Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Mercedes jump to level 3 before Tesla? Looks like it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suing a person for an accident is quite different than suing a multi-billion dollar company. Joe Blow isn't going to pay out $50M, but Mercedes can...
In addition, the jury dynamics are quite different when it’s a big corporation.

Eventually what I suspect will happen is the corporations themselves will pay insurance companies to essentially insure their self driving code. Regardless, I agree on the need for tort reform and legislation regarding automated driving systems. I just doubt there’s the political will for eitehr.

General George S. Patton died from a slow speed car crash....
His limousine driver rear ended another car and he broke his neck when he hit the partition. No seatbelt obviously. You can clearly die from a low speed collision but if you're seat belted in a modern car it's incredibly rare. Not put the restrictions that Mercedes has - on a controlled access highway, good weather, staying in your lane... Pretty sure the number would be zero.

Not sure if already posted.

Most recent one: Real Autosteer Edge Case
Though it's quite possible at low speeds it wouldn't have been a problem. At lower speeds Autopilot seems to have no awareness of people merging into your lane (even semi trucks!). It surprises me that some people never have to disengage.
according the article that @vapor trail posted, tunnels are another circumstance that Mercedes excludes. As are wet roads. And construction. or narrowing lanes.

Notably, the article stated that you could use your phone with the system engaged (contradicting earlier posts in this thread.) The author stated he rarely went longer than 30 seconds because of all the limitations. "Mercedes has won the race to a production implementation of Level 3 driving automation, but in a sensible and unexciting way."

As I've said before, I don't think Mercedes had made any huge technological leap in abilities that other companies like Tesla haven't, and the actual use for the system is incredibly limited, but it's still at least some progress in the self-driving front.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how many people are killed annually by cars driving under 40mph on the freeway? I’m guessing it’s probably 0?
I bet many pedestrians are killed (for example emergency responders and people changing tires).
according the article that @vapor trail posted, tunnels are another circumstance that Mercedes excludes. As are wet roads. And construction. or narrowing lanes.

Notably, the article stated that you could use your phone with the system engaged (contradicting earlier posts in this thread.) The author stated he rarely went longer than 30 seconds because of all the limitations. "Mercedes has won the race to a production implementation of Level 3 driving automation, but in a sensible and unexciting way."

As I've said before, I don't think Mercedes had made any huge technological leap in abilities that other companies like Tesla haven't, and the actual use for the system is incredibly limited, but it's still at least some progress in the self-driving front.
I'm not aware of any tunnels on interstates in California and it doesn't rain here. :p
The construction zone limitation would be a problem. The I-5 in north San Diego county has been under construction for years and that's definitely somewhere you could use it daily if not for that restriction.
Being able to use my phone would be nice for sure, I'd have more time to argue on TMC.
I think it's way more difficult than you think to go from the reliability of Autopilot to the reliability required for Drive Pilot (again I'm not saying that Mercedes has actually achieved it).

So are you saying that Mercedes Benz are contributing to traffic jams?
...As is VW, and Toyota, and Ford, and BMW, and....

Actually, one concern that's been raised with FSD technology is that time wasted driving is a natural disincentive. If everyone has a car capable of FSD and they can sit and read a book while the car drives it could lead to worse traffic congestion.

...As is VW, and Toyota, and Ford, and BMW, and....

Actually, one concern that's been raised with FSD technology is that time wasted driving is a natural disincentive. If everyone has a car capable of FSD and they can sit and read a book while the car drives it could lead to worse traffic congestion.
Worse it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy...by so many L3 cars creating permanent 45mph traffic jams....electric vehicles causing massive pollution...

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
I'm not aware of any tunnels on interstates in California and it doesn't rain here. :p
Here in Northern California there are tunnels.

There's the Yerba Buena Tunnel connecting to the Bay Bridge on I-80 (the most congested interstate in northern California).
Yerba Buena Tunnel - Wikipedia
There's also the Caldecott Tunnel. It's not on an interstate, but it's on a multilane controlled access state freeway (SR-24), so functionally the same. This route is also one of the most congested routes in California.
Caldecott Tunnel - Wikipedia
Before the pandemic, both of these routes were ranked in the top 10 most congested in the Bay Area (including the portion with the tunnel):
https://mtc.ca.gov/sites/default/files/top_10_congestion_locations-2016.pdf

Here in the Bay Area, even though it pretty much never snows, it rains about 70 days per year on average.

Reactions: silenteski
Here in Northern California there are tunnels.

There's the Yerba Buena Tunnel connecting to the Bay Bridge on I-80 (the most congested interstate in northern California).
Yerba Buena Tunnel - Wikipedia
There's also the Caldecott Tunnel. It's not on an interstate, but it's on a multilane controlled access state freeway (SR-24), so functionally the same. This route is also one of the most congested routes in California.
Caldecott Tunnel - Wikipedia
Before the pandemic, both of these routes were ranked in the top 10 most congested in the Bay Area (including the portion with the tunnel):
https://mtc.ca.gov/sites/default/files/top_10_congestion_locations-2016.pdf

Here in the Bay Area, even though it pretty much never snows, it rains about 70 days per year on average.

In comparison to most of the Bay Area, very few tunnels. Peninsula, South Bay, SF, most of East Bay. If you drive through one of those tunnels and have to take over for 30 seconds, it’s not a big deal imo.

Worse it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy...by so many L3 cars creating permanent 45mph traffic jams....electric vehicles causing massive pollution...

So you’re saying that so many people actually want self driving cars under 40mph that it would create more traffic? 😛

I’m just speaking for myself. But clearly many of you here in this thread have no interest in cars that can drive you around under 40mph, so why would there be more traffic?

Reactions: Bouba
So you’re saying that so many people actually want self driving cars under 40mph that it would create more traffic? 😛

I’m just speaking for myself. But clearly many of you here in this thread have no interest in cars that can drive you around under 40mph, so why would there me more traffic?
I think that is how nature evolves...all creatures find their niche in the environment that suits their strengths and protects them from their weaknesses....so Mercedes Benz (and other L3 cars of their ilk)..create their perfect operating environment....they can’t do anything else..its nature

I think that is how nature evolves...all creatures find their niche in the environment that suits their strengths and protects them from their weaknesses....so Mercedes Benz (and other L3 cars of their ilk)..create their perfect operating environment....they can’t do anything else..its nature
So, will Mercedes navigation have a setting to prefer traffic jams?

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605 and Bouba
all silently creeping along... until that one person accelerates just enough to break that 45 MPH ceiling. Suddenly all the cars start binging, telling their drivers to wake up, but some are fast asleep and the cars come to a complete stop. It'll be horrible!

all silently creeping along... until that one person accelerates just enough to break that 45 MPH ceiling. Suddenly all the cars start binging, telling their drivers to wake up, but some are fast asleep and the cars come to a complete stop. It'll be horrible!
You can't sleep in a L3 car, Mercedes has a sleep detection system to prevent this (I'm glad they do instead of trusting the driver).