Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 will self-deliver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...because it would mean you can schedule delivery for absolutely any time you choose. One can also foresee a new button on the order page "Deliver Now"; one could conceivably have a new car within 5 min. of ordering it online - traffic conditions allowing. (Of course all that is about to become the norm anyway with autonomous ride-sharing, other delivery etc.)

...One can also foresee a new button on the order page "Deliver Now"; one could conceivably have a new car within 5 min. of ordering it online - traffic conditions allowing.
The only way this would work is if you order a stock car (not one that you have customized) and you live within 5 minutes of wherever the car happens to be. Self delivery is at least as far away as full self drive being legal. At best, that is probably several years.

Well yes, I def. mean best case would be 5 min. I haven't read enough about it, but I really don't see full self-driving being 'several years' away. More like 1-2, and yes will vary according to local laws but I do think those hurdles will go away v. quickly when people see even 1st gen. is at least 2-3x more safe. No one will then be able to afford not to act quickly.

Even if Trump & Musk were the best of friends, the government doesn't move that fast for anyone! I can't imagine that AP2 will actually be capable of driving the car unsupervised. I'm sure it will be amazing. I'm very impressed even with AP1 even if it can't make out a huge truck right in front of it. But I wouldn't be making any plans to join the autonomous back seat club any time soon. Then again it would be much cooler dying that way, than watching Harry Potter.

Even if Trump & Musk were the best of friends, the government doesn't move that fast for anyone! I can't imagine that AP2 will actually be capable of driving the car unsupervised. I'm sure it will be amazing. I'm very impressed even with AP1 even if it can't make out a huge truck right in front of it. But I wouldn't be making any plans to join the autonomous back seat club any time soon. Then again it would be much cooler dying that way, than watching Harry Potter.
OUCH! Too soon.

This sounds like a good way to get minor damage en route. Imagine if it hits a pothole or if gravel were to come up and scratch the paint before you take delivery... I don't know if I'd want to risk it for my precious.

:) Well it could have a nice padded cover on it - including over the windshield. Anyway we know this will eventually happen...in 10 years when Tesla's selling 10 million units per year. That's a lot of delivery. By then they may also be selling artificial life forms, in which case those would just walk to your house.

Level 5 Autonomy (meaning no human is required for intervention) is a ways off.

Level 4? where a human is at the wheel and expected to take over? Sure. That's not very far off if Elon has his way. But it's going to take a while to get the various jurisdictions to sign off on the car controlling itself on public ways.

NO-I tweeted Elon and he said there was too much risk of scratching the car and how would it auto charge up on a long trip as snake charging isn't installed yet?
I'd imagine that even it was self delivering it'd probably start out at the closest service center. If it started in CA and I get a "brand new" car with over 1000 miles on it I'd be a little upset.

To keep it simple: no.

Not only has nobody yet achieved Level 4 autonomy, the current hardware doesn't have enough redundancy to be Level 5, which would be needed for self-delivery.

Then for long distance delivery you'd need automated charging systems.
Can you elaborate as to which systems don't have redundant backups?

The cameras have the radar and the radar has the cameras.
The front facing cameras have overlapping coverage to the front and to the side in a forward direction (such as for pulling off the road.)
The ultrasonics can also help for an emergency in pulling over to the side of the road. If the cameras are working but obscured by salt of mud the wipers might be used to clean them.

You'd need multiple failures for the car not to be able to pull over... or were you suggesting the car should keep driving after it detects a failure or obscured camera?