Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model S be the most expensive car you have ever owned?

Will Model S be the most expensive car you have owned?

• Yes

Votes: 198 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 16.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like the Model S perhaps more than any other will have a lot of people "stretching" to get this car, but there are also a lot that are buying this as a replacement for an existing luxury car or other high end vehicle...just curious how the split is! Sorry if this has been previously done...couldn't find it anywhere!

Not surprising.

I think it goes to show that people believe in the concept of electric cars and want to go green (with a lot of style anyway).

Income distributions seem to support that the Model S will be a very expensive purchase for many people (perhaps more than they can afford), but that the high price of the Model S doesn't necessarily imply that it will be the most expensive.

ChartExport (20).png

The 60 kWh Model S I am planning on buying will be 2.5x more expensive than the most expensive car I have ever purchased. Even if I end up going with the 40 kWh, I will be stretching, but I figure when you are stretching that much, whats another 10k?

Also for those of us with stupid low power rates there is significant savings over a gasoline powered vehicle.
And also factor in that I bet if you ask anyone about to buy a new car "Is this the most expensive you ever have purchased?" you would probably get about 75% yeses.

I know my mom has moved up on just about every car she has bought. My dad not as much but I bet half of his new vehicle purchases he would answer yes to this question.

I have bought two vehicles new and each one was 'the most expensive ever'. My GTI was only about $500 more than my Jetta TDI.

Yes, each car I buy seems to cost more, my current advanced Plug in Prius was $40K (well, not cash as another Prius was traded in)
The 85KW Model S with most of the options (not performance or signature), after delivery and MA sales tax will be about $91K, there will be a $7500 federal tax credit, hopefully... who knows what will happen in 2013 if Romney gets in.

Not surprising.

I think it goes to show that people believe in the concept of electric cars and want to go green (with a lot of style anyway).

Income distributions seem to support that the Model S will be a very expensive purchase for many people (perhaps more than they can afford), but that the high price of the Model S doesn't necessarily imply that it will be the most expensive.

View attachment 7912

Excellent point, I suppose my intent was to determine if it was the most a person had ever paid for a car (purchase price)...not necessarily the "most expensive". That is one of the big perks of going electric is that it will hopefully save a bunch of cash in the long run.

Also some great points about progressively paying more every time you buy a new car over the course of your life...I guess for me personally I wouldn't have otherwise spent over $50,000 for a new ICE car, I'm generally not very indulgent when it comes to vehicles, but due to the high technology, environmental and energy aspects associated with the Model S, I have no problem stepping to a new "level" of car. Perhaps that was my real interest with this poll, to find out who would be going from some sort of a basic automobile to a "luxury" or "premium" vehicle. For me, I'll be going from a 2004 Subaru Forester (which I love by the way) to a 60Kwh Model S....definitely a big step up!

Yes, most likely. It depends on how I option it out and if you count the tax credit or not. But if I go with the 60 kWHr battery, it pretty much would be. I bought a 1 year old 2003 Audi RS6 a while back which cost me 72K. So, it'll be close. That is, up til now, still my favorite car I've ever owned. I'm expecting the S to take that spot on delivery. (FWIW, my 2012 Volt is my 2nd favorite).