TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

will model S "corded mobile connector" work on P3D?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by davekr, Aug 9, 2018.

1. davekr

davekr Member

this corded mobile connector boasts 50A

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

v

gen 2 mobile connector bundle stating 32A

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

I don't know why tesla stepped down the amps, as the P3D has 48A on board charger if I'm reading correctly?

what would be downfall of having the 50A version used at home, travel with the 32A mobile bundle?

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

It should work and provide charging at up to 40 amps. I happen to have one for sale for $400 if you are interested.

Corded Mobile Connector

We used ours for just that purpose (kept it plugged in all the time at home and kept the UMCs that came with the cars in the cars).

• Like x 1
  3. davekr

davekr Member

morrison,

give me a minute, I've got some fires to put out today...
    definitely let you know by tomorrow!
    I want to assure I'm not exceeding the guidance for P3D!
    from pics looks like condition is close to new?
    how are you able to receive $$$?

dave

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Yes. You can easily charge the Model 3 at 40 amps with this connector. You are correct that the 3 can be charged at up to 48 amps. We've charged a Performance Model 3 at 48 amps with our new wall connectors.

Originally all Teslas came with a mobile connector that could charge at up to 40 amps but they changed it so the generation 2 MC (which they started using for all cars in late December 2017 and with the 3 since it was released) only charges at 32 amps.

Yes, the corded wall connector is as good as new and includes the carry case. I can send a video showing how it was installed, if you'd like. Payment is usually via no-fee Zelle or Paypal but can be discussed. You might want to move the discussion to my "for sale" thread or PM me. Thanks!