Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will NagGate turn in to the next AppleGate or will Tesla actually fix the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeff with all respect, I am getting nags every 1-2 minutes even with BOTH hands on the wheel, firm grip, not letting go of the wheel AT ALL in a 2018 MX... This is not OK. This is a problem. This is not just whining. It is making AP pretty much useless for many of us. Perhaps you didn't apply the update that is causing this issue?

I have 2018.21.9...

kingjamez said:
There is no way this would be possible in my AP1 car. I’d suggest taking your car in.

Just to be clear, you do know it’s looking for a torque bias right? Are you balancing out the torque of one hand with the other, just exactly perfectly?

-Jim

That's what I was typing but you beat me to it... :)

Jeff

Reactions: kingjamez
If you say so... I drive on straight roads, curved roads, all kinds of roads... My hand rests at the 8 o'clock position with my elbow on the driver door and no nags...
I understand that you are not having issues, but that does not me others are not.

Why is it hard to believe that some Model S's are more or less sensitive than others? Honestly, I'd be surprised if they were not.

I absolutely cannot drive with my elbows resting on the center console or door (that was my preferred way to drive in AP before the change). That now gives nags in a just a few minutes. I have to have the weight of my arm pulling on the wheel for it to count.

Only it didn't change, if anything it's doing a better job of making sure you're being attentive... Don't like that? Then people should stop doing stupid stuff while AP is activated... Again, just keep you hand on the wheel and you'll be fine...
Since I was already paying attention and always kept one hand on the wheel, the change is not making me more attentive. If anything, I am more distracted now, because I now have to check the dash more frequently to see the top edge is subtly flashing white.

Also, since I did not do "stupid stuff" while AP was active with the old system, so I can't really stop.

Makes sense, I've only used it for the occasional un-paved parking lot, so obviously a smaller area.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how high a priority this is for Tesla, along with the FWD phantom obstacle detection. Those two reasons seem like the primary points of dissatisfaction with Model Xs and I suffer from both of them. That said, I've experienced long response times to similar issues from BMW as well. My X5M and X6M both suffered from cast front driveshafts that would snap under heavy load, in some cases doing $30-40,000 in damage when they failed. BMW started with a bulletin to inspect them (but failures occurred in cars that had been inspected only a week before), finally extended the warranty on them to 10y/100,000mi and only as a last resort finally recalled them. That was a potentially deadly flaw, since in a few cases it happened at speed and sent large chucks of metal flying down the freeway and it was over a year or two before they finally recalled them. So far, the Tesla issue seems more of an inconvenience than a danger, but as soon as one of the CV joints actually fails and sends an axle down the highway, it might get more attention.

I have 2018.21.9...

That's what I was typing but you beat me to it... :)

Jeff

I understand that you are not having issues, but that does not me others are not.

Why is it hard to believe that some Model S's are more or less sensitive than others? Honestly, I'd be surprised if they were not.

I absolutely cannot drive with my elbows resting on the center console or door (that was my preferred way to drive in AP before the change). That now gives nags in a just a few minutes. I have to have the weight of my arm pulling on the wheel for it to count.

Well now I am wondering how the steering wheel resistance option affects this: I have mine on comfort and I need very little input to cancel the warning. I am going to try on sport steering wheel setting and see if it needs more input.

I’d rather not have regressive software updates foisted upon me - especially without release notes.

So I just drove from LA to San Diego and the new nagging remains completely unacceptable. One or both hands on the wheel the entire trip, yet now eyes are off the road much more so as to prevent AS from getting cancelled in traffic w/nowhere to safely pull over to reset.

Inherently LESS SAFE than before 21.9.

Put another way, I did not shell out six figures (twice - stupid me) to be less safe today than I was last week.

Tesla: 1) Start including standard release notes with every release, readable *before* opting to apply the release. 2) Do not introduce releases that create less safe conditions.

You’d think both would be no brainers.

Here’s a third one for those who don’t quite grok the matter at hand:

Don’t tell me how to drive. Assume less. Learn more.

That will be all.

Don’t tell me how to drive. Assume less. Learn more.

That will be all.

Sadly, the thousands of safe and law abiding drivers such as yourself are not the ones who drive the news headlines nor the attention of legislators.

I think this pattern of correction / over-correction / correction etc will always be a part of the OTA update process.

