Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Mercedes jump to level 3 before Tesla? Looks like it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all silently creeping along... until that one person accelerates just enough to break that 45 MPH ceiling. Suddenly all the cars start binging, telling their drivers to wake up, but some are fast asleep and the cars come to a complete stop. It'll be horrible!
They won’t allow it to happen...it will be like 2001 A Space Odyssey...only in a traffic jam

Reactions: sleepydoc
Tesla could do that right now if they wanted too. The system works well enough under 40 mph with no stoplights or turns to allow level 3 driving. They are just choosing not to do it.
Why are they choosing not to? They have released far worse software into consumer hands that don't seem safe without human supervision. Take Summon, for instance, it creeps at less than 1 mile an hour and still manages to hit things but they still chose to release it. If they had the capability they would release it and sell it for more than 12K.

Reactions: momo3605
Why are they choosing not to?
Liability. Duh.

With summon, you need to have a complete line of site of your car and it’s surroundings at all time and they are very clear you are responsible for your car when under summon.

With level three driving, Tesla assumes responsibility for damages due to a crash while using the software.

I work from home, so i mostly avoid driving anywhere during traffic hours, but if i could sit in a traffic jam and use my phone or watch videos, i'd be more likely to go places
Even if it is is 2 minutes of watching and 3 minutes of driving ?

Personally I’d consider 45 mph slow on freeways.

Won’t be driving in those conditions unless I have to.

Reactions: totoro722
Looks like Mercedes is testing in Los Angeles (of course. haha).
They got rear ended on the 710 freeeway.
While departing from a standstill in heavy traffic with L3 ADS engaged, the subject Mercedes-Benz vehicle was struck in the rear bumper by a large semi-truck. No injuries were reported. The contact from the truck resulted in two minor scratches and two indentations on the rear bumper of the subject Mercedes-Benz. The driver of the truck did not pull over after the collision and departed the scene. After a police report was initiated, the subject Mercedes-Benz drove away from the incident location. Further inspection of the vehicle revealed no additional damage beyond the cosmetic dents and surface scratches on the Mercedes-Benz.
Phantom braking?

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and sleepydoc
Looks like Mercedes is testing in Los Angeles (of course. haha).
They got rear ended on the 710 freeeway.

Phantom braking?
It was implied that the Mercedes was not at fault (that it was accelerating at the time), but I do wonder either way if Mercedes will cover the repair tab for this given it was operating in L3 mode at the time. Basically does the car have to be deemed to be the "at fault" party for Mercedes to cover liability for accidents under L3 mode, or is it in all cases?

It was implied that the Mercedes was not at fault (that it was accelerating at the time), but I do wonder either way if Mercedes will cover the repair tab for this given it was operating in L3 mode at the time. Basically does the car have to be deemed to be the "at fault" party for Mercedes to cover liability for accidents under L3 mode, or is it in all cases?
I'm not sure how California laws work but unless the Mercedes brake-checked the car behind it (highly unlikely if it was using autopilot) then this accident is virtually guaranteed to be 100% the fault of the driver behind.

I'm not sure how California laws work but unless the Mercedes brake-checked the car behind it (highly unlikely if it was using autopilot) then this accident is virtually guaranteed to be 100% the fault of the driver behind.

Someone correct me but with the Tesla if your not in self drive and you just take your foot off the gas the brake comes on immediately. Obviously because your one petal driving. On a regular gas car the brake long only comes on when you hit the brake. So right off the bat I would expect Tesla vs ICE to trigger the brakes more often. With FSD it’s been my experience that the car uses the brakes a lot more - phantom braking example. That plus FSD putting on turn signals, then right on, then on again or going left but with a right turn signal on.

Now this specific incident likely has nothing to do with my comments above. But my point is that Tesla (and EV and other one petal cars) can be confusing and frustrating to regular drivers. Add in FSD and that makes it even more so. I can tell this by how other drivers respond to my FSD and how YouTubes show others responding.

FSD just doesn’t drive like a regular driver in an ICE car. If the driver behind is impatient I can see how more accidents happen this way. It’s not (necessarily) the Mercedes fault but you can see how it’s irregularities could contribute to the likelihood of it happening.

Someone correct me but with the Tesla if your not in self drive and you just take your foot off the gas the brake comes on immediately. Obviously because your one petal driving. On a regular gas car the brake long only comes on when you hit the brake.

Ok, you're wrong :) (sort of)

On most EVs when you take your foot off the accelerator you get slowdown from regen, not the mechanical brakes.

But this also happens on some (but not all) gas cars-- both actual regen on hybrids--- and engine/compression braking on pure gas cars (especially manuals with the clutch left engaged, or even automatics with thinks like sport shifting).

but I do wonder either way if Mercedes will cover the repair tab for this given it was operating in L3 mode at the time. Basically does the car have to be deemed to be the "at fault" party for Mercedes to cover liability for accidents under L3 mode, or is it in all cases?

Why would Mercedes cover liability for accidents where they are not at-fault? The at-fault driver’s insurance would cover in that case.

Someone correct me but with the Tesla if your not in self drive and you just take your foot off the gas the brake comes on immediately. Obviously because your one petal driving. On a regular gas car the brake long only comes on when you hit the brake. So right off the bat I would expect Tesla vs ICE to trigger the brakes more often. With FSD it’s been my experience that the car uses the brakes a lot more - phantom braking example. That plus FSD putting on turn signals, then right on, then on again or going left but with a right turn signal on.

Now this specific incident likely has nothing to do with my comments above. But my point is that Tesla (and EV and other one petal cars) can be confusing and frustrating to regular drivers. Add in FSD and that makes it even more so. I can tell this by how other drivers respond to my FSD and how YouTubes show others responding.

FSD just doesn’t drive like a regular driver in an ICE car. If the driver behind is impatient I can see how more accidents happen this way. It’s not (necessarily) the Mercedes fault but you can see how it’s irregularities could contribute to the likelihood of it happening.
No, not really. First, you need to distinguish between braking and deceleration/regenerative braking. Regenerative braking uses the motors as generators to slow the car. Under most conditions, Teslas decelerate, not brake. More importantly, though, they turn on the brake lights when deceleration exceeds a certain threshold. Someone driving a Tesla with one pedal driving will appear the same as any other car to the car behind it.

FSD behaving erratically certainly can confuse other drivers, but that is a completely separate issue.

Reactions: nvx1977
Why would Mercedes cover liability for accidents where they are not at-fault? The at-fault driver’s insurance would cover in that case.
Sometimes the at-fault driver runs away, as in this case. There are also cases where a car is technically not at fault, but they did something unpredictable that contributed to the accident (and in jurisdictions where there is partial fault this may play a factor).

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605