Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will M3 be released as MY 2017 or 2018?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then I expect early buyers who take delivery of M3 in 2017 will be rewarded with the worst resale values due to easily being identified as "early production" versions that had a relatively high number of kinks....
They can call the first cars 2019 models and they'll still be subject to any early production kinks. People will know you have an early edition when you go to sell it later by looking at the VIN. Early adopters always "pay the price" for being early adopters. Your other choice is to defer placing your order until you feel the teething problems have been resolved.

The VINs we have seen on cars so far have 2017 for the year code.

There is this idiotic turf battle among other car companies to be first with the new model year.
If you sell your 2017 model next year, people may value it less as "last year's model".
If you buy an early 2018 car this year, you may avoid some of the year transition depreciation.
At least that is how I view it - manufacturers tell a small fib to spur end of year sales to the next year model.

Tesla doesn't appear to play that game.

• Helpful
Reactions: melindav and Lunarx
Yes. Contradictory. I am bitter about something that should not really matter. Unexplainable, yet honest.
It does matter, because you are forced into keeping a car long term, when you might desire to get out of it sooner.

Unfortunately, all cars are depreciating like crazy, with the expensive cars being the most brutal.
One needs to be more cautious what they buy, as more money is at risk these days.

Model years are an example of corporate greed and auto makers being allowed to do whatever they want. What other product uses model years? Airplanes? Boats? Refrigerators? Cordless drills?

Model years gradually getting earlier and earlier, to the point where you can drive a 2017 car in August 2016, is just the automakers' sales departments thinking that consumers will think it is a brand new car longer, for more profit for the automaker.

OP - "paid", not "payed".

They can call the first cars 2019 models and they'll still be subject to any early production kinks. People will know you have an early edition when you go to sell it later by looking at the VIN. Early adopters always "pay the price" for being early adopters. Your other choice is to defer placing your order until you feel the teething problems have been resolved.
:) that's what I did. Delayed till 3pm when I could've signed up at 8am. Should put me solidly into 2018.