Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks - most examples in this thread have more clearance than I do. Best case, I get 86", but I may trade off trunk opening as a result of having to position the X behind a bar running across the ceiling. Next best is 79" if I move a support bracket (seems possible). Worst case is 75.5" if the bracket can't move (very unlikely).

I'm fine with an umbrella opening - most of the time in the garage I only need enough space for the kids to slide into the gap
If you look at this post of mine, you'll see photos of the abbreviated opening. It's not the exact same as umbrella, but it's very close. You can see that the highest point of the door is probably at about 84". You will have to get the X in and experiment with what works best.

The umbrella opening is generally fine for children or adults getting in and out. However, it causes one issue which is that it makes it difficult to get into the front doors when the falcons are open. The door is low enough that you have to duck under it if you're trying to make your way around an open front door. Maybe I'm not explaining it very well, but I'll just say that it's cumbersome and it annoys me regularly.

The bigger concern might be your lift gate clearance. I have 86-88" of lift gate clearance and I still bang my head occasionally. There's not much space to get items in and out when it's in the garage.

I will recommend air suspension owners to set their suspension to drop to "Very Low" when arriving home. That'll give you a little extra space.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I have modified my garage with a jackshaft opener (Liftmaster 8500), a single double-wide garage door (removes rails in the center of the garage from the previous configuration), and tucking the rails as high as possible. While this work was going on, the firmware changed to the "indoor/outdoor" style forced-umbrella. The thing is, my doors fully open when my suspension is set to Normal or below. Anything above that, however, and they make contact with the open garage door or the outside rail.

Does anyone know - if you set to "fully open at this location," will that bypass only the forced umbrella mode, or will it completely ignore the sensors and try to fully open without regard to the overhead obstacles? Because as it sits now, if it's the the latter, I just reconfigured my garage for nothing. I get no extra exiting overhead with the fixed/forced umbrella.

I have modified my garage with a jackshaft opener (Liftmaster 8500), a single double-wide garage door (removes rails in the center of the garage from the previous configuration), and tucking the rails as high as possible. While this work was going on, the firmware changed to the "indoor/outdoor" style forced-umbrella. The thing is, my doors fully open when my suspension is set to Normal or below. Anything above that, however, and they make contact with the open garage door or the outside rail.

Does anyone know - if you set to "fully open at this location," will that bypass only the forced umbrella mode, or will it completely ignore the sensors and try to fully open without regard to the overhead obstacles? Because as it sits now, if it's the the latter, I just reconfigured my garage for nothing. I get no extra exiting overhead with the fixed/forced umbrella.
My experience has been that it will ignore the overhead sensor, but active sensing from the doors will still stop the door. Problem for you would be that contact points may not be in sight of door sensors on the way up.

My experience has been that it will ignore the overhead sensor, but active sensing from the doors will still stop the door. Problem for you would be that contact points may not be in sight of door sensors on the way up.
Thanks. I tested it today, and you're correct that the door sensors will still work even if you set it to "open fully in this location". In other words, I believe that setting effectively returns the doors to the same operating parameters that existed before the forced-umbrella mode. So that's great news! I can now open my doors quite a bit more in my garage, which gets the corner of the door away from my eyeball when I'm entering the front seat.

IMG_2494.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
For aesthetic reasons, I modified my garage door rails so they are 6" higher. This modification coincided nicely with our upcoming Model X acquisition. Attached find a pic I took between the left and right garage doors being modified which illustrates the additional gain of 6" on the single garage door side. So I went from 87" to bottom of the rails to 93" to the bottom of the rails.

Of note, my advisor brought a founders X by this am and the test was pretty dismal. I'd say around 30% opening of the left door (when in the single stall bay) and about 65% opening of the right FWD. The advisor said that the newer X's have better software that allows for the doors to open further (similar to Ohman's pic). I'm not so sure about that since I would think the car would have received it's sw updates with the rest of the pack, but it is also possible that sensors etc are better on later models.

Of note, 87" is a pretty typical measurement per the garage folks which doesn't bode well for people fitting their X's into most garages.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 127
Thanks. I tested it today, and you're correct that the door sensors will still work even if you set it to "open fully in this location". In other words, I believe that setting effectively returns the doors to the same operating parameters that existed before the forced-umbrella mode. So that's great news! I can now open my doors quite a bit more in my garage, which gets the corner of the door away from my eyeball when I'm entering the front seat.

View attachment 190510
@ohmman , are you still able to do this after the latest two updates? In my case, it seems the sensitivity has been dialed up too much and one of my FWDs only opens to 75% now due to it detecting a shelf. I'm not getting the option to "always open fully in this location" message either.