Any product refresh can suffer from the same sort of over-zealous tweaking but Tesla are far more proactive than most manufacturers to reach across the airwaves and adjust your car.

It's like having an invisible mechanic who has poor communication skills but nevertheless keeps changing things.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This is crazy... A group of people who attack careless drivers for not having their hands on the wheel... Are complaining about this. How many times has someone posted 'read the manual' & 'both hands, pay attention, driver responsible'....

And now complaints about Tesla updating your car without your permission??? Isn't the post purchase update one of the features you have always bragged about and criticized other automakers for not having?

You can hold the wheel, and be inattentive.
You can not hold the wheel, and still be attentive.

It isn't the hands on the wheel, it is the attention on the road.

I am not sure how the current torque sensing + nags .. is even a solution to the problem.
The problem is that Tesla doesn't have an attention test. The Model 3 camera some day might be able to do it. With the current S/X hardware they would need to implement some kind of an attention test, maybe drive close to a concrete barrier and if the driver didn't correct it, that means they are not paying attention, disable AP for the rest of the day. Or, do somewhat more direct test, do something stupid but controlled so it does at most superficial damage (nobody gets hurt or dies), for example drive close enough to a barrier to scratch the mirrors. Make it realistic, give as much time as you would in a real life scenario when AP is likely to kill you, like 6 seconds for the poor guy in California. It would actually accomplish 2 things, one it would add a penalty for not paying attention (get in the parts queue inattentive driver) but also if people knew such tests will happen, they would be much less likely to relax and not pay attention. Anyone who is in fact paying attention should have no problem with that, such attention test should only happen every 30 minutes (on average, but of course possible to get 3 in 5 minutes too, just to make sure people don't doze off after one).

Can you imagine the whining and complaining we'd see here though? ;)

This will be changed quickly, it is just NagGate. If it was a scandal with the CEO, I don’t t know, but ElonGate just seems like it would drag on and on....
Hopefully it gets fixed quickly. I will say it's succeeded in giving attention to Cadillac's SuperCruise. After watching some videos about it online I'm going to go test drive it to compare how the "hands free" approach with the camera sensors watching your eyes works. If that makes it to the Chevy Bolt, then they may have an actual competitor to Tesla (minus the lack of Superchargers).

And now complaints about Tesla updating your car without your permission??? Isn't the post purchase update one of the features you have always bragged about and criticized other automakers for not having?

Um... I'm pretty sure you have to take an action to install a software update so this false accusation that Tesla is updating your car without permission is just ridiculous FUD...

Still no nags... Drove another 100+ miles in the last day or so, not ONE single nag...

Jeff

Since I was already paying attention and always kept one hand on the wheel, the change is not making me more attentive. If anything, I am more distracted now, because I now have to check the dash more frequently to see the top edge is subtly flashing white.

Also, since I did not do "stupid stuff" while AP was active with the old system, so I can't really stop.

It's a fleet wide system so like it or not, when one moron does something stupid that gets the attention of an overtly anti-Tesla bias press, we ALL suffer...

All of that being said, still no nags on 2018.21.9... Not one... So either my car is some special unicorn or I'm holding the wheel as instructed... You be the judge...

Jeff

It's a fleet wide system so like it or not, when one moron does something stupid that gets the attention of an overtly anti-Tesla bias press, we ALL suffer...

All of that being said, still no nags on 2018.21.9... Not one... So either my car is some special unicorn or I'm holding the wheel as instructed... You be the judge...

Jeff

Not being a "judge" like ahmmm others...But my car certainly was not acting like your car, I won't judge. After full reboots and a 5 minute power off my car is responding and acting in a way I can accept and no more nags for me either.

Reactions: jeffro01
Hopefully it gets fixed quickly. I will say it's succeeded in giving attention to Cadillac's SuperCruise. After watching some videos about it online I'm going to go test drive it to compare how the "hands free" approach with the camera sensors watching your eyes works. If that makes it to the Chevy Bolt, then they may have an actual competitor to Tesla (minus the lack of Superchargers).
Let me know what you think of the Supercruise.

It's going to be at least 2020 before SuperCruise comes to the Bolt:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/6/17433810/cadillac-super-cruise-expands-2020-gm

I think GM is behind the curve on this one. By the time, GM does expand Supercruise to the Bolt, Tesla will have improved AP even further ahead.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60