Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my M3 prevent me from crashing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a little embarrassed that I don’t know the answer but I’ve never intentionally tried to crash into something. If for example, I drove towards a concrete wall, would the car mechanically prevent me from crashing by stopping the car? I would also like to know if I was on a freeway trying to do a lane change and there was a car in my blind spot, would the car prevent me from making that lane change? This lane change situation did happen this past weekend with my wife and son in the car. I started making a lane change and it was actually my wife who screamed and corrected me before I entered the lane. She asked me if the car would have stopped me but I didn’t know. I would have assumed so but I’m honestly not sure. Just to be clear, I’m not speaking about EAP. Just standard driving.

It won't stop every type of collision and it's not real good at detecting non-moving objects. If try to drive into a wall I think you will succeed. It does have some blind spot protection and emergency lane correction as well as other safety features, but you're still mostly in control.

Is that blind spot correction an audio warning or does it take over steering?

People have reported both, but I haven't ever had it make a noise or correct. The Mr. almost merged into someone the other day and got zero reaction from the car. I have had several people almost side swipe me, also with no reaction.

Maybe the blinker has to be on? So it wont help if you are the victim of a side swiper.

It beeps loudly and usually applies some light counter-steering, but not that much. The counter-steering is jarring at first. I'm learning to anticipate when it's about to happen. I get alerts from this system and from the "you're about to rear-end somebody" system probably at least once a day. It seems to be very conservative.

It will absolutely let you change lanes and cause a crash, though. The counter-steering isn't really a takeover, it's more of a warning, and you can fight it.

I don't think it'll stop you driving into a brick wall right now. Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance should stop you from moving into an adjacent lane if the space is occupied, if it isn't disabled in the settings (ELDA is only on the Model 3 so far.)

It beeps loudly and usually applies some light counter-steering, but not that much. The counter-steering is jarring at first. I'm learning to anticipate when it's about to happen. I get alerts from this system and from the "you're about to rear-end somebody" system probably at least once a day. It seems to be very conservative.

It will absolutely let you change lanes and cause a crash, though. The counter-steering isn't really a takeover, it's more of a warning, and you can fight it.

There are two levels of counter steering. I think if you just drift lane it’s a gentle bump. If it thinks you are going to collide it will be stronger.

I think I’ve had 1 or 2 your about rear end something in 10 months and 9.5k miles. Not a problem.