Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model Y qualify as SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per this.. seems iffy to me. I don't see how they put MY and pick up trucks or Van in the same category. I would like them to but see very little chance.

Assuming it doesn't. Would Tesla sell SR version on MY at $55k???

addition, there are new caps on how much vehicles can cost. For SUVs, pickup trucks, and vans, the threshold is $80,000. For sedans, hatchbacks, wagons, and other vehicles, the credit cuts off at $55,000. An IRS spokesperson told Consumer Reports that certain definitions—including which vehicles will be classified as SUVs and which will be considered cars—have not yet been set, although guidance from the Treasury Department should be coming soon.

reference: Buyers Are Still Awaiting Clarity on Which EVs Qualify for the New Electric Vehicle Tax Credit - Consumer Reports

The Model Y is classified as a “compact luxury crossover SUV.” But I would not be surprised if the Treasury Department invented a wholly new classification system to try to box Tesla out.
And they absolutely should. $70K vehicles do not need subsidies.

And everyone on their forum would have you believe demand is through the roof (even though Tesla is handing out incentives left and right and there are no more months-long delays for delivery).

The real answer to this “problem” is Tesla needs to lower their prices to remain competitive and spur demand. This is just Elon hoping for another government handout to boost margins.

It will be interesting to see how the demand will be after the first of the year. Although a $70k vehicle is not cheap, I would think the vast majority of people would gladly wait a month in order to save $7500. I don’t regret picking our MYP up last March, but I would’ve gladly waited another month to get a $7500 cost break.

And they absolutely should. $70K vehicles do not need subsidies.

And everyone on their forum would have you believe demand is through the roof (even though Tesla is handing out incentives left and right and there are no more months-long delays for delivery).

The real answer to this “problem” is Tesla needs to lower their prices to remain competitive and spur demand. This is just Elon hoping for another government handout to boost margins.
Right. IRS will probably will come up with minimum height of 70 inch or minimum width of 79 or minimum length of 200 ( or some combinations of that) which will get MY out of $80k limit.

They should probably have 3 categories. Don't see how Small SUV can be in the same category as pick up truck or VAN (those are much larger vehicles and typically cost 25% to 30% more)

Right. IRS will probably will come up with minimum height of 70 inch or minimum width of 79 or minimum length of 200 ( or some combinations of that) which will get MY out of $80k limit.

You forget a Ground Clearance (with 2 passengers) higher than 6.8 inch.

They should probably have 3 categories. Don't see how Small SUV can be in the same category as pick up truck or VAN (those are much larger vehicles and typically cost 25% to 30% more)

Maybe there will be (again) a separate categories for electric vehicles assembled by union workers. See one year ago proposal:

As proposed, EVs qualify for another $4,500 in the tax credit
if an automaker makes the vehicle in the U.S. with a union workforce.
A final bonus credit of $500 is awarded on vehicles powered by battery cells
manufactured in the U.S. for a maximum of $12,500 available to qualifying filers.

Last edited:

My lightning cost less than a Y

Reactions: acpd