TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will MX fit in my garage?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ohmman, Sep 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I haven't noticed a change. Is this the first time you've seen that happen? Do you have your suspension geofenced to low in your location? Even if you do, I have noticed that when parked, the suspension setting isn't always obeyed. This occurs with my S and my X.

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I don't have my suspension geofenced to a specific setting at my location, as long as my suspension remains on standard (or below) a impact shouldn't occur. I haven't tested high or very high but its probable those two settings would result in an impact.

I would assume the X does not automatically adjust to high or very high on its own? However, when I exit the car after driving (park in the garage) I hear the suspension make noise, likewise when I reverse the car from park it makes noise again.

3. ohmman

I would make the same assumption, but I wouldn't rely on it.

As far as the suspension noise, I think that's what I was talking about above. When in park/off, there's some stable suspension level. When you're in gear, it changes to "normal." Search the S threads for air suspension - there are a lot of people who agree that it seems to act randomly. For instance, in my Model S, if I raise it to "very high" to clear a concrete parking block, park, shop, and return, it'll lower itself to "normal" as soon as I put it in reverse, and come down on the parking block.

My unfortunate suggestion is to never open your garage door while your falcon wing doors are already open. Mine open in restricted mode but I still don't chance it.

4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I had umbrella mode enabled but it resulted in some occasional impacts to my head when I exited the driver's door so I enabled always fully open at this location for my garage. I actually try to make sure I only open the Falcon Wing Doors when my garage is already open but they are times when I inadvertently end up opening them.

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It's my experience/understanding that suspension levels are geo-fenced only for high and very-high. You can't geo-fence low or very-low. It would be awesome if my X would go into very-low every time I parked in my garage, but it doesn't do that today.

• Informative x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

I requested the feature to have low/lower geofenced few months ago. If you want the feature please make sure to request it!

7. ohmman

I've requested geofenced door height setting that takes into account suspension height. So basically max height of X based on location. That was a few months back.

• Love x 1
  8. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Interesting..... I back my X into the garage to avoid the opener and rails. May want to give that a try.....(watch the mirrors on the single door garage!!!) That's just a suggestion if power and other things permit.

9. ssq

ssq Member

Guys, my X doesn't open the the driver side FWD fully despite having ample space above and on the sides. Anyone else see this behavior? It used to a few months back, I got the sensors checked, to no avail.

10. ohmman

Do an override open (hold until fully open) and select "always open fully in this location" once it appears. Or have you already done that?

• Like x 1
  11. hahler2

hahler2 Member

So I'm doing some measuring to see how a Model X would fit in my garage. Floor to garage door rails is 87.5 and floor to the garage door when it's open is 91. So I don't see any issues with the FWD. However, the way our garage is laid out we need to be able to walk in front of the vehicles. So we always park as far back as possible so that the door just clears and maximize the space in front of the car. When I do that I only have roughly 84 inches of clearance at the back for the lift gate. If the lift gate is fully open what is the clearance? I haven't been able to find that measurement online.

12. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-LR M3AWD

I don't have the lift gate measurements handy, but the lift gate can be programmed to stop at a certain height.

13. hahler2

hahler2 Member

Yup. I was just curious how it would work out.

14. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

I just measured the liftgate fully open, it's about 7'7, or 91" off the ground at the highest point. At 84" you won't want to open that thing fully.

To allow it to open fully (ok, really just for peace of mind), we had the garage door rails changed to high lift tracks. They go straight up another foot before turning towards the garage. Plenty of room, cost about ~$200

15. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Also worth noting that our lift gate seemed to inherit the height setting from the FWD -- that is, I'm not sure you can set the FWD to open fully and not have the lift gate also try to open fully.

16. hahler2

hahler2 Member

Thank you for the info mal!

17. muleferg

muleferg Supporting Member

My driver side will not open fully if I go in to far that the manual closer is in the middle of the door. Open's when it at the front.

IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_0173.JPG

18. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Convert to jackshaft opener. No floating motor, no chain, no center track.

It's worth it if you have a model X!

• Like x 1
  19. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

you may wish to check a prior thread.... it has all the measurements for the Model X right after its launch.

teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-x-dimensions.60228/#post-1311432