.

So my suggestion is use better leaf trash bags that don’t tear. Then a blanket in the back of a Model Y will catch debris and you can move trash. Just leave the well bagged trash on pickup day at the bottom of your driveway. Leave the cans in your garage. My two cents…

A Model Y AWD LR, std 19 inch wheels, a set of Michelin Ice winter Tires (studs, really?) and a washable blanket, then I think you’d return to standard Tesla issues; home charging setup, personalized accessories, battery charge maximum setting, local SuperCharger sites, etc.

Last edited:
What I find amazing is that nobody has offered the simplest fix for the trash can issue, behold this miracle product
Perhaps because one of my previous posts in this thread included:
Skipping the trash cans, and just loading the trash bags directly into the Model Y would fit. However, then I remember the yucky liquid that I poured out of one of the cans two trips ago, and think I don't really like that solution.

Ok, I carry trash in my Model Y. I didn’t think I’d ever post that use, but since you asked.

Basically I use plastic trash bags, no cans. I keep a garage garbage can lined with a $2-a-bag heavy duty trash bag....
Thank you for replying. I appreciate the experience report. I already use Weathertech mats and waterproof reusable painting tarps to protect my CRV. I would have done something similar to protect the Model Y anyway. I also already use heavy leaf bags for the kitchen trash, instead of standard light-weight kitchen bags.

Now I am very slowly softening to the idea of just giving up on the "suspenders" of trash cans, and trusting the bags I already use anyway. Perhaps double bagged in monster bags which fit my 32 gallon cans as suggested by @mk677.

A Model Y AWD LR, std 19 inch wheels, a set of Michelin Ice winter Tires (studs, really?) and a washable blanket, then I think you’d return to standard Tesla issues; home charging setup, personalized accessories, battery charge maximum setting, local SuperCharger sites, etc.

@Thp3, I hope you will let me add the factory tow hitch (as a kayak tie down point, and just in case), and get factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires instead of the Michelins. Yes, ever since my Volvo XC70 wouldn't make it up the driveway despite winter tires, I have been a convert to studded tires. I've since found that if you are going studded, go factory studded! Yes studs are noisy, hurt mileage, and don't have as much traction on dry pavement. However, they always get me up and down my driveway safely, without my having to pay the plow guy around $100 extra each storm for salt and sand.

@Thp3, I hope you will let me add the factory tow hitch (as a kayak tie down point, and just in case), and get factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires instead of the Michelins. Yes, ever since my Volvo XC70 wouldn't make it up the driveway despite winter tires, I have been a convert to studded tires. I've since found that if you are going studded, go factory studded! Yes studs are noisy, hurt mileage, and don't have as much traction on dry pavement. However, they always get me up and down my driveway safely, without my having to pay the plow guy around $100 extra each storm for salt and sand.

When I lived in West Virginia, studded tires were common options. I chose sawdust retreads which gave me more traction on the icy hills than the winter tires on other cars. But on pavement studs are very destructive. What about chains, easy on and easy off?

Yes, I have a tow hitch too. I forgot that option. Oops. And I’m not sure about roof racks? And WeatherTech liners in back would catch any leaking fluids.

Owning a Tesla is a continuous learning experience. In my nearly three years, only stones cracking the windshield, seat beats and the tires wearing down are the same as the old ICE Cars. Yeah, the steering wheel kinda behaves the same and the brake and acceleration petals are in the same spots, but… The steering wheel has a torque gauge for Autopilot and you rarely use the brake with regenerative braking, and with cruise control and autopilot you don’t use the accelerator much either.

I have to teach my friends how to open the door AND how to unlock it from the inside. When I forget to do that, they get upset and find the emergency release to unlock the door. Then they get captivated by the large map screen, looking at the map, then looking out the window…

I'm sure you’ll like owning a Tesla.

Perhaps because one of my previous posts in this thread included:

Thank you for replying. I appreciate the experience report. I already use Weathertech mats and waterproof reusable painting tarps to protect my CRV. I would have done something similar to protect the Model Y anyway. I also already use heavy leaf bags for the kitchen trash, instead of standard light-weight kitchen bags.

