Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 be able to tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is only extremely small cars (Fiat 500 and below) or luxury cars (Mercedes S-class or above) that are not allowed to tow.

Oh, and every electric car ever, apart from the X can't tow. :-(

Well, there is ONE other exception I know of, that is both small and electric. Made in Norway so they knows it needs to tow ;)
1603602.jpg

Reactions: Red Sage
Oh, and every electric car ever, apart from the X can't tow. :-(
Actually not true. The Renault Kangoo and the Buddy can tow, and I think there are a few others. ;)

1603602.jpg

Seriously, I'll have to buy a Golf GTE if Tesla can't make this possible.
I very much doubt the Model 3 will tow. But if we're lucky, there might be some word on the status of the Model Y March 31st. (Suppsedly a crossover Model 3.) If it comes one year later or some such, it might be relevant.

Though I will buy the Model 3 either way. Either I keep the i30 CW for a while and then replace it for a Model X or something, or I can sell it and have one car for a while. We'll see.

Reactions: Model 3
I actually didn't know the Kangoo could tow. It's also available with 5 seats and rear windows, though it's still rather van-like. And with the tiny battery and 7kW max charging speed it really is only a city vehicle, even more than the Zoe.

I guess I could replace the Zoe with a Kangoo if the Model 3 can't tow.

We were building a new custom house and I decided to do all the low voltage wiring (network, cable ,fiber, telephone cabling ) myself along with the central vac I didn't want to have to carry my tools and supplies back forth to my old house which was a 100 miles away. Therefore I was going to purchase a utility trailer. The traitor was only going to be driven about 10 miles round trip as I had arranged to store it at a friends house on the island. The speed limit between houses never exceeded 35 mph. We had two cars at the time a new Jaguar XJ8L and a Prius. I decided to use the Jaguar because of the power and weight of the car. I quickly learned they didn't make a hitch kit for the Jaguar but they did make one for the Prius. The cost to have a custom hitch made for the Jaguar was cost prohibitive,because of the transaxle. I got the kit for the Prius and installed it in less than 20 minutes and another 15 minutes to hook up the wiring. I got a deal on the trailer but it was 50 miles away. As soon as I started to drive I realized the Prius had no trouble pulling the trailer but even the smallest of a breeze caused the tracker to sway. I stayed off the Interstate and never went more than 25 miles per hour. I was glad when the trip was over. I would never have done it if the Prius hadn't been out of warranty. I got a lot of strange looks going down the road. It ended out working great but I would have never taken it anywhere if it was windy or if I had to drive on the freeway.

Where the Tesla Model X is Crossover it makes a lot of since to have towing capability. A combination of the weight of the Tesla (over 6k pounds ) and the electronics makes it a perfect vehicle for toeing a trailer or boat. I agree with others the Model 3 probably won't have towing capability. If it did it would probably we with the dual motor version with a larger batter as towing a trailer really reduces the distance you can go between charges.

Actually not true. The Renault Kangoo and the Buddy can tow, and I think there are a few others. ;)

1603602.jpg

I very much doubt the Model 3 will tow. But if we're lucky, there might be some word on the status of the Model Y March 31st. (Suppsedly a crossover Model 3.) If it comes one year later or some such, it might be relevant.

Though I will buy the Model 3 either way. Either I keep the i30 CW for a while and then replace it for a Model X or something, or I can sell it and have one car for a while. We'll see.
At one of the press conferences about a year ago he said the next vehicle after the Model 3 would probably me a smaller crossover but no work would start on it until after the Model 3 release. He said like the S and X which share the same chassis so would the Model 3 and the Model ?. During the press conference he was asked if Tesla would every make a pickup truck. His comment was he wouldn't rule it out. So the smaller crossover would be probably a couple years after the Model 3 is released. By using the same chassis really simplifies things including the ability to use the same production line.

Most of the disagreement here on towing is a US vs Europe thing. In Europe people tow with small cars, in the US people tow with trucks. It's a cultural thing driven by smaller roads, smaller or no garages, and more expensive fuel in Europe, as well as the much more common ownership in the US of large boats, large trailers, and large toys in general.

I wonder how huge this trailer was. At 2921lb, the Prius is easily heavy enough to tow a small trailer without problems.

