Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my bicycle and family fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife desires a 7 seater for all the kids and dogs. I also want to carry my bike inside the vehicle everywhere. We currently drive a Bolt EV which doesn’t have enough seats for everyone, especially if I split the rear seat and bring my MTB (which effectively turns it into a 3 seater.)

You might be asking why I don’t just get a roof rack or bike hitch. I don’t like wind noise, don’t like the lack of security and showing off a $5k bike everywhere I drive. I miss my Model S, where I could throw my small frame 29er into the back without even taking the wheels off...

My question is - will a 29er MTB fit into the Model Y while using its “6” seat configuration? I figure if I take front and rear wheels off (easy), lower the dropper post, and fold down one side of the third row, I should be able to slot the bike and wheels right into that space while still leaving the seat next to it available for medium dog or small child etc...

Does this sound reasonable? Or will the handlebars be hitting the roof? My fear is the hatch height is somewhat low and the bike would need to be laid on its side just to fit (which causes the front fork to be in the passengers lap).

I’m hopeful we can stuff a 29er, baby, 8 year old, 2 medium dogs, and 2 adults into Model Y. That trip needs to be done for one hour once a week and would rather not have to buy a van or gimmicky expensive X, although it sounds like that may be required. Thoughts?

I just looked in the back of a 6 seat Model X and it looks like it won’t even fit in that 6th slot because the load floor is so high in the trunk. It’s a real shame Tesla doesn’t offer a minivan. And an even bigger shame that minivans are not in style. In my view most of these so called SUVs really don’t have a lot of utility or off road capabilities. Might as well get a car.

For moving people, pets and their stuff nothing yet invented beats a minivan. The Chrysler Pacifica is available as a plug-in hybrid vehicle. The latest generation of the Toyota Sienna minivan is only available with a hybrid drive system.

I’ve been looking into the Pacifica PHEV and it sounds appealing for its presumably better highway cruising NVH and comfort vs Sienna. And I have charging already at work.

But they seem to have the same problem as Tesla: They are expensive and problem prone. Except a Tesla is actually fun to drive with amazing tech... We drive 20- 30k miles a year each vehicle and warranties run out quick. I know the logical choice is to buy the Toyota and drive the boring thing for the next 10 years. But who wants to do that? I wouldn’t want to keep a Pacifica or Tesla for 10 years. Too many headaches...

For daily use the Pacifica PHEV can travel up to 32 miles on battery power. You lose the utility of the second row seats folding into the floor of the Pacifica with the PHEV configuration. The Toyota Sienna can deliver an average of 36 MPG, impressive for a minivan. The Sienna hybrid is new but the Toyota hybrid drive system is a well proven design used in many other Toyota vehicles. As I told my neighbor (who now has three children), by the time he is done he will probably be on his second minivan (they currently have the Honda Odyssey minivan.)

Yep, I bought a Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid (don't get me started on the naming confusion) and I love it.

While I don't trust the reliability, mostly because it says "Chrysler," I got mine in 2018, and have had it for over three years now without any real issues at all. There was a recall, and lots of updates, like any other car. The cargo capacity is huge! All that being said, it is my second plug-in vehicle in nine years, and I would really love a BEV to replace it. I have an order in for a dual-motor CyberTruck, but honestly, I need to see what the final configuration is, before I can say for certain that it will replace how we use the minivan. One of the big reasons we got the Pacifica, is because it was one of the very few large vehicles (seating six or more) that had a fully adjustable front passenger seat for my wife who was sporting a broken tailbone at the time we went car shopping. It was the only vehicle that she could sit in comfortably; that, coupled with it being the ONLY plug-in minivan on the market at all, made us get it.

It was truly a surprise dark horse to see the Pacifica PHEV pop on the market 4 years ago, especially after writing letters to Honda and Toyota for the past ten years, begging for the same. I am glad we have it. In my life of frequent short trips and occasional long trips, we get an average MPGe in the 50s.

