TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will Older Vehicles get the Smart Phone-Based Unlocking System?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️, Aug 22, 2017.

1. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Tesla releases new Model 3 pictures to show its key card and iPhone-based unlocking system

I've been wishing for this feature ever since I got my car. I would love not worrying about carrying my fob around. I can't rely on the app because my car doesn't get cell phone service inside the parking garage at work. It seems like it would just be a software upgrade. Does anyone know, or have an idea, if this could be implemented in older cars with just a software upgrade?

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I like it the way it is.

3. Max*

Max* Charging

Do the older cars have BTLE? If not, it's not just a software update.

4. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

No. The newer entry is based off of Bluetooth.

5. Max*

Max* Charging

No. It's BLE (woops, added a T in the previous post) - Bluetooth Low Energy, which is different than vanilla Bluetooth (newer for one thing, but there are a lot of differences actually)

Tesla Model 3 ditches fob for keycard and Bluetooth smartphone access

BLE has been out for a while (circa 2011), but not everything on a Tesla is up-to-date and high tech.

And from this post, they started shipping keyfobs capable of BLE in 2015: New key fob coming with Bluetooth LE?

And then there's this post from Ingineer -- New key fob coming with Bluetooth LE?
    As of end of 2016, the X uses BLE, the S still does not.

So my question still stands, does the Model S have BLE or not? If not, I don't think they can send an OTA update for this feature.

6. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

The Tesla app has let me down on two occasions where it was 95F+ outside, needless to say, I always carry my fob now.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Since a recent software update I have a new "Passive Entry" setting in my vehicle controls. It's greyed out, however, so I cannot change the setting.

8. martinicus

martinicus Member

Same. Anyone know why it is grayed out?

9. mazeminder

mazeminder Member

Put your foot on the brake to activate it. It's explained in this video (jump forward to 6-minute mark):

Its *not* a phone-based entry system

10. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Before you get too excited about the TSA lock making it safe to leave your laptop in this thing, all it takes is a ballpoint pen thrust into the zipper and thieves get access to your bag in 10 seconds, lock or no lock.