Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 drivers be the most annoying drivers on the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The HOV is not the Fast Lane. There is no reasonable expectation of somebody with 15 people in a vanpool should be going 85mph when traffic 6 feet away is stopped. That is a form of demolition derby, not commuting.

This is one of the reasons ZEV should not have been allowed access to the HOV, or the HOV lanes should be removed. People should not tailgate in the HOV when there is a high speed delta with the other traffic unless there is k-rail separation. It's a recipe for a mass murder. Note, I did not use the word accident, since it's a predictable outcome. Somebody will get frustrated in the stopped 'fast lane' and pull into the HOV. Happens all the time. A true vanpool carrier can weigh close to 10,000lb. The driver and front seat passenger of the van will most likely die, as will all the occupants of the lane jumper.

It is not usual around here to see people getting speeding tickets in the HOV or Fastrak lanes. The CHP is trying to stop the crazies from killing each other.

Couple years ago when I decided to try using my motorcycle for commuting so I can use the HOV lane, after 2 days I resorted back to using car and sitting on the slow lanes. On second day doing the ~65 on the HOV on motorcycle, some a-hole decided to switch from the ~non-moving normal lane to HOV without checking mirrors. It was pretty much brakeohshitfuckbrakefuckcan'tmakeitswerve! Luckily enough room between the car and the middle divider, so I was able to pass the car there.

So yea, too many blind idiots on the road. That's the main problem. Not the brand of their car or the lane classifications.

I-405 in WA is BS anyway. They build extra toll lanes on the super congested freeway towards Redmond (replaced the HOV lanes). The problem is that the price depends on traffic. The more traffic, the higher the price. What then happens is, when there's too much traffic the price is $10 and everybody stays on the free lanes, making the traffic even worse. DOT claims they made the toll lanes to improve traffic flow, but even the blind can see they are just maximizing revenue and don't give rat's ass about the traffic flow.

Couple weeks ago there was truck stalled on one of the free lanes. At that spot, there's 3 free lanes and 2 toll lanes. Traffic was just crazy horrible as now there were only 2 lanes available, and the 2 toll lanes were too expensive. Smart move from DOT would be to open the toll lanes for free if there's accident, if they cared about the traffic flow like the claim. But instead they hike up the price...

Some are pretty annoying like they want to race me even though we have the same car. Also, some Model 3s are parking in 20min spots at Ding Tai Fung Costa Mesa Mall that has 2+ hours wait. Many always want to show me how fast they can go when I'm in my Prius. Not sure why they have an ego problem but it's probably just LA. So far Model 3 drivers are pretty annoying.

Have to admit the acceleration is addicting or is it "A D**k Thing"?
Having come from a 2013 Passat TDI and when merging on frwys. here in my crowded socal local, I was always at the mercy of drivers not wanting to let me merge "unfortunately it seems they are the majority" it is a good feeling knowing that any time I want I can feather the accelerator slightly and merge before they even know they want to cut me off, I do not feel I abuse this option often.

I think people aren't taking into consideration how TACC/AP changes a persons driving behavior.

With TACC/AP you're not really concerned so much about trying to get ahead of other cars, or even anger at people cutting in front of you. For the most part the car handles it, and you're just sitting back.

So overall I expect the majority of Tesla drivers to be pretty chill. That's mostly been the case in my own observations, and my own behaviors.

There isn't anything really about a Model 3 that promotes annoying driving. The Prius is legendary as being a really annoying car because it made a game out of driving it efficiently where people kept trying to maximize it. This is partly why so many of them are unbearably slow when you're behind them.

For the most part Tesla drivers aren't too concerned about efficiency except in fairly rare situations. It's definitely annoying to other drivers when a Tesla is driving 50mph in a 60mph zone trying to make it to a supercharger.

Couple years ago when I decided to try using my motorcycle for commuting so I can use the HOV lane, after 2 days I resorted back to using car and sitting on the slow lanes. On second day doing the ~65 on the HOV on motorcycle, some a-hole decided to switch from the ~non-moving normal lane to HOV without checking mirrors. It was pretty much brakeohshitfuckbrakefuckcan'tmakeitswerve! Luckily enough room between the car and the middle divider, so I was able to pass the car there.

So yea, too many blind idiots on the road. That's the main problem. Not the brand of their car or the lane classifications.

I-405 in WA is BS anyway. They build extra toll lanes on the super congested freeway towards Redmond (replaced the HOV lanes). The problem is that the price depends on traffic. The more traffic, the higher the price. What then happens is, when there's too much traffic the price is $10 and everybody stays on the free lanes, making the traffic even worse. DOT claims they made the toll lanes to improve traffic flow, but even the blind can see they are just maximizing revenue and don't give rat's ass about the traffic flow.

Couple weeks ago there was truck stalled on one of the free lanes. At that spot, there's 3 free lanes and 2 toll lanes. Traffic was just crazy horrible as now there were only 2 lanes available, and the 2 toll lanes were too expensive. Smart move from DOT would be to open the toll lanes for free if there's accident, if they cared about the traffic flow like the claim. But instead they hike up the price...

What the HOV lane is designed to do is to maintain a speed of 45mph or greater.

So it goes up to $10 only if the HOV lane is going under the 45mph average speed. Last I heard it actually failed this goal because $10 wasn't high enough.

I absolutely hate it because it's effectively a class system, and I don't believe class systems should exist on something that should be government funded from tax money.

It also relies on people following the rules, and I constantly see people merging over the double lines in violation of the rules. I hardly ever see any cops patrolling on 405 anymore. I routinely drive in the right most HOV lane at 70mph, and I get passed fairly often by people doing 80-90. Heck yesterday I was the single lane HOV (before the two lane part) doing 70mph, and two vehicles crossed the double lines to pass me before getting back in the HOV doing around 90. It was kinda hilarious because one of them was a smart car, and I didn't realize they could do 90. That guy almost hit the barrier wall changing back into that lane.