TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Model X be considered a "girl car?"

Discussion in 'Model X' started by LSULSU, Sep 28, 2015.

1. LSULSU

LSULSU Member

I'm just wondering what the ultimate demographic will be. A lot of the press seems to focus on the advantage of getting the kids in the back seat like a minivan.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I dunno what a 'girl car' is. I don't have young kids anymore. Am I not supposed to buy it? Sig 1 has scuba tanks and whatnot to fit in, no small kids. And and and.

Meaning, I wouldn't put a whole bunch of stock in some articles. If it works for you, buy it. If not, it's not the car for you.

3. Petra

Petra Member

The Mazda Miata is not a "girl car"... it's a sports car to be enjoyed by all! Err, wait, what are we talking about? :wink:

Buy what you like--what everyone else thinks doesn't matter.

4. CarlK

CarlK Member

Just like most SUV's it will be very popular among more sophisticated women, and I believe among more sophisticated men too.

Sorry about the stereotyping but I can't answer the question any other way.

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

We have no kids and will use it to go to the snow and load stuff, carry wood, bikes, groceries, dogs, tow a trailer to the dumps, etc.

6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

The concept of a "girls car" is lost on me.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The X is able to serve a LOT of markets, they just made sure it would also work for a market somewhat ignored. That doesn't make it a 'girl car', it makes it a flexible use vehicle.

8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Let's not be disingenuous. The marketing department at major automakers have primary markets for their products and create personas to test the product features and marketing messages against. This influences the design of the product. Whether or not the X is targeted toward women is a valid question to ask though perhaps the OP phrased it indelicately.

EDIT------Aye, what Bonnie just said while writing this post.

9. DougH

DougH Active Member

It's darn sexy that's for sure. I doubt people will think of it as a girls car...unlike the Miata and Jetta.

10. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Well, I would have said THIS was a girls car, but there was a dude driving it, so go figure:
    hk.JPG

11. perkiset

perkiset ... this one goes to 11

The majority listening demographic of country music is women. Does that make it girlie music? It is fair to assess a target market, but I don't see how that extends to tarring a vehicle with a generalized badge like that.

The truth, for me, is that *all* cars are girl cars when my beautiful wife is sitting in the left seat ;)

12. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

There's very few cars I would ever look at and think "that's a girl car". Here is one of them:

burago-5595.jpg

But only with a paint job like that.

Edit:

Additionally, why do only girls need to get their kids in the back seat? I take my 7 month old son to daycare every day in the LEAF, and loading / unloading will be much much easier with Falcon doors. I'm very much looking forward to that. Does that make me a girl somehow?

13. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

For those that are hooked on Orphan Black I wonder which girl clone this statement is focused on? I suspect it's Allison, the soccer mom. But that leaves all the other 11 clones we have seen to date out? Like the hipster, scientist, police detective, executive ...

14. de704

de704 XP268

Not if you baller rims on it :cool:

SUVs are for soccer moms and ballers.

dubescalade.jpg

15. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

It might be but I couldn't possibly care less. Then again, I've always found such notions to be silly.

My understanding is that Tesla did a lot of research to make Model X more appealing to women. It seems like the result is an attractive, practical vehicle. Maybe that's the definition of a "girl car?"

16. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Only "real" men drive "girl" cars... Really, a girl car???

17. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Toyota Celica.

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Years ago, I really wanted a mini-van when we had kids. My wife balked saying she'd look like "a middle-aged woman with kids" driving around in one of those. Wisely, I kept my mouth shut. We ended up leasing one, then a second, and to this day, my wife still "misses" her Dodge Caravans. Are mini-vans "Girl Cars"? I dunno. I think you buy whatever you like and don't worry about what others think. The car is supposed to make you happy, after all.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member