Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X styling be dated by the time it arrives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the production design has yet to be unveiled, but how much do you think it will change?
Should Tesla lead the next styling phase or play it safe?

Hyundai seem to have introduced the "free form wave" design that some others have moved towards. Just look at a Ford Escape. It changed drastically from the last body style. To me, it looks like a Hyundai.

Dodge and Jeep seem very Fiat recently. I'm not sure what happened to the Grand Cherokee or the newly unveiled 2015 Renegade. Guess they aren't as bad as the 500L (puke). I don't mind the Dart - maybe the Model III can play off that mixed with a little Subaru BRZ, of course with four doors. I won't be sad if it has some C3 Corvette inspired hips, either. Don't know how well that can translate to SUV proportions.

Back on track - I like the styling of the Model S, but the X, to me, just looks like a bloated version of the same. I know they aren't doing the Audi "same face" thing, but how much will it differ?
Will styling move back to harder lines and flatter panels (Lamborghini Aventador?) rather than complex hydro-formed-looking panels?

Would it be too early to delete the nosecone ahead of a Model S update or should the X roll with what is has and revamp the line when the Model III arrives and trends have changed a little?

I know the production design has yet to be unveiled, but how much do you think it will change?

Hyundai seem to have introduced the "free form wave" design that some others have moved towards. Just look at a Ford Escape. It changed drastically from the last body style. To me, it looks like a Hyundai.

Dodge and Jeep seem very Fiat recently. I'm not sure what happened to the Grand Cherokee or the newly unveiled 2015 Renegade. Guess they aren't as bad as the 500L (puke). I don't mind the Dart - maybe the Model III can play off that mixed with a little Subaru BRZ, of course with four doors. I won't be sad if it has some C3 Corvette inspired hips, either. Don't know how well that can translate to SUV proportions.

Back on track - I like the styling of the Model S, but the X, to me, just looks like a bloated version of the same. I know they aren't doing the Audi "same face" thing, but how much will it differ?
Will styling move back to harder lines and flatter panels (Lamborghini Aventador?) rather than complex hydro-formed-looking panels?

Would it be too early to delete the nosecone ahead of a Model S update or should the X roll with what is has and revamp the line when the Model III arrives and trends have changed a little?

I don't think the two options are 'lead the next styling phase or play it safe'. If you've read any of the falcon wing discussions, they're definitely not playing it safe by keeping the doors.

I happen to like the styling. And I'm looking forward to the reveal of the production version. But I'd be not-happy if they decided to go back to the drawing board and completely restyle. That's a loser's game (not to mention another delay). They don't need to look at what everyone else is doing & mimic it. Just my two cents.

When it comes to SUV/CUV/Minivan there is either boxy or what you are calling hydro formed.

The last boxy one in either mid-size or small is the Honda Pilot. And it is moving to hydro in 2016.

IMO they will play it safe keep hydro and nose cone.

They will also do this with Model 3 and CUV variant (Model Y?).

Big and Boxy for Tesla full size PU aka keeping it safe.

The potential Gen3 Coupe and/or roadster Model R will likely get really bold. Low volume vehicles.

If successful then maybe move that design language to the rest of the line even if that does not mean the exact face where you had small,medium and large size bratwurst from Audi,BMW, and MB.

I like the X's styling; the nose is not bad either with its 'angry bird' look as someone put it (as compared to the S's fish mouth). It won't look dated atleast for 2-3 years from launch.

There are some easier, cheap styling changes that'll make it more current in 2015 - things like light pipe DRLs and LED taillights.

It's been over a year since Aston Martin's VP of Engineering, Chris Porritt, joined Tesla in the same role. It will be interesting to see how his vehicle engineering expertise blends with Franz's aesthetics. I do expect more from the beta than just a facelift on the current prototype.

It's been over a year since Aston Martin's VP of Engineering, Chris Porritt, joined Tesla in the same role. It will be interesting to see how his vehicle engineering expertise blends with Franz's aesthetics. I do expect more from the beta than just a facelift on the current prototype.
"The Model X is going to be a phenomenal car."

Elon Musk

(Don't know how we could get better insider information than that).

I expect that the final sheet metal will have approximately the same look as the prototypes, but with better details.

I'm of the opinion that timeless rather than edgy design is better. The edgy stuff like what Hyundai does, and like Fisker produced, tends to look odd after a couple years.

Yes, I guarantee it. Here's why

Truth. There are actually people who don't like the styling of the S... I don't know who those people are... But I am positive they exist. There is no way to please everyone, but you can please most people :)

Yeah but it's not the best thing if you are trying to do business by innovating. You please the right people, not the most. And purposefully disenfranchising a group can also be a strategy to gain leadership and traction and influence others.