TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will MX fit in my garage?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ohmman, Sep 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I haven't tried backing in yet to test it out. Summoning would take car of any issues, but since we have fine access to car as is, I don't know how often we'll use it. I think the garage door opener is so low in my garage that it would interfere with one door opening. If it was centered on the garage door I don't think it would be a problem, but since it's slightly offest to the right of the garage as you enter it, it will probably stop the door from fully opening.

I'll test it out soon and see. Still on 7.0 so don't have summon feature yet.

2. Xponential

Xponential Member

Blurry_Eyed, am I seeing correctly that your active spoiler seems to be in the extended position in most of your pictures, and in the retracted position in others? Any idea why it would be extended while the car is parked? Thanks.

3. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Yes, the spoiler extends when you drive. If you park the car and don't lock it, it will not retract. It only retracts once extended when you park and lock the car. I haven't noticed any timeout feature where the spoiler retracts after the car sits unlocked after a period of time. Since our garage is detached and secured with a code, we tend to leave our cars unlocked while parked in the garage.

4. Xponential

Xponential Member

Got it, makes sense. Somehow I had imagined that it would extend and retract with speed fluctuations as you drive.

5. pvogel

pvogel Member

It does. 3 positions. Max visibility, max aero, down and locked. The latter occurs only when you lock the car. The max visibility happens at low speeds and is the position you'll see in most parked shots when the car isn't locked.

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Good overview by pvogel.

Manual info with speeds. I added MPH info. Only version of manual I had.

7. Marcus Adolfsson

Exact same scenario.

With garage door opened:

half_back.jpg
    half_front.jpg

With garage door closed:

open_back.jpg
    open_front.jpg

• Like x 1
  8. pvogel

pvogel Member

My garage is almost ready for the X! 2 weeks of tidying to get here. Now it's clear enough for me to call an electrician for the HPWC install....

085c759e503f0e15efd57ed0f6f54053.jpg

9. satheesh.net

satheesh.net President | Tesla Owners Club Norway

Passengers for Swedes only? How about Norwegian? Jeg kommer på besøk! :wink:

10. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

I just signed a new apt lease and the garage door is 92" wide. My Infiniti G35 fits in there pretty easily, but I'm worried about the Model X's width.
    Any thoughts?

11. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Marcus, at what height is the garage door from the floor (when opened)? Funny, your photo is disappointing, because your garage looks well within the "standard garage" definition we were told the doors would operate in. At the same time, I'm super impressed by the functionality in Blurry_Eyed's less than standard garage. Who'd have guessed?

You might want to try backing in - you can probably open the doors fully with the garage door open if so.

12. Marcus Adolfsson

The track is at 86.5". Backing in works great... but the charger cable won't reach then.

13. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

Perhaps it's be a calibration/sensitivity issue. If that fails, try hanging a ladder nearby :wink:

14. pvogel

pvogel Member

92" gives you 5" of clearance on either side of the car if your mirrors are folded, which can happen as a result of your GPS location or with one press of a button on the door. 5" of clearance is more than I frequently have in various parking spaces, so should be plenty for driving in.

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Can it? I thought this was only a wish list feature at this point.

16. pvogel

pvogel Member

Unclear, hence my "or" clause :)

17. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Today was a milestone. The extra stuff that prevented both Model S and Model X to be in the garage at the same time were moved and the space cleaned. No storage facility required.

A MX won't fit in a garage if the parking spot has boxes of clutter, old construction materials, unused tools and unopened boxes from the last move 3 years ago!

(Tip: A half dozen 2 x 4's that need to be donated were temporary placed in the center of the parking space. Only two boards high, the Tesla cleared the boards nicely.)

18. ernies

ernies Member

So ordered, delivery by Monday per Amazon.

19. leh22a

leh22a Member

image.jpeg This is my X parked backwards in a "standard" garage. Ceiling is 9 feet. Doors wouldn't be able to fully open if I parked nose in.

20. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

Anyone Have An Opinion On Whether Or Not I Will Have MX Fit Problems?

We are about to place our order for the Model X. I think I have figured out how to get it into the garage without having to back it in….which my wife refuse to do, for good reason. Here is a photo of my space. I think that I only need to put some foam parking bumpers on the door supports as a safeguard. Does anyone see any concerns with this? I can select low suspension height to gain an inch.

And I note that another owner installed a light beam control to lock out garage door movements when the FWDs are open. I would add that to my setup, too.

I note that some have encountered problems with lower door heights. For remodeling reasons, we recently changed our garage door from a tradition five-panel design to a newer three-panel design. These three-panel doors require a larger radius on the track and therefore the top of the rails are about 6-7 “ higher. I can’t take credit for this “brilliance”, but it certainly in the right direction.

Attached Files: