Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X be considered a "girl car?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if the title doesn't sound proper- that's why I put "girl car" in quotes. I know that vehicles are not gender specific. Seeing a lady driving a F350 is not common, and seeing the NHL player driving the Tiguan is not common. There is nothing "wrong" with this. One's choice of car carries no value judgement (unless you're talking pollution, etc). I am just curious about the target demographic.

I'm just wondering what the ultimate demographic will be. A lot of the press seems to focus on the advantage of getting the kids in the back seat like a minivan.

Kids have as many fathers as they have mothers. If you are implying that ease of getting kids in and out is primarily a girl concern, then a vehicle could appeal to the guys by having things like a super fast acceleration, cool looks, style, and what the heck, maybe something like falcon wing doors. All of which, of course, the Model X already has. I don't think there will be much of a gender bias for the Model X. I'm a guy who hates minivans, and I would love to have a Model X.

Sorry if the title doesn't sound proper- that's why I put "girl car" in quotes. I know that vehicles are not gender specific. Seeing a lady driving a F350 is not common, and seeing the NHL player driving the Tiguan is not common. There is nothing "wrong" with this. One's choice of car carries no value judgement (unless you're talking pollution, etc). I am just curious about the target demographic.

My wife drives an F250. It sounds like you are a little worried that if you buy a Model X people will look at you driving by and think you are a girl? Seems like kind of an odd thing to be worried about.

You could perhaps say Model X is more geared towards families than Model S, but then again that is not its only target market. As has already been covered, anyone who needs more space for gear, adults, children, etc might be interested in Model X over Model S.

My wife has been driving nothing but SUV's since our 92' Explorer until she got a 11' Prius (at my suggestion). The first few days after she drove the Prius she complained people kept on tailgating her which has never happened before when she's in an SUV. She did not say it but it's now apparent that she never wanted anything other than an SUV.

My first choice is always two seat sports car, Miata or not.

This is kind of a silly post. My wife drives (and loves) our performance Sig MS. Over 50% of MS drivers I see in town are female. Does that make the MS a girl's car? However, I do plan to get the MX in Obsidian black. No girly color for me.:smile:

The X is able to serve a LOT of markets, they just made sure it would also work for a market somewhat ignored. That doesn't make it a 'girl car', it makes it a flexible use vehicle.

^^^

+1

I'm sure I will enjoy the captain's chairs layout and the easier getting in and out as a driver if there is no center console (just a walking area), and the possibility to take long naps mid-trip of longer trips without having to stop precisely where there's some really good hotel (remember: 6 seater, no center console: should be enough room? I'm hoping ... the reveal the reveal ...)

Put a shotgun in the frunk, ammo in the glove, knives everywhere, 100' proximity alarms, and all you need is a safe camp site and no worries. To me, the shiny "girly" nature of the car would be a + since I wouldn't be considered "aggressive" when people size me up, and they wouldn't send their goons after me as a result, but when push came to shove, I'd have something to work with, rather than a dainty model S. We shall see.

I've always considered open-ass cars (pickups) to be a cheap man's "truck", or more like it, a crappy version of a van wannabe that makes the rest of his "family" sit at home waiting for him to come home. So I don't see the world the same way as everyone else, therefore, who the heck cares what other people think?

Last edited:
My guess is that the demographic will be something like 60/40 men/women. Hopefully Tesla does whatever it can to appeal to as many people as possible, both men and women. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to appeal to both sexes. For instance, my previous car only had a makeup mirror on the sun visor of the passanger side while my current car has it on both sides. That improvement costs like 2 USD.

People choose the damndest things to attach gender to. I once asked why the Boxster was considered a woman's car and was told it had won an award from a women's group. I hate to break it to you, guys, but female astronomers unanimously agree that Earth is the most habitable planet in our solar system. Now where are you going to live?

The Model X will be popular with whatever demographic doesn't worry too much about how it defines them.

I note that the EPA rates the Model S and Model X as having identical interior volumes.

Whenever FuelEconomy.gov adds a new car that they don't have all of the information for, it seems they copy the data from a similar model. When the 70D was announced, they had both a 70 kWh and an 85 kWh battery listed for it. This made no sense (unless the 85 kWh battery was only software-limited to 70 kWh). I submitted feedback and they updated the data a couple of days later to show that the 70D does indeed only have the 70 kWh battery.

I'm sure the FuelEconomy.gov listings will be corrected/updated once the X is unveiled on 9/29 and more data comes out.

People choose the damndest things to attach gender to. I once asked why the Boxster was considered a woman's car and was told it had won an award from a women's group. I hate to break it to you, guys, but female astronomers unanimously agree that Earth is the most habitable planet in our solar system. Now where are you going to live?
Maybe that's why Musk wants to go to Mars. Earth is too girly. You women can go live on Venus...

I asked my dogs what they thought and they said:
"modil eggs is for doeg, boys doeg, girls doeg.not matters.all doeg should have model eggs."
image.jpeg