TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will NHTSA investigate the Model S fire? (no)

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Jackl1956, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

2. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

AFAIK, most, if not all, of the share price retreat is from a German magazine with a pessimistic view of Tesla in the German market. This news may have only made it worse, but isn't the core reason.

I think people should have expected in an inquiry. The NHTSA was only unable to do so immediately after the accident because of the shutdown.

4. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

#4 v12 to 12v, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    It was clear to me that they were just gathering information to determine whether or not to open an investigation. I'm pretty confident that, if there is a formal investigation, Tesla will come out looking good.

Either way, the NHTSA looking into the matter will end up putting some of the people that are unfamiliar with the Model S' minds at ease. I'm still amazed at how many people associate Tesla's with hybrids that had issues. The Model S doesn't carry tanks of accelerant like the others. The real question is how the media treats it.

5. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

Tesla fire from crash won't be investigated by NHTSA
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20131024/OEM05/131029933/tesla-fire-from-crash-wont-be-investigated-by-u-s#axzz2ihCZ0Hqb

“After reviewing all available data, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not found evidence at this time that would indicate the recent battery fire involving a Tesla Model S was the result of a vehicle safety defect or noncompliance with federal safety standards. The agency continually reviews incoming and prior consumer vehicle complaints, as well as other data to identify potential vehicle defect trends and takes appropriate action as necessary,” the agency said.
    From The Detroit News: U.S. will not open investigation into Tesla fire | The Detroit News

6. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

perhaps thread title should be updated to reflect that the decision has been made not to open an investigation.