Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 battery pack be able to rapidly exchanged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
The California regulation promoting fast "refueling" to promote hydrogen got dropped once Tesla showed they could swap batteries quickly and meet the requirement ment to promote hydrogen. Tesla seemed to drop interest in swappable stations. Will the Model 3 pack be fast swappable like the S & X or will that be a feature dropped to save costs since no one can presently do it?

Well the feature is really just part of the install isn't it? So they still have to put it in at the factory. That means the feature is still there.
It will be a completely new pack with a different battery format and width & length. I would assume there is additional costs in making a pack that can be rapidly swapped out, if there is no place to swap it, why bother?

I can't see a reason for Tesla to change how the battery pack is installed. Even if there are no current plans to perform the rapid battery pack exchange (due to some very good reasons), Tesla would still need the ability to change battery packs if one fails in the field. The system they have works. Why change it?

The California regulation promoting fast "refueling" to promote hydrogen got dropped once Tesla showed they could swap batteries quickly and meet the requirement ment to promote hydrogen. Tesla seemed to drop interest in swappable stations. Will the Model 3 pack be fast swappable like the S & X or will that be a feature dropped to save costs since no one can presently do it?

Interesting question. Seeing the need to replace and repair batteries in the S as a guideline, it seems that this capability should be part of "good design" so that Tesla can repair and replace faulty battery packs quicker, not necessarily for the expired credits that battery swapping provided.

I think the OP is referring to the battery swapping station Tesla has. IIRC it is still in operation but not used very much due to lack of convenience. Whether the model 3 can take advantage of that or not ... we'll need to wait and see.

I think the OP is referring to the battery swapping station Tesla has. IIRC it is still in operation but not used very much due to lack of convenience. Whether the model 3 can take advantage of that or not ... we'll need to wait and see.
No more swapping,
Tesla shuts down battery swap program in favor of Superchargers, for now

S and X battery warranty replacements are a pretty rare event, right? SC don't have the automated swap station so they do it manually so maybe a couple more hours of labor to remove a M3 battery pack isn't a big deal.

Reactions: mattmass
Seeing the need to replace and repair batteries in the S as a guideline, it seems that this capability should be part of "good design" so that Tesla can repair and replace faulty battery packs quicker, not necessarily for the expired credits that battery swapping provided.

A battery pack which is designed to be replaced quickly by mechanics at a service center is very different from one which can be swapable by robots or machine at an auto battery swap station.

Reactions: mattmass
A battery pack which is designed to be replaced quickly by mechanics at a service center is very different from one which can be swapable by robots or machine at an auto battery swap station.

That being said. Tesla's procedures for swapping the battery packs were designed for the S and X. After learning for the Roadster. I surmise that the iteration for the Model 3 would be more similar to S and X pack than Roadster.

I think if you can prove that your car design can swap battery then you can earn more California ZEV credits.

You don't have to implement that swapping program to earn extra credits. Your car only needs to have the capability.

Unless ZEV credits are now worthless, battery swapping designs are here to stay.

No, you had to actually do swaps.

You got multiple credits for each actual swap.

That is why Tesla built the Harrison Ranch swap station.

But that is no longer the case. Getting multiple credits for each swap event.

When it was still in use, you had to schedule a swap appointment months in advance lolol. How's that for convenience?
Right, that's why I said I didn't think it was used very much. Also, it had regular business hours and, IIRC, you had specific appointment times. So it would have been super convenient if you could manage to plan your trip down to minute several months in advance. :rolleyes: