Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will lifetime unlimited supercharging canceled with 16 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally understand that cars manufactured in or before 2016 have lifetime unlimited transferable supercharging.

I was looking for a used 16 model X with full self driving and free transferable supercharging. I surprisely see that one 16 MX with FSD from dealership (not Tesla) doesn’t have free supercharging? How come?

I suspect Tesla remove the FUSC when upgrading to FSD computer and MCU2?

is it possible to find one car with these options?

Tesla removes this on CPO cars. If you need that (this is usually overestimated because even on longer trips you fill up before the start and when you arrive which usually is on your own dime) you have to look for one where it has not yet been removed so a third party dealer or private sale.

Tesla allows Free Supercharging For Life to be transfered only once to a new owner.

If you buy from a private party, you can often transfer that benefit to the new owner...but only once.

In the case of buying from a dealership, that usually results in at least two transfers...from the seller to the dealership, then transfer again to the new buyer. Once notified of the 2nd transfer Tesla's policy is to remove FSL.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Unless you drive a massive amount away from home, FUSC shouldn't be a prime deciding factor. I have FUSC, and I drive a lot, but over the past year, I have only saved maybe $200. I would honestly look for features that you want, and if it doesn't come with FUSC, then oh well. In the long run its nice to have, but the savings aren't all that special on a very expensive car.

I'd much rather have unlimited premium connectivity. Thats something I use daily.

Unless you drive a massive amount away from home, FUSC shouldn't be a prime deciding factor. I have FUSC, and I drive a lot, but over the past year, I have only saved maybe $200. I would honestly look for features that you want, and if it doesn't come with FUSC, then oh well. In the long run its nice to have, but the savings aren't all that special on a very expensive car.

I'd much rather have unlimited premium connectivity. Thats something I use daily.

It really depends on the owner and the cost of electricity. I charge primarily on the SC network and am saving $300-500/mo

Tesla allows Free Supercharging For Life to be transfered only once to a new owner.

If you buy from a private party, you can often transfer that benefit to the new owner...but only once.

In the case of buying from a dealership, that usually results in at least two transfers...from the seller to the dealership, then transfer again to the new buyer. Once notified of the 2nd transfer Tesla's policy is to remove FSL.

Do you have a source for this? Because there are so many exceptions, speaking specifically about the X delivered before 4/2017, FUSC should be VIN bound and should be able to transfer to an unlimited number of owners.

there are 2 types of FUSC promotions when you buy the car: 1. for the lifetime of the vehicle, and 2. for the duration of the vehicle's ownership.

you can only transfer FUSC if the original owner had bought it for the lifetime of the vehicle. This happened to a 2020 X I bought from the owner; unfortunately his promotion was the 2nd case.