TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will my 94" width garage be ok?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by X-Man, Mar 10, 2016.

1. X-Man

X-Man Member

Hi,
    New to the forum. Looked through a few threads and couldn't find any discussion. I want to push order, but...

I know the width of the X is 89.4" which is super wide. My garage is 94", but then opens up (115") after the initial lip. Am I asking for trouble by parking it in the garage even with the side mirrors closed? I know physically it would fit, but worried about the high risk of scratching the sides!

Would the summons/self park work in this tight of a space?

Another opinion...does anyone park their car in the street? I may be moving to SF in a few months :(

I wish I had the $ to just buy a new house with a bigger garage!

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I have two garage doors for the same garage and both are about the same width as yours. Since the X is 81.5 inches with the mirrors folded, I am sure it won't be a problem.

3. Gas Guzzler

Gas Guzzler Member

Is there an option to keep the mirrors closed while driving? My garage is a bit tight also at 95" and I was considering having a contractor shaving off some of the sides of my garage so that it's a more comfortable fit traversing through the opening.

4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I am pretty sure you can. If not, you can also summon which keeps the mirrors folded.

5. Roamer

Roamer Member

You can press the center button on the mirror control panel and they will fold and stay folded.

6. Gas Guzzler

Gas Guzzler Member

Awesome! Otherwise, I'd have to help my wife back the car out every time she leaves the house. Summon may or may not work for us. Our driveway is sloped and I'm told by the DS that summon has some issues with inclines. Fingers crossed.

7. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I wouldn't recommend street parking a nice car anywhere in SF. You'll get all sorts of scrapes, scratches, or worse. And people don't leave notes. They just hit and run. The size of the Model X would make finding a spot tricky too, in most neighborhoods.

Enjoy your upcoming Model X!

8. X-Man

X-Man Member

Thanks all! Definitely feel better and ready to push go...soon. ;)

9. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

With regard to the summons feature with tight garage width. It will work but you will have to go into the options and set it to allow the car to go into narrow spaces. Summons probably won't with the default settings. I have a four door garage, three of which are 96 inches and one is 104. The one wider spot was designed for my wife. She had an issue judging width of spaces We have had to have several mirrors replaced but don't tell her I told you.

• Like x 1
  10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I thought in SF if you leave your Tesla outside on the street that folks will just key it or spray paint it and vandalize it in various manners. they hate tech folks out there.