Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my new tires change my car performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm considering changing the tires on my Model 3.
I don't really understand the differences between homologated and non homologated tires (except for the price), so I'm trying to determine their impact on my tesla with data from the internet, community and calculations shared by one of my friends who owns a Model X (performance), and worked for a contractor involved with chassis dynamics!

I think this forum is the best place to have extra informations and support from community.

Here is my reflexion:

- 2.7s from 0 to 60 mph:
My friend (Model X owener) told me
"On a very 1st order basis , you could assume for every 5% reduction in dry grip between tires, you would add +0.2 sec to the 0-60mph time. "

"For MDL X, the highest dry grip tire is the Michelin PS4S which is 7% higher in grip than the lowest grip OE tire which is the Pirelli, no data for non homologated tire"

- 305 miles of range –
*from my research and calculations
As a assumption, we can say that for every 1 kg/ton in tire rolling resistance, you will lose approximately 3-4% in vehicle range.
*My friend told me:
"On MDL X the best to worst rolling resistance within the OE tires (the best is Conti at 7.7, worst is Good Year at 10.7) could be around 3 kg/ton so maybe it could have an impact on range around 10% (around 30 miles). Average aftermarket tires wouldn't be much worse than the Good Year I guess."

For Model X, if it's true, I think the performance loss is amazing (especially for range)
All this data is for Model X and I'd like the same thing for Model 3.

Has anyone already evaluated tire performance for the Model 3?

Another missing element is the noise difference (decibels). Does anyone know about it??

thanks for you help

I think "non-homologated" in this context is being used to refer to a tire that does not come as an OE fitment.

tirerack.com has many, many instrumented tests with data on tires. The relationship from the tirerack tests won't be exactly 1:1 to any other specific car, but they are good for general tire comparisons.

In general, the most important safety system and performance feature on any car are the tires. The difference in stopping distance from good tires to bad tires can be over 100 feet. MPG on a gas car can easily be changed by >10% based on tire choice as well. The handling feel of performance cars can be changed dramatically from tire to tire, and grip differences can be 30-50% different. So yeah, this is real. Lots of discussion on other threads on this forum regarding specific tires as well.

The model 3 is not traction limited. Changing tires will not improve your 0-60 time at all. Even on the P the PS4S gets the same 0-60 times as folks running the OEM all-season mediocre tires.

Stickier tires will significantly reduce stopping distance though (from the 125-135 feet of the MXM4s to roughly 100 feet of the PS4S)

Stickier tires will cost you some range too, but the few folks who've posted about this I've seen it's been a <10% difference

On a very 1st order basis , you could assume for every 5% reduction in dry grip between tires, you would add +0.2 sec to the 0-60mph time. "

Perhaps if it were traction limited which it is not.

Changing tires will not improve your 0-60 time at all. Even on the P the PS4S gets the same 0-60 times as folks running the OEM all-season mediocre tires.

^ This. Car is not traction-limited. Technically it is not true ;) - If you go with a smaller outside diameter tire, your 0-60 (certainly 0-45) will be faster, since you will have more force applied to the ground for the same torque. But you will be more limited at the top end. And your speedometer will not read correctly.

I’m all for someone doing it and reporting the results though! Someone get some 235/35R18s!

Hi thanks for your answers.
here's some additionnal informations, I find a way to calculate approximatively the range difference on Model 3!

The difference in rolling resistance represents 1kg/T to 3kg/T for example I take :
the Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105 (non OE) VS MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4

Yokohama European class is E
Michelin PS4 European class is B

When you check what does this labelling mean here
Class E = 9,8 kg/t
Class B = 7,15 kg/t

So you can have a difference of 2,65 kg/t between Yokohama and Michelin

This difference amounts to a gain of 9,3% in range with Michelin.

In a nutshell : Non OE approved tires will save you a few hundred bucks but reduce your range by more than 30 miles.

Tesla should talk about that and give insights to their customers

Looking forward for your reactions

Not sure this analysis is true. Based on this TireRack test of the V105, it gets about the same mpg as the Michelin PSS, which was the successor to the PS4, and they have the same treadwear rating (which is usually useless, but in this case you're comparing a Michelin product to a Michelin product, so it's possibly indicative that the range on the PSS and PS4 are similar).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174

In a nutshell : Non OE approved tires will save you a few hundred bucks but reduce your range by more than 30 miles.

I don't think this is true as a general statement, either. There are dozens of options for tires besides the OE spec, and many of them will likely offer similar range.

I just changed the stock oem tires Continental Pro Contact rx to the Continental PureContact LS without foam inside tire, both have the same weight 23lbs. The deal breaker was the 70k warranty on tread wear , they seem pretty quiet and responsive, the oem are much quieter , they don’t look that bad, here is quick video