Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X have electrochromic windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model-3 will be purchased by a whole different breed of consumers. Ones that are not early adopters or fanatical about this sort of thing. I predict that the majority of Model-3 consumers won't be huddled around a forum, drooling for scraps of information to feed on.

I agree Model 3 will attract a more mainstream audience and one that is, on average, less enthusiastic and thus less likely to frequent forums like this one.

That said, my gut questions your conclusion. My own experience from for example the world of Volkswagen Group forums, suggests that while the likes of high-end Audi and Porsche may attract more passionate owners by nature, the sheer volume of Volkswagen and Skoda owners will eventually dwarf those.

It is simply a numbers game. Even if only 1 in 10 out of 100,000 people gets involved, it is more than 1 in 3 out of 10,000, just to throw some numbers in the air for illustrative purposes.

Now, I agree this may not be the case in pre-release spying. I expect the Model 3 attendance figure to seriously go up only once it is available. But already today, I think we can see enough of "waiting for Model 3" people frequenting even the Model S and Model X forums to make at least myself take note.

The flood will eventually overrun this early adopter sanctuary too. And that's a good thing for TMC, Tesla, the mission and for all of us. :)

Given the speculation on Gorilla glass on Model X windshield/panoramic front window, I found this note of dynamic glass from the makers of Gorilla interesting for our speculation in this thread:

Forget Gorilla Glass: 2 Corning Products That Could Change the World -- The Motley Fool

That Dynamic Glass may not be automotive-suitable as is, but shows interest from the maker in that area. And the cross-beamless large Model X panoramic front window all the way from bonnet to falcon wings could certainly benefit from such (or the like from competition).

The Model-3 will be purchased by a whole different breed of consumers. Ones that are not early adopters or fanatical about this sort of thing. I predict that the majority of Model-3 consumers won't be huddled around a forum, drooling for scraps of information to feed on.

Elon has, however, made the statement in the past that just because the Model 3 is smaller/cheaper, it doesn't mean it will be lacking in technology.
-------
This forum has already changed - the days of Roadster owners was significantly different from when the Model S Signature and early production folks showed up. And today we see a large number of people who are intolerant of any failing on Tesla's part and really have zero interest in the whole EV environment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying owners should be more tolerant - but I think we've already seen the early adopters overrun here on the forum & it's only going to get worse. At least from my perspective. The forum has changed a great deal. Not judging if that is good or bad, but it's definitely changed. A LOT.

Last edited:
My neighbor has a Model S that they have had to replace the windshield in it twice. A few weeks ago another one broke and they tried to get it replaced and Tesla stated that they did not have any inventory. She called around and everyone stated they cannot get Tesla windshields.

She asked Tesla when they would have them and they stated they did not know but when they came in the car would have to be done by Tesla at their center and it would have to be calibrated. She was confused why she would need her windshield calibrated.

Does this make sense? She suspected it might be because they are switching to an automatic tinting windshield.

My neighbor has a Model S that they have had to replace the windshield in it twice. A few weeks ago another one broke and they tried to get it replaced and Tesla stated that they did not have any inventory. She called around and everyone stated they cannot get Tesla windshields.

She asked Tesla when they would have them and they stated they did not know but when they came in the car would have to be done by Tesla at their center and it would have to be calibrated. She was confused why she would need her windshield calibrated.

Does this make sense? She suspected it might be because they are switching to an automatic tinting windshield.

calibration is needed for sensors and cameras mounted behind the windshield.

Ref: Windshield and Glass Collision Repair

"Drivers AssistThe basis of this article comes from a simple procedure of replacing a windshield in vehicles equipped with driver assist systems such as lane lock/lane change from Honda and Subaru’s Eyesight that use cameras or lasers focusing through the windshields. In these replacements, we’re finding that a scan tool is required by some vehicle manufacturers to recalibrate cameras and/or other optical devices. Honda, Subaru and Volvo are just a few on a growing list that require scan tool procedures if the vehicle is so equipped. This creates a dilemma for the auto glass industry, as these technicians do not have and/or haven’t used scan tools before. Each vehicle manufacturer has a different requirement for scan tools, and there is no single tool out there that does it all.
This refuels the debate on which scan tools a shop should buy. Is the one you’re looking at capable of these advanced functions? Do you buy a tool for Ford and one for GM? Do you need another one for Honda, then another for Toyota? This list goes on and gets expensive.
Sending a car to the dealer also creates problems due to cycle time being affected. I hate to say this, but it also begs the question: Is the dealer trained or prepared for this? Does the technician have the training or ability to use the tool correctly? Can I use aftermarket glass, or does it have to be dealer glass? Does the dealer know how to calibrate the system to use aftermarket glass? These problems are already causing huge headaches in the auto glass industry. The fact is that there is no one tool currently that does it all in the scan tool world.
In almost all these systems, the driver can override or shut off the feature. This has fueled a debate as to whether these systems are required to be functional before returning the vehicle back to service. The systems themselves have limitations as to the environments they work in.
For example, you’ve just replaced a windshield in a new Honda, and you need to recalibrate the camera for the new windshield. You do not have a scan tool capable of doing this, and the dealer is either 100 miles away or is not able to do this procedure for you for three days. What do you do? Do you shut off the system until the repair can be completed and prevent the owner from using the system they paid for? Do you hold the vehicle until the repairs can be completed and reduce your liability? Remember, this sensor is connected to other required safety systems. Now, a safety device has been rendered inoperative by not completing repairs you were assigned to do or were hired to complete. Where does this place your liability? Either way, the customer is not happy. These features are not required safety features yet, but they are safety features."

I have not read that anywhere else. I'm not assuming it is true, want confirmation from Tesla.
Can't it be something like that tesla means with
Optimized solar tinting and obstruction-free view creates unlimited visibility for the driver and all passengers.
How could you say it's optimized for the sun if it's not change depending on the sun? That doesn't mean that you can change it after free will.

So, does this tweet exchange confirms some kind of -chromic windshield in Model X??

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 103