@ohmman , are you still able to do this after the latest two updates? In my case, it seems the sensitivity has been dialed up too much and one of my FWDs only opens to 75% now due to it detecting a shelf. I'm not getting the option to "always open fully in this location" message either.
My X is still at the SC (day 17) with no ETA on coming home. Sadly, I have no idea if anything has changed since mid-August..

Will the FWDs detect the garage door opener and stop or do they open partially so that passengers could potentially enter/exit ? I'm afraid I'm going to have to "fix" my garage before the car gets here.

Hi, I have a 3-car garage and I usually park 1 car in the double door stall. I also usually park toward 1 side. Here's the issue... I have a low ceiling garage so my door opens in umbrella mode. 1 side is OK, but the other side is not. Please see attached pics.

IMG_6055.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG

The upper part cleared fine, but the lower part (the door window actually) looks like it will hit the black hook if I don't forcefully stop the door myself. I didn't dare to try if it will stop by itself. It will likely break the door window if it proceeds. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there even sensor on the window part? TIA.

My current solution is to park more toward the center which works, but it it makes getting around the garage harder for the humans.

Hi, I have a 3-car garage and I usually park 1 car in the double door stall. I also usually park toward 1 side. Here's the issue... I have a low ceiling garage so my door opens in umbrella mode. 1 side is OK, but the other side is not. Please see attached pics.

The upper part cleared fine, but the lower part (the door window actually) looks like it will hit the black hook if I don't forcefully stop the door myself. I didn't dare to try if it will stop by itself. It will likely break the door window if it proceeds. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there even sensor on the window part? TIA.

My current solution is to park more toward the center which works, but it it makes getting around the garage harder for the humans.
I have the same metal "hook" and covered it with some pipe insulation and cable ties. That way if I accidently close the garage door with the trunk open, it will minimize the damage.

Otherwise, I find that the sensors are currently conservative and easily stop short of any obstacles. However, there are situations that the sensors can be fooled because there is a thin obstruction outside of sensor range. The sensors are on the roof of the model-x, so one option is to try to park directly under that "hook" (that's what I do, but I have a single-car garage). That way the sensors see the "hook" and avoid hitting it, plus it gives the doors more room to open.

If that's not possible, you could always try to fasten a similar obstruction (parallel to the "hook") to your garage door and in line with the sensors. That way the sensors will know how high it can open the doors.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
Thanks. I currently park directly under the hook in the center. This works for now. I will try to park the car on the single garage when I get a chance to see if that works better. I am not sure if one of the FWDs can open in that stall so more experiments are needed.

Thanks. I currently park directly under the hook in the center. This works for now. I will try to park the car on the single garage when I get a chance to see if that works better. I am not sure if one of the FWDs can open in that stall so more experiments are needed.
I have a similar garage configuration with the low black hook attached to the opener.

Have you tried backing your car into the garage? I was hoping my FWD would be in front of the hook if I backed in. (I just ordered my Model X last week, so I still have a while before I could test this theory.)

I have a similar garage configuration with the low black hook attached to the opener.

Have you tried backing your car into the garage? I was hoping my FWD would be in front of the hook if I backed in. (I just ordered my Model X last week, so I still have a while before I could test this theory.)
I have not because my charger cable won't reach it if I do. I do believe it will work if backed in.

I also tried parking in the single space and that didn't work very well. One side next to the wall could open but it's smaller than umbrella mode. The other side, where it has a lot more space horizontally, actually couldn't open much (can't even reach inside) for some reason. I think it's detecting the rail for the double garage, which is really odd.

I have not because my charger cable won't reach it if I do. I do believe it will work if backed in.

I also tried parking in the single space and that didn't work very well. One side next to the wall could open but it's smaller than umbrella mode. The other side, where it has a lot more space horizontally, actually couldn't open much (can't even reach inside) for some reason. I think it's detecting the rail for the double garage, which is really odd.

Ok. I am having the electrician install our outlet on the front part of the right wall in our garage because that is where our panel is which also happens to be perfect positioning for the charge port if I back in. Hopefully, this will help with the FWD issues, too. Thanks for the quick reply!

We did a high lift conversion to our garage, changing from the traditional opener to a jacklift opener. It turns the torsion bar that's above your garage in order to open the door, instead of pulling the top of the door using a chain. This raised the door tracks and the door itself from barely 7' to over 8.5' and shortened the tracks significantly. There's nothing on the ceiling for most of the garage now.

I recommend it for model X owners worried about the interaction between their FWD and their garage opener/doors. There's no shared air space in our garage now... the X would need to be on ramps to reach anything above it.

Does the X park in standard or low suspension following the updated firmware? I was less than an inch from impact when I opened the garage while my doors were already open. (normally I have 3-4 inches of available space).

IMG_2204.jpg