Reactions: EchoDelta
Loose leaf thoughts:

1. A bike can be locked to a rack, and the rack locked to the hitch.
2. I wouldn’t know you had a $5k MTB unless you told me :) I suspect the overlap of people who know the cost of the bike and would want to steal it is zero.
3. I wouldn’t buy a 7 seater Y, simply because those rear seats will become useless as the kids grow - and limits where the dogs can go, and cuts your storage down.
4. A 5 seater Y might work for you with a hitch, and use the trunk/frunk storage for all the stuff you have to haul for outings.
5. I’ve tossed my large frame e-bike in my Y with the seats down. Too much of a PITA to do repeatedly.

Your teetering on needing a X or minivan if you refuse to do a hitch. IMHO, you can all fit in a Y if you can accept a hitch.

Loose leaf thoughts:

1. A bike can be locked to a rack, and the rack locked to the hitch.
2. I wouldn’t know you had a $5k MTB unless you told me :) I suspect the overlap of people who know the cost of the bike and would want to steal it is zero.
3. I wouldn’t buy a 7 seater Y, simply because those rear seats will become useless as the kids grow - and limits where the dogs can go, and cuts your storage down.
4. A 5 seater Y might work for you with a hitch, and use the trunk/frunk storage for all the stuff you have to haul for outings.
5. I’ve tossed my large frame e-bike in my Y with the seats down. Too much of a PITA to do repeatedly.

Your teetering on needing a X or minivan if you refuse to do a hitch. IMHO, you can all fit in a Y if you can accept a hitch.
The 7-seater definitely comes in handy, especially if you have young kids who are just out of boosters. They fit there very easily back there.

I was able to pick up my brother's family from the airport just last month. My 7-seater plus tow hitch storage box fit 3 adults, 4 kids, 2 large suitcases, 2 carry on suitcases, and a couple of backpacks. I originally thought I'd have to bring 2 cars or order a shuttle service for them.

Wife desires a 7 seater for all the kids and dogs. I also want to carry my bike inside the vehicle everywhere. We currently drive a Bolt EV which doesn’t have enough seats for everyone, especially if I split the rear seat and bring my MTB (which effectively turns it into a 3 seater.)

You might be asking why I don’t just get a roof rack or bike hitch. I don’t like wind noise, don’t like the lack of security and showing off a $5k bike everywhere I drive. I miss my Model S, where I could throw my small frame 29er into the back without even taking the wheels off...

My question is - will a 29er MTB fit into the Model Y while using its “6” seat configuration? I figure if I take front and rear wheels off (easy), lower the dropper post, and fold down one side of the third row, I should be able to slot the bike and wheels right into that space while still leaving the seat next to it available for medium dog or small child etc...

Does this sound reasonable? Or will the handlebars be hitting the roof? My fear is the hatch height is somewhat low and the bike would need to be laid on its side just to fit (which causes the front fork to be in the passengers lap).

I’m hopeful we can stuff a 29er, baby, 8 year old, 2 medium dogs, and 2 adults into Model Y. That trip needs to be done for one hour once a week and would rather not have to buy a van or gimmicky expensive X, although it sounds like that may be required. Thoughts?
I have a 7 seater and a 29 MTB (Ibis). I cannot see a way how to do what you described. I had a Odyssey before and even then, I don't see how to fit 6 people and a bike inside the van.

Not possible. And I agree with the poster above, I had an Odyssey too and it wouldn't really be possible there to seat 6-7 with a MTb, unless you had a smaller frame and put it in the back trunk of it.

I have both road and MTB's, on the XS/S 27" size. I attached a picture of my XS carbon bike which weighs like 12 lbs and is smaller than my MTB, in my Y the other day. I felt I had much more room than I did when I'd put the bike in the S, but I can't imagine trying to fit a MTB in it without multiple seats down, even with wheels off
20210425_104659.jpg