TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will Model 3 drivers be the most annoying drivers on the road?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ZeApelido, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM.

Tags:
  1. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

I am thinking it might be possible (I hope not). Why are some annoying driver habits to you?

1. Blocking left lanes / carpool lanes going at slow speed (i.e. prius or other BEVs)
    2. Super aggressive driving / cutting off people (some BMW, Fiat in my experience).
    3. Inattentive driving (phone use)

For #1, Model 3 drivers can use carpool lane, EAP for cruise control and not paying attention, so they may more easily block faster traffic than other cars. Also concern over range might keep them at slower speeds. On the other hand, larger battery ranges should in theory reduce this effect.

For #2, unlike the generally older demographic of Model S/X owners, Model 3 owners might skew more younger and might be more aggressive on the road. The performance of the Model 3 vs other cars like BMW's could allow them to be even more aggressive.

For #3, I'm not sure. If using EAP that is not polished, this could be a concern. They will be more likely to be looking down at phones more often. As more FSD comes into use, cars may act more like Waymo cars (which are very slow reacting) and are annoying.

Thoughts?

• Disagree x 12
    • Like x 1
  2. electracity

electracity Active Member

My thought is that you over classify behavior by vehicle type.

• Like x 16
  3. hckyplyr

hckyplyr Member

I doubt they will overtake Prius drivers as the most annoying...

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 3
  4. kbM3

kbM3 Member

You realize 1& 2 contradict each other?

• Like x 2
  5. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Thread for everything

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Not necessarily. The Model 3 will have broad appeal, so it will attract various types of annoying drivers... unlike with other cars... oh, wait, never mind. :D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Dynastar

Dynastar Member

I've thought about what it will be like when everyone has an electric car. Even my wimpy little Leaf lets me drive aggressively in urban traffic when I feel like it. When everyone, including the young and stupid, has access to instant torque I think it will negatively impact the driving experience, at least when you're not just letting your car drive for you. (Not that all young drivers are terrible. I did plenty of dumb things in an old gutless Toyota, I can't imagine what I would have tried in a Model 3.)

8. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Nope.
    /end thread

9. Lovesword

Lovesword Member

There must be an over/under in Las Vegas for this, but I haven't checked what the odds are.

10. PJFW8

PJFW8 waiting impatiently for Model 3

I will drive my model 3 like the model citizen I am. Yes I will!

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. McRat

McRat Active Member

Dunno, those BMW 3 series folk have been in training for decades. They will be tough to beat.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  12. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

They've gotten a bit old and stale....those of us who also have a 2 Series are picking up the torch!:D;)

OK, now given a current other thread on LR, let me explain clearly....that is a joke, not serious, not meanly sarcastic, just lighthearted humor!:) And, I added a "funny" to McRat's post above!

13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Probably fairly unannoying actually.

In fact I'm hoping a half million Model 3's will help retrain people on how to accelerate from a stop light.

I don't know if it's just me, but I swear people now days take FOREVER to get up to speed.

• Like x 3
  14. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

I blame hybrids... The Camry hybrid I had as a rental a while back could be kept in EV only mode, but only up to 50kph (30mph) and only if you crawled off the line at a speed that would have 70yo grandmothers waving their fists at you.

15. 206er

206er Member

In Seattle, Prius (mostly Uber/Lyft drivers) and Subaru (no clue what the deal is here) cars are the most annoying/dangerous vehicles I encounter on a daily basis as an urban cyclist. They are both consistently super aggressive, seemingly aloof, and I've been lightly "hit" and knocked off my bike by a Subaru driver who proceeded to slow down and then drive off as I started to get up (he definitely knew he hit me).

It's possible that some of these drivers will transition to Model 3s I guess.

16. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

"most annoying drivers" ???

Maybe if we take classes and study hard.

17. codex57

codex57 Member

I saw the shift (in California anyways) of jerk drivers from SUV drivers to Prius drivers. I can see the threat, but honestly, it will be quite a while before that happens simply because Tesla can't build enough. By the time Tesla builds enough M3s for you to notice the jerk drivers in them, the other manufacturers will have their own EV cars so the jerk drivers will be spread about evenly.

18. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

You're right, I forgot the Taxi potential. Lots of Model 3's could go to taxi drivers. Add that as #4 issue.

And yes one Model 3 driver will not have all the traits, but they could occur across the distribution of drivers. Might be a lot of Tesla on Tesla hate!

19. DR61

DR61 Member

In my part of California, ‘State of Jefferson’, big pickups are the most dangerous, especially to us road bike riders.

• Like x 2
  20. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I think I am very democratic in that I find all other drivers on the road, apart from myself of course, immensely annoying, no matter what kind of car they drive. ;)

• Like x 4