Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will NagGate turn in to the next AppleGate or will Tesla actually fix the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
They have already “tweaked” it by lowering the torque sensing threshold (likely as low as is reasonable to eliminate most false positives).

These future changes just mean they will be replacing the “hold wheel” nag with a more informative “turn wheel slightly” nag, since they don’t actually have any way to know if you’re holding the wheel.

CF52A9E1-DD78-44D3-9E69-0D5B8CAA2675.jpeg

And you sir are why Tesla has had to resort to this. LOL LOL (hope you are kidding)

No I'm not. The idiots that are sleeping, texting, watching movies, etc. are the reason Tesla is resorting to this. There are a big difference between weighing your wheel down and watching a flipping movie.

And besides, isn't the hypocrisy of the whole matter the fact that you DON'T want increased nags so that you DON'T have to constantly steer? I solved the problem for myself rather than whining to Tesla to do it for me.

What is absolutely ridiculous is that: at the same time they increased the nags, they decreased the visibility of it!!!

The white strobing halo around the instrument cluster has been replaced with just a white line at the top. Many people have their steering wheels adjusted in such a way that the steering wheel blocks the view of the top edge of the instrument cluster. If they're going to reduce the visual cues, at least place what's remaining of it in an area that we all see, regardless of seat / wheel adjustments, like at the bottom.

I want to voice this to Tesla... Where is everyone sending their complaints about the nags, so I can send this there as well?

What is absolutely ridiculous is that: at the same time they increased the nags, they decreased the visibility of it!!!
This may not be an accidental oversight. A less visible warning would require more attention to see, so it is only visible by those who are paying careful attention to the screen. This prevents those who are just sort of paying some attention from reacting fast enough and allowing AP to escalate and be disabled for those folks on their drive.

Unfortunately, staring at the IC isn’t as safe as looking out at the road, so this is definitely a step backwards. We should be paying attention, looking ahead, not fiddling with the wheel and staring at the IC.

Reactions: JohnnyG
This is about the most ridiculous whine-fest I've seen when it comes to Tesla's since they started shipping the Model S...

All any of you have to do is hold the freaking wheel... THAT'S IT... Every time you engage AP it tells you this, there are no secrets here, JUST HOLD THE WHEEL....

Why do we need countless threads on this? Why is this so hard for some of you to understand...???

Jeff

This is about the most ridiculous whine-fest I've seen when it comes to Tesla's since they started shipping the Model S...

All any of you have to do is hold the freaking wheel... THAT'S IT... Every time you engage AP it tells you this, there are no secrets here, JUST HOLD THE WHEEL....

Why do we need countless threads on this? Why is this so hard for some of you to understand...???

Jeff
Again, the problem is that I am holding the wheel, yet I get nags anyways, and it's distracting and annoying. Just because the way you hold the steering wheel you don't get nags doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone. If it was just one or two people complaining it would be one thing, but looking at the activity (complaints) on the forums clearly there is something wrong with this latest update (although that's great that your method works for you, I wish my method would work for me).

TAll any of you have to do is hold the freaking wheel... THAT'S IT... Every time you engage AP it tells you this, there are no secrets here, JUST HOLD THE WHEEL....
Just holding the wheel is not sufficient in my AP1 90D, I have to tug slightly on the wheel. Just holding was sufficient previously, but not with the latest update.

If you have frequent curves in the road, it's easier to keep AP happy, since you can just resist the APs turning of the wheel, and that counts. But my commute is 90% straight highway driving, so I have to tug on the wheel constantly or I get warnings.

Reactions: boonedocks
Just holding the wheel is not sufficient in my AP1 90D, I have to tug slightly on the wheel. Just holding was sufficient previously, but not with the latest update.

If you have frequent curves in the road, it's easier to keep AP happy, since you can just resist the APs turning of the wheel, and that counts. But my commute is 90% straight highway driving, so I have to tug on the wheel constantly or I get warnings.

If you say so... I drive on straight roads, curved roads, all kinds of roads... My hand rests at the 8 o'clock position with my elbow on the driver door and no nags...

Jeff

Again, the problem is that I am holding the wheel, yet I get nags anyways, and it's distracting and annoying. Just because the way you hold the steering wheel you don't get nags doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone. If it was just one or two people complaining it would be one thing, but looking at the activity (complaints) on the forums clearly there is something wrong with this latest update (although that's great that your method works for you, I wish my method would work for me).

Nope, just more whining and complaining from people who simply can't accept the simple reality that this is NOT autonomous driving, it's NOT a hands free system, it never has been... I hope Tesla ups the nags to every 3 seconds like Mercedes...

Jeff

It is people whining and complaining that they have a paid feature set that was changed on them without any fault of ours. Yes others abused the system but a majority of us never have and we operated the vehicle safely.

Only it didn't change, if anything it's doing a better job of making sure you're being attentive... Don't like that? Then people should stop doing stupid stuff while AP is activated... Again, just keep you hand on the wheel and you'll be fine...

Jeff

I used to wait until the nag then slightly turn the wheel. After the last update, I discovered that is just as relaxing and comfortable to lightly hold the wheel. I drove 100 miles on AP today and didn’t get a single nag while very lightly resting my hand on the wheel at 5o’clock.

I like it better now.

-Jim

Reactions: EV-lutioin
That's right Jeff, it didn't change but it's better now (shrug). I respect your opinion that you believe the change was for the better but others are allowed to have the opposite opinion as well. Especially when we paid for something that has changed the way we interact with it.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Jeff with all respect, I am getting nags every 1-2 minutes even with BOTH hands on the wheel, firm grip, not letting go of the wheel AT ALL in a 2018 MX... This is not OK. This is a problem. This is not just whining. It is making AP pretty much useless for many of us. Perhaps you didn't apply the update that is causing this issue?
There is no way this would be possible in my AP1 car. I’d suggest taking your car in.

Just to be clear, you do know it’s looking for a torque bias right? Are you balancing out the torque of one hand with the other, just exactly perfectly?

-Jim

Reactions: Matias