Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 drivers be the most annoying drivers on the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Blocking left lanes / carpool lanes going at slow speed (i.e. prius or other BEVs

I guess I am part of the problem then, because I don’t consider the HOV lane to be a “fast” lane even if it is on the left. It’s access is only at controlled locations, so it can’t be used as a passing lane like the actual fast lane. I think anyone who drives in the actual fast lane who is not actively passing someone else is an annoying driver no matter their speed of travel.

I guess I am part of the problem then, because I don’t consider the HOV lane to be a “fast” lane even if it is on the left. It’s access is only at controlled locations, so it can’t be used as a passing lane like the actual fast lane. I think anyone who drives in the actual fast lane who is not actively passing someone else is an annoying driver no matter their speed of travel.

The HOV is not the Fast Lane. There is no reasonable expectation of somebody with 15 people in a vanpool should be going 85mph when traffic 6 feet away is stopped. That is a form of demolition derby, not commuting.

This is one of the reasons ZEV should not have been allowed access to the HOV, or the HOV lanes should be removed. People should not tailgate in the HOV when there is a high speed delta with the other traffic unless there is k-rail separation. It's a recipe for a mass murder. Note, I did not use the word accident, since it's a predictable outcome. Somebody will get frustrated in the stopped 'fast lane' and pull into the HOV. Happens all the time. A true vanpool carrier can weigh close to 10,000lb. The driver and front seat passenger of the van will most likely die, as will all the occupants of the lane jumper.

It is not usual around here to see people getting speeding tickets in the HOV or Fastrak lanes. The CHP is trying to stop the crazies from killing each other.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread: :D
5283278_orig.jpg

I am thinking it might be possible (I hope not). Why are some annoying driver habits to you?

1. Blocking left lanes / carpool lanes going at slow speed (i.e. prius or other BEVs)
2. Super aggressive driving / cutting off people (some BMW, Fiat in my experience).
3. Inattentive driving (phone use)

For #1, Model 3 drivers can use carpool lane, EAP for cruise control and not paying attention, so they may more easily block faster traffic than other cars. Also concern over range might keep them at slower speeds. On the other hand, larger battery ranges should in theory reduce this effect.

For #2, unlike the generally older demographic of Model S/X owners, Model 3 owners might skew more younger and might be more aggressive on the road. The performance of the Model 3 vs other cars like BMW's could allow them to be even more aggressive.

For #3, I'm not sure. If using EAP that is not polished, this could be a concern. They will be more likely to be looking down at phones more often. As more FSD comes into use, cars may act more like Waymo cars (which are very slow reacting) and are annoying.

Thoughts?

No, they won't... but this will be one of the most annoying threads for the next couple of days.

True, I'm speaking more of the case where a car in the HOV lane is moving at the same speed as the adjacent lane (slower due to traffic) thus killing the benefit of the HOV lane to begin with. Not implying they should drive at a high delta from the adjacent lane, that is dangerous.

I am thinking it might be possible (I hope not). Why are some annoying driver habits to you?

1. Blocking left lanes / carpool lanes going at slow speed (i.e. prius or other BEVs)
2. Super aggressive driving / cutting off people (some BMW, Fiat in my experience).
3. Inattentive driving (phone use)

For #1, Model 3 drivers can use carpool lane, EAP for cruise control and not paying attention, so they may more easily block faster traffic than other cars. Also concern over range might keep them at slower speeds. On the other hand, larger battery ranges should in theory reduce this effect.

For #2, unlike the generally older demographic of Model S/X owners, Model 3 owners might skew more younger and might be more aggressive on the road. The performance of the Model 3 vs other cars like BMW's could allow them to be even more aggressive.

For #3, I'm not sure. If using EAP that is not polished, this could be a concern. They will be more likely to be looking down at phones more often. As more FSD comes into use, cars may act more like Waymo cars (which are very slow reacting) and are annoying.

Thoughts?
I highly doubt there is any correlation between make and model of car and how said person drives.

True, I'm speaking more of the case where a car in the HOV lane is moving at the same speed as the adjacent lane (slower due to traffic) thus killing the benefit of the HOV lane to begin with. Not implying they should drive at a high delta from the adjacent lane, that is dangerous.

The HOV lane concept was to alleviate freeway congestion by encouraging carpooling for commuters. When it first started here in 1980's, I was both a VanPool and 4 person CarPool participant.

It's a common problem with bureaucracies. They do not understand human nature. At first, you saw a good number of Vanpools and cars with 3 or more adults in them. These could have had an effect on congestion if they would have thrived. But they are now only a small portion of the HOV lane users.

The problem was that in the long run, a VanPool/CarPool was a PITA and saved little time door-to-door in the grand scheme of things.

While I think it's cool to use the HOV lanes, I can't help but think that I'm not doing anything to reduce congestion when I'm driving ZEV solo. In fact, my ZEV is probably increasing air pollution because more congested the freeway gets with stop and go traffic, the more fuel they burn per mile involving thousands of cars and heavy trucks.

Now in some areas, they are switching the HOVs to Toll Roads, which now makes air pollution even higher. 80mph drivers and stop and go both waste fuel and they underutilize 2-3 lanes now instead of 1 HOV lane.

Open up all the lanes. Forcing people to Vanpool or buy EVs isn't really doing much for congestion or urban pollution when you actually increase congestion and pollution by creating special lanes.

Law of unintended consequences. They try to incentivize EV sales with all these special perks. People take advantage of them. Then guess what? It creates new problems! HOV lane congestion, and reduced gas tax revenue. My Model 3 reservation is not contingent on the carpool lane perk, but am I going to take advantage of it? You bet. Although as noted, it's not as much of an "advantage" anymore since it's clogged with Model S', Volts, Bolts, Leafs and Fusion Energis with white and green stickers.

Law of unintended consequences. They try to incentivize EV sales with all these special perks. People take advantage of them. Then guess what? It creates new problems! HOV lane congestion, and reduced gas tax revenue. My Model 3 reservation is not contingent on the carpool lane perk, but am I going to take advantage of it? You bet. Although as noted, it's not as much of an "advantage" anymore since it's clogged with Model S', Volts, Bolts, Leafs and Fusion Energis with white and green stickers.

Yes, I too will use the HOV lanes lawfully. Personally, I get a great advantage out of them where they exist. I just don't believe in them.

Just like 30+ years ago, I still don't believe HOV or Toll Roads improve air quality or alleviate congestion. So why did we spend literally billions on them over the decades, even after we realized they were not increasing CarPooling?

Sidebar: The Toll Roads really aggravate me. At a buck a mile, it's a nuisance fee for me, I don't care. But there are folk who can't spend $200-500 a month on tolls and still feed their families. The King's Highway concept is crap in my opinion. But sure, I use those too.

Observation: Tesla drivers are just like any luxury car driver. Which means in my area, absolute douchebags. California stops, blasting through yellow lights, middle fingers, and looking down upon "lesser" drivers. Give berth to any driver behind the wheel of an expensive looking car. Only exceptions are Rolls Royce's - their drivers act like they got all day (they probably do since they're effing rich).

Biggest annoying drivers are those who insist on driving in the left lane. Here’s a tip, if you’re not driving at ungodly speeds don’t camp out in the left lane. Use the left lane for passing only, and don’t attempt to pass if another car is already closing in the left lane - wait till they get past you first.