Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Mercedes jump to level 3 before Tesla? Looks like it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to see they are testing in real world conditions and not just the 5 minutes test they claimed was demanding. I guess they will be filing CA report showing miles driven, if they haven’t already ?
The only one saying they were going to test for 5 minutes was you lol. Of course they will test diligently so they can make sure the system is safe and not have to pay out with at-fault accidents all the time.

Sometimes the at-fault driver runs away, as in this case.

Yea that's true, and totally BS imo, and then you're required to pay extra to have uninsured motorist insurance to cover for those people that just run away. I assume Mercedes will cover in those instances. Either use cameras to capture plate info, dashcam footage, etc... If they don't, how can owners have confidence in the system, they wouldn't pay for it otherwise

On a regular gas car the brake long only comes on when you hit the brake. So right off the bat I would expect Tesla vs ICE to trigger the brakes more often.

It's hard to say. In a manual transmission with a lot of engine braking that may well make less use of the brake lights than a Tesla. But it depends on the human driver and their habits in both the EV & the ICE vehicle. For me I suspect the brake light use is similar. It's relatively easy to use modest regen without engaging the brake lights - you just have to use regen conservatively. The brake lights actuation is related to the g forces and you can get a lot of regen at high speeds with quite low g force (so especially at high speed I think it's fairly easy to avoid triggering the brake lights). In the end it's about being smooth and determining how aggressively you want to stop, which is largely controlled by the driver and their ability to anticipate.

With FSD it’s been my experience that the car uses the brakes a lot more - phantom braking example.
Yeah, that's because it is really bad at driving properly & smoothly. Sudden jerks are going to show up as high g force and will trigger brake lights.

Add in FSD and that makes it even more so. I can tell this by how other drivers respond to my FSD and how YouTubes show others responding.
Yes, again, FSD is quite bad at driving like a reasonable human driver in acceleration/speed profile.

FSD just doesn’t drive like a regular driver in an ICE car.
It also doesn't drive like a regular driver in an EV!

My point is that the issues with FSD & it potentially brake checking people are entirely unrelated to it being an EV and whether or not the brake lights come on. An optimal implementation would only use the brake lights when it's appropriate. This is most certainly not the case at the moment.

I have no idea how smooth Mercedes is. I assume Mercedes drivers would not put up with a lack of smoothness. But will be impossible to know without experiencing it (can't get it from a video unless they include an accelerometer readout)

Reactions: sleepydoc
When I drive an ice car on the freeway, if I’m slowing down by coasting, I always dab the brake pedal so the car behind knows that I’m slowing. The brake light while regen is one of the things that I really like about Teslas

Just keep in mind that the brake light on a Tesla is triggered by a deceleration threshold, so if you let off the accelerator just enough to coast, or barely regen on a highway, the brake light will not come on. At high speeds, like on the highway, you have to regen very hard for the brake lights to come on.

This used to be verified much more easily when your car in the visualization was bigger. I used to watch the taillights like a hawk to learn the conditions in which the brake lights are illuminated. And the new FSDb versions make it even harder to check because now when you pinch to zoom the visualization, it snaps back to default view almost immediately. You need to pinch and hold your position to keep it zoomed in.

Just keep in mind that the brake light on a Tesla is triggered by a deceleration threshold, so if you let off the accelerator just enough to coast, or barely regen on a highway, the brake light will not come on. At high speeds, like on the highway, you have to regen very hard for the brake lights to come on.

This used to be verified much more easily when your car in the visualization was bigger. I used to watch the taillights like a hawk to learn the conditions in which the brake lights are illuminated. And the new FSDb versions make it even harder to check because now when you pinch to zoom the visualization, it snaps back to default view almost immediately. You need to pinch and hold your position to keep it zoomed in.

Aren’t you more or less aware of how the brake lights work at this point? Not sure why you would want to see them every time. I know They come on when you’re slowing down. Good enough for me lol

Aren’t you more or less aware of how the brake lights work at this point? Not sure why you would want to see them every time. I know They come on when you’re slowing down. Good enough for me lol

Yes, I was pointing out that there was a way to tell when the brake lights come on from the visualization, but for newer owners, it's not really that practical to use it.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Good to see they are testing in real world conditions and not just the 5 minutes test they claimed was demanding. I guess they will be filing CA report showing miles driven, if they haven’t already ?
I think miles are reported at the end of the year. There's probably no way they'll test enough to statistically prove it's safe. I'm guessing the rate of deadly collisions in traffic jams is extremely low. Hopefully they're very confident it won't hit pedestrians. I wonder how it react if it's a lane next to the shoulder with someone outside of their car or just about to get out of their car.

I hate it when people use their brakes on the freeway. Please look at what's happening several cars in front of you and you'll be able to predict the future.
This is also why I hate using Autopilot in traffic jams if the person in front of me isn't looking several cars ahead.
My prediction is that Mercedes system will also be garbage as it will rely on a Lidar sensor that can only see the car directly in front of it.

I hate it when people use their brakes on the freeway. Please look at what's happening several cars in front of you and you'll be able to predict the future.
This is also why I hate using Autopilot in traffic jams if the person in front of me isn't looking several cars ahead.
My prediction is that Mercedes system will also be garbage as it will rely on a Lidar sensor that can only see the car directly in front of it.
Yes, vision is the only solution.

I hate it more when people don't use their brakes

I hate it more when people don't use their brakes
Yes, please use your brakes when necessary. haha.
Once when I was a teenager the car in front of me collided with the car in front of them at about 40mph and I hadn't left enough room to stop with the horrible brakes and tires of my 1987 Toyota Corolla. Both large cars in front of me were completely wrecked but somehow I got blamed for 10% of the damage to the first car when all I had was a broken headlight. Still upset about that. haha.

What's stopping tesla from having a subset of this functionality for Europe? As long as they allow sales of FSD in Europe they should do whatever they can to enable the parts that are actually allowed.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

What's stopping tesla from having a subset of this functionality for Europe? As long as they allow sales of FSD in Europe they should do whatever they can to enable the parts that are actually allowed.
LIDAR.
Just kidding :p

I think it's for the same reason they don't have it in the US, it's really hard to do.

• Funny
Reactions: emmz0r