Now I am very slowly softening to the idea of just giving up on the "suspenders" of trash cans, and trusting the bags I already use anyway. Perhaps double bagged in monster bags which fit my 32 gallon cans as suggested by @mk677.

the nokian hakkas are the best snow tire I've ever encountered. the studs IMHO are unnecessary, the tires are great in snow without them. however they are noisy on dry pavement and probably will affect the range of the car

But on pavement studs are very destructive. What about chains, easy on and easy off?

I first purchased chains for the Volvo when it could not make it up my driveway. However, I quickly discovered chains are usually rated "avoid speeds over 30 mph." Chains are also only intended for use on snow and ice-covered roads Yet frequently our driveway will have sections of black ice while the public streets are clear pavement. The day of a snow storm is rarely our problem. It is water from the melting snow banks running down the driveway and creating black ice that cause the issues. I quickly learned with the Volvo that chains are no fun to put on at the top of the driveway, take off at the bottom of the driveway, then repeat when you return home.

Within about a week I had tossed newish winter tires in favor of cheap studded tires. In later years I started buying factory studded tires which are quieter, seem to have better traction, and might not be chewing up our driveway as much. Even with studs our vehicles still sometimes struggle, but have always made it up. They are also no longer as scary going down the driveway, though they still sometimes slide a few car lengths. Despite the studs, my wife still occasionally has me drive her car down the driveway on really bad days. Then she walks down wearing spikes.

I observe the studs permitted dates for neighboring Massachusetts, but New Hampshire actually permits studded tires year round. There are no perfect solutions, but for my situation studded tires are the least bad.

the nokian hakkas are the best snow tire I've ever encountered. the studs IMHO are unnecessary, the tires are great in snow without them. however they are noisy on dry pavement and probably will affect the range of the car
I don't need studs for snow. I need studs for black ice on the hill known as my driveway.

They decrease my miles per gallon by roughly 10% when driving the CRV. I suspect they will hurt a BEV's range by at least as much.

Reactions: Thp3
I want my next vehicle to be a BEV. However, I have five requirements which so far I haven't been able to simultaneously meet.
  1. My budget limit is around $50,000.
  2. AWD or 4-Wheel drive so that with studded tires it will reliably make it up my driveway in the winter, even when my driveway is covered with black ice.
  3. Support for a roof rack to haul sea kayaks, with reasonable front and rear tie-down points.
  4. At 6'3" with most of that in my legs, the car must be comfortable for me to drive.
  5. Must have room to haul my garbage cans inside the vehicle. (I normally haul the two big ones shown below, plus boxes of recycling, and a smaller can.)

View attachment 658529

This is mostly just an I'm disappointed vent post. After a few months of BEV research, and after playing with A Better Routeplanner, I had concluded that Tesla had recently opened enough superchargers in NH and Maine to cover my routine trips to visit relatives, ski, and kayak. So I spent about two hours driving my CRV yesterday for a Model Y test drive. Unfortunately, my garbage cans didn't fit. Today I briefly looked at an ID.4 and a Mach-E, but didn't even sit in them after I confirmed my garbage cans would not fit.

I don't know of any other BEV options currently available that meet my requirements, and frankly until NH gets more non-Tesla Level 3 chargers I would need a very long range BEV vehicle to cover my routine trips during the winter. So I think I am back to waiting for new vehicle announcements. Though my wife and sister-in-law are suggesting I shop for smaller trash cans and drive to the transfer station more frequently. :rolleyes:

If anyone knows of other BEV options I should consider, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you for reading my vent post.
I'm with "Team Smaller Garbage Cans". I put out a bin your size for emptying about once every 6 weeks. Love your comparison shopping. I had to do the same thing with a harp rather than a garbage can. My new Model Y is so fantastic it is hard for me to imagine anyone not adjusting size of cans in order to have one. Have fun shopping!

Reactions: tm1v2 and B_E_V