Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X features be in Cyber Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping they include the auto opening of the drivers door when you approach the vehicle, suto close when you exit the vehicle, and tap the break peddle to close the door.

Great simple nice to have features I would love to see in the cyber truck.

I remember a run down on the Model X door opener by the Tesla tech on Rich Rebuilds Youtube channel. Said they have all sorts of issues especially in icy conditions. Said the mechanism has punched right thru doors. I like the auto close, but I can do w/o auto open

Reactions: kayak1
I remember a run down on the Model X door opener by the Tesla tech on Rich Rebuilds Youtube channel. Said they have all sorts of issues especially in icy conditions. Said the mechanism has punched right thru doors. I like the auto close, but I can do w/o auto open
I had a MX for many years. Auto open was 50% convenience, 50% annoyance. Auto Close, however, was 100% great, especially on brake pedal application.

We have two Model Xs, and have not had any problems with the mechanisms at all, although we don't live in a heavy icing area. Love the ability to be able to use the screen, key fob, or app to open any door, FWD, trunk, and now frunk w/the aftermarket actuators. It's nice to be able to open up the passenger door for my wife when she has her hands full and I'm swinging by to pick her up.

I suspect they aren't going to put that capability in the Cybertruck, but I'm going to miss it. If Tesla doesn't start adding a power open/close ability to the frunk, then I'll definitely be adding that myself with aftermarket kits like I did with our MXs. It really increased our use of that space.

Reactions: TessP100D
I am hoping they include the auto opening of the drivers door when you approach the vehicle, suto close when you exit the vehicle, and tap the break peddle to close the door.

Great simple nice to have features I would love to see in the cyber truck.
Totally agree. That is one of the few things I miss in downsizing to a Model Y. It's like once you have experienced power windows, why would you want to crank them? Perhaps a door with no handles is an indication that auto-doors might be included.

Reactions: GSP
Unfortunately, which is the big turn off for me, aside from still not being able to like the look of this strange looking thing, is the fact that the interior appears far more Model 3/Y like than it does to the S/X. After driving Model S cars for years, I tried the Model 3 and hated it. I went back to the Model S primarily due to the interior and higher build quality. Hated having just one screen and sacrificing 1/3rd of the screen to driver info that should be directly in front of you on its own screen and placing the usable stuff further away from the driver. Also hated having to control even simple functions from the screen (Glove box, wipers, AP settings, mirrors, tilt, radio controls, AC controls, etc, etc). These cars still require drivers and I very much appreciate the DRIVER friendly features of the S. Being able to feel what you're doing rather than having to turn your head and look at everything you're doing.

I hope I'm wrong. But, for my personal needs and preferences, I won't ever buy a Model 3 again. I like the Y, but for the same reasons, wouldn't touch it. I really want the truck, but, if it operates more like a Model 3 than a Model S, no chance I'll consider it.

Reactions: TessP100D
I had a MX for many years. Auto open was 50% convenience, 50% annoyance. Auto Close, however, was 100% great, especially on brake pedal application.
I had two Model Xs and have thoroughly appreciated the auto open and auto close. The sensors are great and have never caused my doors to hit anything. (I guess, there could be a situation if it was parked on the street and as you walked up, it opened to an oncoming car. Fortunately, I neve had that experience, probably because I kept my eye out for it and didn't approach the car until it was safe).

Perhaps a bit of a pain when walking by the car with your key, but the convenience far outweighs the hassle. And if you don't like it, you can turn it off in the software.

I really, really miss it on my Model Y. I now have to walk around to open my wife's door. It was so nice to have the car be the gentleman and impressive to the ladies as well. Can't wait for it to come back with the CT. I should say my wife's CT. I ordered it for her and that overcame any objections!

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
I had two Model Xs and have thoroughly appreciated the auto open and auto close. The sensors are great and have never caused my doors to hit anything. (I guess, there could be a situation if it was parked on the street and as you walked up, it opened to an oncoming car. Fortunately, I neve had that experience, probably because I kept my eye out for it and didn't approach the car until it was safe).

Perhaps a bit of a pain when walking by the car with your key, but the convenience far outweighs the hassle. And if you don't like it, you can turn it off in the software.

I really, really miss it on my Model Y. I now have to walk around to open my wife's door. It was so nice to have the car be the gentleman and impressive to the ladies as well. Can't wait for it to come back with the CT. I should say my wife's CT. I ordered it for her and that overcame any objections!
Yeah. Mine never opened into an object while parked. But I need to walk around my car a lot in the garage so it was always a hassle in the garage. I think if I could turn it off with a geofence only at my home I'd have liked it a lot more. With the CT it'll end up being parked in the driveway in all likelihood as it's just a bit too big for our garage. So auto-present doors won't be nearly as much of a problem.

Are they able to handle opening in a parking lot in a high wind? I had my door caught by the wind in an old car and it did serious damage to the car I was next to. Ever since I hold the door when opening, but since the X is computer controlled perhaps they note when the door opens faster than it should and provide tork to stop it... Anyone know?

Are they able to handle opening in a parking lot in a high wind? I had my door caught by the wind in an old car and it did serious damage to the car I was next to. Ever since I hold the door when opening, but since the X is computer controlled perhaps they note when the door opens faster than it should and provide tork to stop it... Anyone know?
If the car senses an object close to the opening door (another car or wall), it will open just a bit and then provide resistance to opening further. You have to manually open it the rest of the way to get in. Usually that's enough, but if there is a seriously high wind (maybe over 25 mph coming straight from the rear) then yes, that could be a problem since if there is enough force, the car thinks it's the driver trying to get the door open. Between both our X's we've only come across that situation maybe twice. You are already just a couple feet away when the door opens, so you're already in a good position to reach out and hold the door.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Same same. You can still hold it and dampen the speed.