But in Europe you would not have been legally allowed to tow anything because a Prius is also on the hitch black-list. :-(

Most of the disagreement here on towing is a US vs Europe thing. In Europe people tow with small cars, in the US people tow with trucks. It's a cultural thing driven by smaller roads, smaller or no garages, and more expensive fuel in Europe, as well as the much more common ownership in the US of large boats, large trailers, and large toys in general.

Even in Canada things are different, we love our hatch backs and 5 doors. We have had models not sold in the US. And people tow with anything including BMW 3 series and smart cars. There is a huge difference between legally not allowed to tow, and warranty voided by towing. My Subaru cross trek tows like an absolute dream, and you can get an OEM tow package for it. When I get a Tesla it will tow, regardless of a factory tow package being offered.

Where is this petition? I'm interested in signing such a thing for sure!

Here is the petition to offer towing on the Model S:

Elon Musk: Towing hitch for Tesla Model S

I do not understand why some are hostile to the idea of towing with EV, and even gas cars like BMWs. Plenty of EVs can tow, including Tesla's, so it clearly is possible. Why should people be forced to buy a truck or SUV? I much prefer to drive cars.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I think the Model 3 will be able to tow.

And I see a good chance that the Model S will be able to tow in the very near future. And once the Model S can tow, even
eye.surgeon will suddenly think it is awesome, that the option to tow is available for the Model S.

Let´s make a straight message, the Tesla Model 3 must tow at least 1750 kg or just over 3 850 lb, to be competitive. Given that the European and I expect the Norwegian trailer hitch ratio is the same for the vehicles the Model 3 was intended to replace, Tesla should assume a 50% loss of existing reservations and thus sales as compared to a useful trailer capacity. From a safety perspective the Audi A4 AllRoad and sedan can tow 1800 kg, the VW Passat can tow 2000 kg.

Let´s make a straight message, the Tesla Model 3 must tow at least 1750 kg or just over 3 850 lb, to be competitive. Given that the European and I expect the Norwegian trailer hitch ratio is the same for the vehicles the Model 3 was intended to replace, Tesla should assume a 50% loss of existing reservations and thus sales as compared to a useful trailer capacity. From a safety perspective the Audi A4 AllRoad and sedan can tow 1800 kg, the VW Passat can tow 2000 kg.
Considering the Model X can tow 5000lbs (2268kg), I think your desire isn't out of the realm of possibility for the Model 3. The important thing to note is the tremendous loss of range one will expect while towing something of that weight with the Model 3. The Model X90D has range cut effectively in half in ideal conditions. A Model 3 would be subject to a greater hit on range (as detailed earlier). I would suspect something along the lines of 40% of EPA range in ideal conditions down to 25% in mountains/cold/rain.

I mention this because my impression is that the European style of towing with most vehicles is reliant upon quick and easy refueling. I could be wrong about that, but the range situation is definitely something potential buyers in Europe should remember.

American car will be built to American standards. If it can tow anything at all, non-Americans should be ok with that, or buy cars catered to European market...that can tow.

I will be putting a hitch on my Model 3. I use a 4X8 trailer. Locomotives are electric. A 6,000lb truck can tow 10,000 lb. I don't see why a 3,500 lb car can't tow 1,500 lb. very rarely do I tow over 1,000lb with my MX-5.
I was just moving a boat around for this photo.
John

P.s. I have been towing for 30 years with RX-7s 8s and MX-5s. I have never had engine or transmission issues. The only clutch I replaced was at 173,000 miles

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    535 KB · Views: 70
I will be putting a hitch on my Model 3. I use a 4X8 trailer. Locomotives are electric. A 6,000lb truck can tow 10,000 lb. I don't see why a 3,500 lb car can't tow 1,500 l
I am pretty confident that the 3 will be able to tow at least half of what the X is rated to tow, meaning around 2,500 lbs. To me the question of towing range is just as important, if not more so, given that when towing the X range is reduced by at least 50%. This is largely due to increased aerodynamic drag. The weight of what is being towed has relatively little impact on towing range.

If what you want to tow with your 3 is less than 2,500 lbs, my guess is that won't be a problem. But if you want to be able to tow more than 100 miles without charging, the 3 may not be suitable even with the largest battery size option, whatever that will be.

Towing with the Model 3 has been discussed in the past. See Towing and Lightweight trailers a Model 3 might be able to tow and Towing option for Model 3 and Towing Confirmed! and...

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865