TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will Model X Plaid release finally fix shudder?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by seantay00, Jan 16, 2020.

1. seantay00

seantay00 Member

It appears from multiple posts that the Rev D hardware isn't a permanent fix for the dreaded shudder. This means all MX owners may be stuck paying $2K/year (10-15K miles) in perpetuity for their vehicles, or alternatively learn to accept the issue.

This doesn't seem to be a sustainable long term option for the Model X platform. Would it be feasible to think if they are redesigning some of the motor design for Model X Plaid that they'd ensure they resolve this issue too? Otherwise I wonder if Tesla considers end of life for the MX as the MY takes off, then re-releases some new SUV off the Cyber Truck. These warranty claims are going to cost them a ton otherwise...

2. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

hmmm, I assume you are talking about the shutter in the front end on some cars while accelerating around 30 mph? If so, I had my fixed with the Rev D hardware last year. 20,000 miles since that time (I drive a lot on interstate) and never had an issue. The updated clevis mounts was the better improvement for me. That fix seems to work well for most people, but sounds like it doesn't for some?

• Like x 1
  3. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

It is only happened once to me. And now, I just leave my height set to "low". No issues.

• Informative x 1
  4. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

I've had the halfshafts replaced on my vin 807 three times, the latest with the updated hardware and the issue hasn't returned, but I've also kept my suspension in low. What height do you drive around in?

• Informative x 1
  5. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

Just keep a close eye on your rear wheels. Have a check from the rear of the car, low down. I left mine on low and after some months of not checking, when I did, I found the tires were dangerous to drive on - the tread had completely worn through on the inside edges.

• Informative x 1
  6. jboy210

I have been checking. But, so far the tires look like new, They are 20" so have longer life than the 22" and I only drive 8,000 miles or less a year

• Helpful x 1
  7. Popeye

Popeye Member

im at my 5th time at dealer with shutter today. im really hoping they just keep the car already. I am 44 days in service today. plus 400 miles of service driving my car. waiting for lemon law to take place now.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. Silicon Desert

That sounds typical. I'm going to guess your first couple of half-shaft replacements were before the latest rev and clevis mount design. Few people ever experience the replacements as a permanent fix. When I experienced it early last year, I did not bother getting them replaced as I knew from talking to people out at the plant, that the problem would likely return even if not being an aggressive drive on the accelerator. So I waited for the new Clevis mounts and then did the change. I drive in "standard" height all the time unless I am out on my sister's uneven gravel road where I put it in the highest setting for that 1 mile stretch of road. And to repeat, over 20K miles now with no issue, and yes, I do occasionally hit the accelerator hard on some of those very short merge ramps.

9. Silicon Desert

Yo jboy, I know you to be a really smart guy, so I'm betting that you know to check the tread depth on the inside tread and compare to the outside tread to notice a difference.... if there is a change.

10. jboy210

That is what I did. The wear is pretty even across the tire.

• Informative x 1