Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will NHTSA investigate the Model S fire? (no)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK, most, if not all, of the share price retreat is from a German magazine with a pessimistic view of Tesla in the German market. This news may have only made it worse, but isn't the core reason.

I think people should have expected in an inquiry. The NHTSA was only unable to do so immediately after the accident because of the shutdown.

It was clear to me that they were just gathering information to determine whether or not to open an investigation. I'm pretty confident that, if there is a formal investigation, Tesla will come out looking good.

Either way, the NHTSA looking into the matter will end up putting some of the people that are unfamiliar with the Model S' minds at ease. I'm still amazed at how many people associate Tesla's with hybrids that had issues. The Model S doesn't carry tanks of accelerant like the others. The real question is how the media treats it.

Last edited:
Tesla fire from crash won't be investigated by NHTSA
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ash-wont-be-investigated-by-u-s#axzz2ihCZ0Hqb

“After reviewing all available data, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not found evidence at this time that would indicate the recent battery fire involving a Tesla Model S was the result of a vehicle safety defect or noncompliance with federal safety standards. The agency continually reviews incoming and prior consumer vehicle complaints, as well as other data to identify potential vehicle defect trends and takes appropriate action as necessary,” the agency said.
From The Detroit News: U.S. will not open investigation into Tesla fire | The Detroit News