Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Garage Parking Aid

Related to the above question about fitting a Model X into our garage, I have proposed that Tesla offer a simple software addition to help park the car accurately without a wheel stop. Using the ultrasonic sensor system, it would be possible to put the car in the garage at the desired depth, then touch a "Set Garage Parking Depth" setting. Thereafter, the car knows it is approaching the home garage, and the display shift to the one shown here. The car could creep on its own to the final spot.

Do others believe this is something Tesla should offer?

Attachments

• Garage Parking Indicator.jpg
    Garage Parking Indicator.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 264
Related to the above question about fitting a Model X into our garage, I have proposed that Tesla offer a simple software addition to help park the car accurately without a wheel stop. Using the ultrasonic sensor system, it would be possible to put the car in the garage at the desired depth, then touch a "Set Garage Parking Depth" setting. Thereafter, the car knows it is approaching the home garage, and the display shift to the one shown here. The car could creep on its own to the final spot.

Do others believe this is something Tesla should offer?
They do something like that already for summon. Currently I'm using a laser that is triggered from my garage opener light (amazon purchase).

Image: http://i.imgur.com/9PNMMXj.png
9PNMMXj.png

They do something like that already for summon. Currently I'm using a laser that is triggered from my garage opener light (amazon purchase).

Image: http://i.imgur.com/9PNMMXj.png
View attachment 113975

Yes, so it should be pretty easy to create a display for when the car is being driven into the garage. The system 1) knows that you are entering your garage, 2) knows you are in the driver's seat, 3) knows that you are steering and 4) switched the left IP display to assist parking at right distance. An option would be to allow the system to creep the last meter or so to the exact position. Just my own needs talking!

Yes, so it should be pretty easy to create a display for when the car is being driven into the garage. The system 1) knows that you are entering your garage, 2) knows you are in the driver's seat, 3) knows that you are steering and 4) switched the left IP display to assist parking at right distance. An option would be to allow the system to creep the last meter or so to the exact position. Just my own needs talking!
I agreed; that is a good way to do it. Will suggest to Tesla.

If someone is running out of headroom in their garage, they may want to consider a wall mounted garage door opener which does away with the center track. The opener mounts next to the torsion bars or springs. You can then raise the garage door track to be flush with the ceiling. This is what I did to my garage doors, although I really didn’t need the height. It makes for a much cleaner appearance, reduces noise, and adds features such as battery backup and WiFi accessibility. See
LiftMaster - Elite Series 8500 | Garage Door Openers | LiftMaster

If someone is running out of headroom in their garage, they may want to consider a wall mounted garage door opener which does away with the center track. The opener mounts next to the torsion bars or springs. You can then raise the garage door track to be flush with the ceiling. This is what I did to my garage doors, although I really didn’t need the height. It makes for a much cleaner appearance, reduces noise, and adds features such as battery backup and WiFi accessibility. See
LiftMaster - Elite Series 8500 | Garage Door Openers | LiftMaster

I will look into it but I don't think it would be possible on my garage. I will post a picture so you guys can see what I mean

I will look into it but I don't think it would be possible on my garage. I will post a picture so you guys can see what I mean

Here is some photos of my garage, I didn't measure the height but based on the design I would assume a wall mounted opener won't offer much benefit?

Attachments

• IMG_3486.JPG
    IMG_3486.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3487.JPG
    IMG_3487.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 196
Yes, you are right. Your tracks look about the same distance from the ceiling as mine. For me, part of the benefit was that there is no center chain/screw drive and motor. I have car lifts in some of my garage stalls, which I currently use for storage. I can stack the boxes on the lift and raise it until the boxes almost touch the ceiling (also good for cars).

Today was a milestone. The extra stuff that prevented both Model S and Model X to be in the garage at the same time were moved and the space cleaned. No storage facility required.

A MX won't fit in a garage if the parking spot has boxes of clutter, old construction materials, unused tools and unopened boxes from the last move 3 years ago!

(Tip: A half dozen 2 x 4's that need to be donated were temporary placed in the center of the parking space. Only two boards high, the Tesla cleared the boards nicely.)

How wide do you think a garage needs to be to fit both the Model S and X?

I might have missed a post or two on this, but can someone please let me know what the total height/clearance we need (FWD open) to fit the Model X in my garage. From Floor to lowest part of garage door opener mechanism, without the door touching it or restricting the door opening?

Can anyone confirm the position on the car (distance from front or rear) that the falcon wing doors require for clearance? I saw a diagram indicating that the front most point of the door when opened is 101.75" from the front of the vehicle, but I think this was an estimate based on photos or images of the X.

As an update, I just got my contractor bid for the garage upgrade that I'm performing due to the Model X. Turning two single-wide doors into a double-wide, adding a wall mounted Liftmaster 8500, raising the rails, re-trimming the outside and doing patchwork. $7500. o_O
Is that because he has to put in a new beam to eliminate the post between the two single doors?

Is that because he has to put in a new beam to eliminate the post between the two single doors?
That's definitely a big part of it. There's a new beefy header that needs to go in. There's stucco work that needs to be done, etc. I think a reasonable person would choose to just deal with the single doors, given the price tag. I'm not being reasonable here. As someone who was never enamored with the falcon wing doors, I'm just trying to make it so that I'm not annoyed when I try to open them. Reason will be conserved for another decision.

I have a garage with a relatively low ceiling (8'). My garage door, when open, allows for only 88" of clearance. I've had a lot of concerns about the falcon wing door clearance - if I can't open the doors in my garage, I may wind up in the very sad position of canceling my reservation and waiting on the M3.

There are quite a few pictures of X in garages with door open, rails about even with door height. If the FWD opens fully, it is above 88", if the door stops, it is below 88". There is some confusion as to actual measurements, but it looks like it should fit. I should ask my neighbor if I can measure his FWDs.