TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Model S be the most expensive car you have ever owned?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by youlikeadajuice, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Will Model S be the most expensive car you have owned?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    83.2%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. youlikeadajuice

Seems like the Model S perhaps more than any other will have a lot of people "stretching" to get this car, but there are also a lot that are buying this as a replacement for an existing luxury car or other high end vehicle...just curious how the split is! Sorry if this has been previously done...couldn't find it anywhere!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Purchased my Roadster used so the S is the most I have spent on a car.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Won't beat the Roadster... fortunately.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Not surprising.

I think it goes to show that people believe in the concept of electric cars and want to go green (with a lot of style anyway).

Income distributions seem to support that the Model S will be a very expensive purchase for many people (perhaps more than they can afford), but that the high price of the Model S doesn't necessarily imply that it will be the most expensive.

ChartExport (20).png

5. ERock

ERock 9347

This is my first car out of college. Definitely the most expensive. My first car was a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am for ~ 4,000. Car I have now is a Rav4, which I inherited.

6. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

The 60 kWh Model S I am planning on buying will be 2.5x more expensive than the most expensive car I have ever purchased. Even if I end up going with the 40 kWh, I will be stretching, but I figure when you are stretching that much, whats another 10k?

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

The most I spent on a car before was $42k (for a loaded new '04 Acura TL). The Model S config I'm going for will cost almost $93k on the road (before tax credits)!

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Also for those of us with stupid low power rates there is significant savings over a gasoline powered vehicle.
    And also factor in that I bet if you ask anyone about to buy a new car "Is this the most expensive you ever have purchased?" you would probably get about 75% yeses.

I know my mom has moved up on just about every car she has bought. My dad not as much but I bet half of his new vehicle purchases he would answer yes to this question.

I have bought two vehicles new and each one was 'the most expensive ever'. My GTI was only about $500 more than my Jetta TDI.

9. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

$93k?

Are you estimating $10k for taxes, title, destination?

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Unfortunately, yes :( here in CA:

$75,900 + $7,500 (the fed credit that I should get later) + $1,170 (the Tesla delivery and prep fee together) + $8,039 (the CA DMV delta) = $92,609.

Should get $10k back (the IRS credit and the CA rebate put together).

11. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

my roadster was more expensive.

12. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Yes, each car I buy seems to cost more, my current advanced Plug in Prius was $40K (well, not cash as another Prius was traded in)
    The 85KW Model S with most of the options (not performance or signature), after delivery and MA sales tax will be about $91K, there will be a $7500 federal tax credit, hopefully... who knows what will happen in 2013 if Romney gets in.

13. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Not only YES ... but HELL YES!

14. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Oh and the Model S will be the most expensive car I have ever purchased by a x3 or x4 multiplier.

15. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

By a mile...

I think I've owned 20 cars in 30+ years. The cheapest was $125. (Chevy Vega - High School). I think the most expensive was just over $35K.

16. youlikeadajuice

Excellent point, I suppose my intent was to determine if it was the most a person had ever paid for a car (purchase price)...not necessarily the "most expensive". That is one of the big perks of going electric is that it will hopefully save a bunch of cash in the long run.

Also some great points about progressively paying more every time you buy a new car over the course of your life...I guess for me personally I wouldn't have otherwise spent over $50,000 for a new ICE car, I'm generally not very indulgent when it comes to vehicles, but due to the high technology, environmental and energy aspects associated with the Model S, I have no problem stepping to a new "level" of car. Perhaps that was my real interest with this poll, to find out who would be going from some sort of a basic automobile to a "luxury" or "premium" vehicle. For me, I'll be going from a 2004 Subaru Forester (which I love by the way) to a 60Kwh Model S....definitely a big step up!

17. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

By more than 2X any prior vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

My hunch is people who said "no" are largely Roadster owners.

19. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

In my case, you are correct, but the car before the roadster was even more expensive... I'm buying cheaper cars for about 8 years now.

20. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Yes, most likely. It depends on how I option it out and if you count the tax credit or not. But if I go with the 60 kWHr battery, it pretty much would be. I bought a 1 year old 2003 Audi RS6 a while back which cost me 72K. So, it'll be close. That is, up til now, still my favorite car I've ever owned. I'm expecting the S to take that spot on delivery. (FWIW, my 2012 Volt is my 2nd favorite).