Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my Teslaoffer frunk device invalid any warranty? Need my 12v replaced soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an error message on my X that my 12v needs to be replaced and I've made a service appointment they're sending out a mobile repair person soon. However, because I have the Teslaoffer frunk device setup in the frunk and directly attaches to the 12v, should I have any concern and remove it before they start their service? I'm afraid (due to the numerous horror stories of Tesla passing the buck) that they will invalidate some aspects of my warranty due to it.

I just received the kit from the group buy, and haven’t installed it yet. I’d also like to know if they would deny any coverage because of the kit. Is the power supply easy enough to remove really quick before service so it’s not so obvious? Or would the frunk not open correctly without power?

It has happened before. Tesla may charge you for the battery and service. I posted someones bill in the group buy. People don't talk about this but having the frunk connected directly to the battery means it never turns off and drains the battery too low when the cars inverter is asleep. It will ruin the battery.

The solution is a switched power source or a battery big enough to last until you use the car or put your car in a battery tender if it's siting a while.

Often I wonder if your battery is really bad. Like if you put it on a battery conditioner would it recover. The car may just think your battery is bad because it woke to low voltage however many times but it's just your frunk.

Actually, just because something is hooked to the battery directly, does not mean it’s always on. These Frunk openers “activate” when they sense the Frunk latch unlock/lock circuit activated. They might take a few milliamps though.

Now that doesn’t mean Tesla won’t think like you do.

OP also keep in mind that Tesla might have charged for a new battery even without the Frunk opener.

Actually, just because something is hooked to the battery directly, does not mean it’s always on. These Frunk openers “activate” when they sense the Frunk latch unlock/lock circuit activated. They might take a few milliamps though.

Now that doesn’t mean Tesla won’t think like you do.

OP also keep in mind that Tesla might have charged for a new battery even without the Frunk opener.

I agree that it's likely not drawing a lot of amps but the controlbox is always on wating for a signal to open or close. It literally has lights that indicate it is on that I can see. Also I can tell the foot sensor is on because you can hear it. It makes a noise if you put it to your ear and it works indicating it has power somehow without getting a signal from anything else to turn on.

I don't blame the power kits anyway. Really why do these cars have such small 12v batteries? My lawnmower has a bigger one.

I agree that it's likely not drawing a lot of amps but the controlbox is always on wating for a signal to open or close. It literally has lights that indicate it is on that I can see. Also I can tell the foot sensor is on because you can hear it. It makes a noise if you put it to your ear and it works indicating it has power somehow without getting a signal from anything else to turn on.

I don't blame the power kits anyway. Really why do these cars have such small 12v batteries? My lawnmower has a bigger one.

I think to cut down weight.

I'd be fine if they voided my battery warranty for my power frunk.

What I am worried about is if they claim it damaged the DC converter. That's like $3000.

I found posts from people with aftermarket amps in their model S and tesla didn't cover their converters going out because it's the 12v system.

My gauge cluster screen on my MX would turn off and on as I was driving. I made a service appointment took it in. They blamed the USB drive I had connected for the Tesla dashcam.

I disconnected the drive the car still did it.

Two updates later it fixed itself but the service experience kind of threw me off. I mod’d every other car before this one, but kind of freaked out to touch this one.

In my personal opinion, if they can blame it...they will.