Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will next Model S refresh eliminate physical controls for most functions?

Will next Model S refresh eliminate physical controls for most functions?

• Yes, Tesla will emulate the Model 3 style on the next major Model S refresh

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • No, Tesla will continue a hybrid approach between touch screen and physical controls

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • Tesla will move some but not all controls to a new touchscreen central interface

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I'm wondering on the thoughts of Model S owners & enthusiasts when it comes to whether the Model S goes in the direction of the Model 3 in which nearly all physical controls are eliminated and most vehicle functions are controlled through the touch screen (intermittent wipers) or a combination of setting a mode on the touchscreen and then controlling things through the scroll controls on the steering wheel (mirror adjustment).

Is elimination of all physical controls seen as a plus or is the presence of these controls something that Tesla will use as a perceived upgrade on the Model S?

I'm wondering on the thoughts of Model S owners & enthusiasts when it comes to whether the Model S goes in the direction of the Model 3 in which nearly all physical controls are eliminated and most vehicle functions are controlled through the touch screen (intermittent wipers) or a combination of setting a mode on the touchscreen and then controlling things through the scroll controls on the steering wheel (mirror adjustment).

Is elimination of all physical controls seen as a plus or is the presence of these controls something that Tesla will use as a perceived upgrade on the Model S?
As a current Model S (17MS 75D) owner, I would need the current controls to be maintained...

The idea of looking at a touch screen in the middle of the vehicle to turn basic function on like wipers would be complicated and distracting

Reactions: daktari
Physical controls? What physical controls? We have buttons for the glove compartment, hazard lights,along with seat and window control.

All that's left are the stalks and they are pretty minimal and useful already.

I guess I could have provided a complete breakdown of the differences but figured most folks would know.

Here's what is on the Model S today that only exists as a touch-screen interface on the 3;

1. Mirror controls
2. Air vent controls
3. Cruise control / EAP controls (dedicated stalk AND distance controls)
4. Glove Box release
5. Full windshield wiper controls (intermittent rate, etc., controlled through physical switch)
6. Steering wheel adjustment

To some people elimination of all of those and moving it to the touchscreen is no big deal. To others it's a big deal. Also worth pointing out (but not point of this poll) is that Model S also has a center instrument cluster that displays some vehicle information in front of the driver that is not available on the Model 3 interface, or must be accessed on the Model 3 interface by using the touchscreen while driving.

No, the Model S isn't intended for the Tesla ride-sharing network like the Model 3.

That's very much a possibility. However many Model 3 fans insist that the button-less cockpit is actually a feature and it is superior to what is on the Model S. If that's true then I would imagine the S will emulate what the Model 3 is doing when it gets its next major overhaul.

I think they will stick with the current approach on the S. The 3 was designed with cost and producability as a huge driver and eliminating all those extra buttons and switches makes a big difference. The higher priced S won't have those same constraints to work with. I don't think anyone at Tesla thinks putting more functions on the touchscreen is better, just that it is cheaper.

They reduced physical buttons because of costs. They have to do that for the Model 3 but the S is a great seller because of the way it is. Simplifying will only lead to reduce in S sales.

Also don't forget that Porsche and others will have their own EVs available within the next year or two so they need to make the Model S not just more compelling than the Model 3 but also the upcoming EV competition.

Next year or the year after will be a wonderful time to buy an EV, as Tesla will have competition by then and it will compel everyone to make the best vehicle they can.

Two screens (like the new audi, Benz), significantly upgraded interior with higher end finishes. Also, maintenance of basic physical buttons and controls as currently built.

This will allow it to continue to compete with the EV cars of other manufacturers.

Competition is good. I'm excited to see the next 5 years in electric car design and production.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Two screens (like the new audi, Benz), significantly upgraded interior with higher end finishes. Also, maintenance of basic physical buttons and controls as currently built.

This will allow it to continue to compete with the EV cars of other manufacturers.

Competition is good. I'm excited to see the next 5 years in electric car design and production.

Speaking of the interior, I hope they make all their interior finishes and trims available across their entire model line. It's really silly how they are now limiting interior choices for anyone buying a P100D o_O

That's very much a possibility. However many Model 3 fans insist that the button-less cockpit is actually a feature and it is superior to what is on the Model S. If that's true then I would imagine the S will emulate what the Model 3 is doing when it gets its next major overhaul.
There are many owners that are trying to rationalize bad design decisions or ones done to control costs. It's funny to see the mental gymnastics when obviously bad decisions like the phone entry system are being reversed. They had proclaimed key fobs as obsolete and the phone entry is better.
Pretty much every independent review has says the center controls are clunky and physical buttons work better in most cases. I don't read owners' reviews because it's highly unlikely they'll admit something they spent so much on is faulty.

There are many owners that are trying to rationalize bad design decisions or ones done to control costs. It's funny to see the mental gymnastics when obviously bad decisions like the phone entry system are being reversed. They had proclaimed key fobs as obsolete and the phone entry is better.

Pretty much every independent review has says the center controls are clunky and physical buttons work better in most cases. I don't read owners' reviews because it's highly unlikely they'll admit something they spent so much on is faulty.

I think they got the Model S just right. The touchscreen is really a software engineering marvel.

Reactions: X Fan and BigNick
They reduced physical buttons because of costs. They have to do that for the Model 3 but the S is a great seller because of the way it is. Simplifying will only lead to reduce in S sales.

I'm not totally sure I buy that they did it all for cost. Some of it seems like "because we can." Surely an electronically activated glovebox isn't simpler or cheaper than a lockable physical lever/button. Would a stalk that allows finer control of wiper functions cost much more than a stalk that doesn't, or require less wiring, or generate some kind of manufacturing efficiency? Same for AP functions. The complex HVAC routing/control mechanism can't be simpler or cheaper than a manually adjustable vent. Some of it's cool, some of it's questionable, but I don't think most of it saved much on cost. My $0.02.

Reactions: Electricious
t16000mfcshotas-4.png

Would rather have this HOTAS setup, as I can use it blindfolded by a VR set. ;-)
Touchscreen is inferior, but reduces cost.
On my Model S I would prefer screen shortcuts or buttons/switches for air suspension and heated steering wheel.

I wish Tesla would sell a few programmable buttons for the Model S I could snap into the dashboard next to the big screen and program with things like "turn headlights on/off", or "raise/lower suspension". Having to take my eyes of the road for few seconds while navigating the menus to do it on the touch screen is annoying and sometimes dangerous. With the new MCU it's faster (screen more responsive), but still annoying as it takes multiple clicks.

I'm not totally sure I buy that they did it all for cost. Some of it seems like "because we can." Surely an electronically activated glovebox isn't simpler or cheaper than a lockable physical lever/button. Would a stalk that allows finer control of wiper functions cost much more than a stalk that doesn't, or require less wiring, or generate some kind of manufacturing efficiency? Same for AP functions. The complex HVAC routing/control mechanism can't be simpler or cheaper than a manually adjustable vent. Some of it's cool, some of it's questionable, but I don't think most of it saved much on cost. My $0.02.
So what's the next "because we can"? If it wasn't for some government regulations, Model 3 drivers would have to navigate "Controls => Driving Signals => Left Blinker" every time they wanted to signal a left turn? Then what, "Controls->Driving->Apply Brake" and a slider control for how much brake to apply? Who needs a brake pedal if you have a touch screen, right? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SDRick