TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will m3 have factory tint on rear passenger and back window?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SlicedBr3ad, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

In Florida, many cars come with factory windows tint for rear passengers and rear window (specifically SUVs, not sure about cars). Is that something m3 will have? I've not seen any production m3 with tinted windows.

2. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

No. DOT regulations prohibit a manufacturer from tinting a passenger vehicle. SUV's count as a truck.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. sperkin

sperkin Member

Dealer probably put on a $50 tint and charged people $500 for it as dealer installed options.

4. souslik

souslik Member

They should consider factory tint for international markets. I would gladly pay for it

• Like x 2
  5. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

I did not now that, especially the SUV's. I finally learned something useful besides no FM radio and mechanical door opener.

• Love x 1
  6. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

It does have a mechanical door opener in the front. The back it looks like no. FM radio? Thats old school. streaming radio is the new deal!

7. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

I really hate the tinted windows on SUVs, it blocks visibility for cars behind the SUVs, adding to the fact that SUVs already block more visibility compared with passenger cars due to their size, making it even more likely that SUVs can get rear ended. I'd like to know more about the logic behind this, why trucks/SUVs can have tinted back windows while passenger cars can't.

• Like x 1
  8. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Especially considering I can go to any tint vendor and get it installed on a car. Does not make sense why cars are not allowed.

Tint is like wheels in Florida sun, you need it on any car.

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Different states have different laws and requirements. Some states allow very little tint, while others like ours down South allow very heavy tinting. Clearly a manufacturer is not going to offer different options for different states, just not practical. Some people don't want tint no matter where they live.

SUVs have the rear tinting mostly for privacy and security reasons. As there is no trunk, any belongings or items would be readily visible to someone wanting to break into your car. Granted, even SUVs get broken into, but given the choice I'm sure the thief would break into a car with known items visible versus another that may or may not have something of value.

• Helpful x 1
  10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Then why don't hatchbacks (like the Model S) come with tinting? Sounds like a bogus reason to me. All SUVs I've ever had came with rear storage covers.

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Well, hatchback would still be classified as a car, not a SUV. It's been a while since I've dug into this, but the federal and state standards all depend on how the vehicle is classified. The classification then dictates on the applicable tinting location and allowance.

Conversely, I've never had an SUV with a storage cover. But they have always had 3rd row, so not that large of rear area exposed.

• Like x 1
  12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I agree it's all about the classification, and nothing whatsoever to do with actual reasons that make any sense.

• Like x 3