TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will new battery fuse allow for faster Super Charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by P85_DA, Jul 21, 2015.

1. P85_DA

P85_DA Member

Curious to know as couldn't find anywhere ..but will the new fuse hardware allow for faster super charging ?

2. spottyq

spottyq Member

#2 spottyq, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    What limits charging is the power that the cells can accept, not the fuse. (A battery cell can accept less power input than what it is capable of getting out; whereas the fuse does not care which way the current flows.)

A fun calculation : taking the 'old' fuse limit into account and a low pack voltage for the 85kWh battery yields a maximum power through the fuse at 350V * 1300A = 455kW. Clearly, that's not the bottleneck for charging !

[Edit :] As randompersonx said, the 1300A rating is burst, not continuous, so my calculation is moot.
    Anyhow, I do not believe the 'old' fuse is what limits supercharging at 120kW, but I do not have any evidence to back this up.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Member

Thanks for the explanation I was just looking for another excuse to justify ludicrous upgrade :)

4. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

I don't recall off the top of my head what the continuous rating is for the standard fuse, but 1300A is the burst rating, not continuous.

The continuous rating is much lower.

5. spottyq

spottyq Member

You are right.

6. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Charging is limited by the parasitic energy dissipated by resistance internal to the cells, which tends to heat them and cause chemical modifications such as plating of the electrodes, if I understand it right. So dissipation in an external switch should not be relevant to the warming of the cells' innards, whereas active cooling of the pack is very relevant. A superconducting battery could presumably be charged at an arbitrary rate.

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

One limit of supercharging is the number of AC inverters hooked up in parallel inside the big box behind the fence.

It takes a dozen of those to generate 120kW DC.