TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will model 3 have to learn AP? Or just take data from S/X?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by hingisfan, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Just wondering if early release 3s will have functional AP? Or will they go through a 6 to 12 learning process, like S and X are doing now with AP2?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

6 to 12 what? Months? Miles? Do you mean 'calibrating' or do you mean 'getting the firmware to the point where it matches AP1.0'?

Calibrating: Each car seems to be a little different. The overnight loaner/demo we had with 12 miles on it worked in a few more (total about 20).

As for 'level of capability', I would assume it's like an iPhone, they would ship with the current version, matching all the other cars, and if a new one comes out, they get that too. Elon just said that all the cars (S/X/3) would have the same level of Autopilot, so whatever the S and X have later in the year is what the first 3's will have.

• Like x 1
  3. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I don't see why the software would have to be any different than the S and the X. The AP hardware is the same.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It should be able to directly use the data, the dimensions of the car are not really going to affect it.

5. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I would think it would be as capable as the S/X with the same AP2 hardware, I don't think there will be a programming period.

6. Kanting

Kanting Member

#6 Kanting, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    It definitely will learn and inherit everything (good and bad) from existing AP2 cars. But depends on how AP2 and its active safety features will mature, I will decide to cancel my order or not.

7. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Yes, 6 to 12 months, sorry. I wasn't sure if it would have to compile all new data or not. I guess the consensus is it will be able to use current AP2 data, and initial functionality will be equal to current (at that time) AP2 cars.

• Like x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Supposedly next month it'll be "smooth as silk" by the Model 3 release, it may be even better.