Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Jan 2022 deliveries be 2022 models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

Recently ordered the Y and my estimated date right now is January 2022. Does that mean that myself and others in the same boat will be receiving the 2022 models? I know it's really just a number but curious.

Hi all!

Recently ordered the Y and my estimated date right now is January 2022. Does that mean that myself and others in the same boat will be receiving the 2022 models? I know it's really just a number but curious.
Not necessarily, as it depends on what VIN is assigned to your order. If and older VIN (which does happen), it will be a 2021. If a VIN fresh from the factory is assigned, it will be a 2022.

Reactions: ringo279
Hi all!

For the last few years, Tesla has started next year production in October after Q3. So it would be assumed 2022 will start October 1, 2021.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Yea Tesla is trying to offload all their 2021 demos right now. 2022 should be in showrooms in Nov.

From what I gather, Jan 2022 will be getting the 2022 build. My buddy ordered the last week of Aug. and his date got pushed back to March the other day.

Has Tesla ever done an sort of significant refresh at the time of a model year change? My understanding these two events are independent. The resale value is the issue that I see. Also, by being pushed later there could be a vote on the EV tax credit bill. So if I’m looking at late October and there would be a tax credit of $8000 if I simply wait until January that would be tough to pass on. That would be 13% off for my MYP build, essentially making the vehicle more than tax-free which would be great.

Has Tesla ever done an sort of significant refresh at the time of a model year change? My understanding these two events are independent. The resale value is the issue that I see. Also, by being pushed later there could be a vote on the EV tax credit bill. So if I’m looking at late October and there would be a tax credit of $8000 if I simply wait until January that would be tough to pass on. That would be 13% off for my MYP build, essentially making the vehicle more than tax-free which would be great.
@Jbapckfan I think, based on the last two years of Tesla's practices, that cars manufactured after October 1st will carry the "NF" (2022) VIN coding. I also suspect there will be some changes as well, like the adaptation of the MIC and US M3 door inserts (more incremental changes). We also see incremental changes throughout the model year. For example, during the 2021 model year Bio Defense mode and acoustic side glass were implemented.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
I think tax credit is not cash. It only means that your taxable income is $8,000 less

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
Yea Tesla is trying to offload all their 2021 demos right now. 2022 should be in showrooms in Nov.

From what I gather, Jan 2022 will be getting the 2022 build. My buddy ordered the last week of Aug. and his date got pushed back to March the other day.
The offloading of demos had to do with closing the quarter. They sold off demos in Q2 as well (I couldnt even find a car to test drive back then)

Effectively an $8000 off coupon. How the heck do they know if you qualify though? If you make too much money but receive the $8000 off do you make up for it later when you file?
the credits are non-refundable tax credits, as opposed to refundable tax credits. That means that the credits can only be applied to the taxes you owe in a given year, and if you received more in credits than you owe in taxes, you will not receive the difference in the form of a check. So if you get back every year and not owe you receive $0.00 tax credit. Also Tesla does not qualify for tax credits because the car has to be under $50,000 to qualify.

the credits are non-refundable tax credits, as opposed to refundable tax credits. That means that the credits can only be applied to the taxes you owe in a given year, and if you received more in credits than you owe in taxes, you will not receive the difference in the form of a check. So if you get back every year and not owe you receive $0.00 tax credit. Also Tesla does not qualify for tax credits because the car has to be under $50,000 to qualify.
The model Y is an SUV. It has a higher cut-off price than a sedan. It would qualify in many configurations.