Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 be your first American car?

Will Model 3 be your first American car?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only other american car I have had in the past was a 1984 buick skylark that was such a lemon.
The entire exhaust system fell off the car somewhere along the road behind me only 1 week after I bought the POS.
Then, about 2 weeks later the engine threw a rod-3 weeks later got the car back and then the radiator failed along with alternator.
Drove the car straight into a lake after that. I wonder if it is still there?! Never bought another American car until now.

I'm in a similar boat but on the other side of the fence. I perceive euro cars as poorly designed, too thirsty, unreliable, and more expensive to maintain.

If a Tesla had a BMW/Audi/MB badge on the grill, I'd never consider it for a second.

I don't agree 100% here but i've always wondered why the so called luxury brands (f.e BMW, Audi MB) have such lousy warranties. And i do agree on the expensive maintenance, i used to own an Audi A4 and i won't repeat that mistake.

That's why i currently own a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. 8 year warranty.

Tesla Model 3 won't be my first American electric car. Might not be my first Tesla, I don't know yet.

I'm in a similar boat but on the other side of the fence. I perceive euro cars as poorly designed, too thirsty, unreliable, and more expensive to maintain.

If a Tesla had a BMW/Audi/MB badge on the grill, I'd never consider it for a second.

Sidebar - Many Daewoos are Chevrolets, many have American drivelines, many have high US content. Daewoo and Chevrolet have always been related AFAIK. Did your Daewoos have American drivelines?

I don't think most countries in the world other than Canada get many real American cars, and if they do, they don't get them at fair market price. Have you even driven late model Corvette? (about 48.500 euros converted, 343kW, 8.11 L/100km, and a solid competitor to a 911 base model around a race course.)

Here's what we see in the way of American built cars in the US:

Full sized pickup trucks.
SUVs in all sizes, shapes, and prices.
Sedans as large or larger than BMW 3xx.
Cheap and powerful performance cars.

Small cars are actually poor sellers in the US, and always have been.

I actually agree that european (in effect german) cars are pretty expensive to maintain in the US. Prices for parts are way different on both sides of the atlantic pond.

Daewoo was actually not asscociated with Chevrolet when I had my cars. They were essentially re-branded Opel cars built in Korea with korean parts. I believe that Daewoo bought all the tooling for the Opel Kadett from Opel in Germany and used that to built the Lanos. Old tech, but very reliable.

Later on GM bought Daewoo and used the cars to reintroduce Chevrolet to the EU market.

I have driven a late model (think 2014) Mustang convertible and it was horrible. The engine was fine but the gearbox was just a slushbox that changed gears slowly and poorly compared to a newish BMW gearbox.

I don't get why small cars never sold well in the US but they do sell well over here.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Based on the poll and comments, it looks like two things are happening:

1. Many people who have avoided US-based automakers for their entire life are willing to break that trend to own Model 3. This may apply to nearly half of Model 3 buyers (though generalizability from the poll is clearly questionable).

2. Many people who long ago abandoned US-based automakers are willing to break that trend to own Model 3.

I fell into category one, and it's pretty clear I am not alone.

I have a thing for Mustangs. The first one was american made completely...
OldMustang_zpsdh1h7agj.jpg

The second one probably not so much.
IMG_5090.jpg

I also had a Ford Ranger that was handed down to me

Plus this was my only German car :)
Bug_zpsk7omfsci.jpg

Reactions: Mad Hungarian
I actually agree that european (in effect german) cars are pretty expensive to maintain in the US. Prices for parts are way different on both sides of the atlantic pond.

Daewoo was actually not asscociated with Chevrolet when I had my cars. They were essentially re-branded Opel cars built in Korea with korean parts. I believe that Daewoo bought all the tooling for the Opel Kadett from Opel in Germany and used that to built the Lanos. Old tech, but very reliable.

Later on GM bought Daewoo and used the cars to reintroduce Chevrolet to the EU market.

I have driven a late model (think 2014) Mustang convertible and it was horrible. The engine was fine but the gearbox was just a slushbox that changed gears slowly and poorly compared to a newish BMW gearbox.

I don't get why small cars never sold well in the US but they do sell well over here.
Two reasons:
1) Gas has been relatively cheap here so better gas mileage hasn't been a big priority
2) Have you seen the size of the average American? :D

I said no in the poll even though I owned two 70's era Mercury Capris (sold as Fords in their native European market), but they were really German designed-and-built with nearly zero U.S. content. Except for a 626 and a Miata the other 9 cars have all been VW or Audi. There have been lots of American cars I've liked over the years, just none that floated my boat as much as the Germans.
It'll be nice to finally support my friends to the south!

Yes, first car was a Ford Mustang. I have owned, please don't laugh a Neon (desperate for money at time, should have bought a used Civic), Toyota Sienna and now a standard Civic. The Mustang was fun in my youth, the Civic has been by far the most reliable and cheapest to own. My Model 3 purchase will be by far the most money I have ever spent on a car and I expect the most fun I have ever had on 4 wheels.

As a Canadian, I prefer not to think about it that way (it feels kind of alienating when people say "Oh, Tesla, American!"). I prefer to think of the Model 3 as my first electric vehicle instead, and how Tesla is accelerating the adoption of EVs. And how much good that will do for everyone on this planet, with the possible exception of oil companies. (We all know they won't last forever so that's okay with me.) :cool:

Actually - serious question. Will the Model 3 be an american car? It will be assembled in America, but if the Model S is 55% made with parts in America (see the monroney sticker), given the battery cost will be a larger percentage of the total cost of the Model 3, the Model 3 would likely be more than 50% foreign content if the battery cells arent made in the Gigafactory! Will be interesting to see what happens.

Actually - serious question. Will the Model 3 be an american car? It will be assembled in America, but if the Model S is 55% made with parts in America (see the monroney sticker), given the battery cost will be a larger percentage of the total cost of the Model 3, the Model 3 would likely be more than 50% foreign content if the battery cells aren't made in the Gigafactory! Will be interesting to see what happens.
The 20070 cells for the Model 3 will be made in the Gigafactory by the Panasonic equipment. If you saw the shareholders meeting you'd know that over the years Tesla has consolidated to move much of the production and manufacturing to the US to both reduce costs and complexity with regards to shipping and making sure things are done correctly.

The chassis is made here, the motor, battery pack, final assembly, painted here... etc.

Do you really care if trunk carpet were to come from Mexico? I don't really think that makes it any less of an American car. I don't think that since Elon Musk wasn't born in the United States that he's any less American. He's the real life Iron Man achieving his dreams!

Actually - serious question. Will the Model 3 be an american car? It will be assembled in America, but if the Model S is 55% made with parts in America (see the monroney sticker), given the battery cost will be a larger percentage of the total cost of the Model 3, the Model 3 would likely be more than 50% foreign content if the battery cells arent made in the Gigafactory! Will be interesting to see what happens.

When I started this thread, I had in mind cars from US automakers. I realize that the global market and actual manufacturing of vehicles complicates the meaning of "American cars." Anyhow, given that Tesla is a US automaker, then yes the Model 3 will be an American car in the mind of many. But your point is well taken.

As a Canadian, I prefer not to think about it that way (it feels kind of alienating when people say "Oh, Tesla, American!"). I prefer to think of the Model 3 as my first electric vehicle instead, and how Tesla is accelerating the adoption of EVs. And how much good that will do for everyone on this planet, with the possible exception of oil companies. (We all know they won't last forever so that's okay with me.) :cool:

Totally agree. First and foremost, I think of owning Model 3 in the very same way that you do. My interest in the post topic takes a distant back seat to the greater meaning of owning a Tesla.

Reactions: int32_t