Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will older Tesla S/X with Induction Motors ever have FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know if any of the Beta FSD'ers are driving older S/X models with AC Induction motors? It never occurred to me that some Tesla owners DIDN'T use their brakes to come to a stop. I received a loaner model 3 a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised when I had a true one-pedal driving experience. When I got back in my older Model X, I was actually bummed I had to use my brakes again!

This has me thinking and questioning. Will older S/X models get the FSD software if the software cannot consistently and predictably control braking speed? I know the hardware and software can manipulate the braking, but not all brakes are created equal and they wear differently from vehicle to vehicle. There is a pretty large curve there that it would need to overcome. I feel as the software can have much more control over the newer motors, to curve regen to achieve the proper deceleration and full stop.

Do we know if any of the Beta FSD'ers are driving older S/X models with AC Induction motors? It never occurred to me that some Tesla owners DIDN'T use their brakes to come to a stop. I received a loaner model 3 a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised when I had a true one-pedal driving experience. When I got back in my older Model X, I was actually bummed I had to use my brakes again!

This has me thinking and questioning. Will older S/X models get the FSD software if the software cannot consistently and predictably control braking speed? I know the hardware and software can manipulate the braking, but not all brakes are created equal and they wear differently from vehicle to vehicle. There is a pretty large curve there that it would need to overcome. I feel as the software can have much more control over the newer motors, to curve regen to achieve the proper deceleration and full stop.
They barely even use the regen with autopilot as it stands now.

...Will older S/X models get the FSD software if the software cannot consistently and predictably control braking speed?...

Tesla can deal with different models, some with landscape screen, some with portrait screen, some with gear stalk, some without, some with strong regen, some with weak regen...

The raven didn't come out until around April 2019. FSD was sold starting October 2016. That's a lot of 3-4 year FSD exclusion by your regen criteria.

2016 generation can upgrade to MCU2 and HW3 FSD computer but not the motors and you'll be FSD again!

Exactly! If they would spend some additional development time, they could have one pedal driving on pre-Raven vehicles too as they are quite capable of coming to a complete stop when on AP.
They would have to implement friction braking or maybe brake blinding for it to stop. Induction's lose regen as the rotation slows and cuts off about 5mph or so and then starts to free rotate.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
They would have to implement brake blinding for it to stop. Induction's lose regen as the rotation slows and cuts off about 5mph or so and then starts to free rotate.
Our 2017 cars don't have any problem coming to a complete stop when on AP...so they could handle it with current hardware if they would spend time upgrading the software.

Reactions: pilotSteve