Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Older Vehicles get the Smart Phone-Based Unlocking System?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla releases new Model 3 pictures to show its key card and iPhone-based unlocking system

I've been wishing for this feature ever since I got my car. I would love not worrying about carrying my fob around. I can't rely on the app because my car doesn't get cell phone service inside the parking garage at work. It seems like it would just be a software upgrade. Does anyone know, or have an idea, if this could be implemented in older cars with just a software upgrade?

No. The newer entry is based off of Bluetooth.
No. It's BLE (woops, added a T in the previous post) - Bluetooth Low Energy, which is different than vanilla Bluetooth (newer for one thing, but there are a lot of differences actually)

Tesla Model 3 ditches fob for keycard and Bluetooth smartphone access

BLE has been out for a while (circa 2011), but not everything on a Tesla is up-to-date and high tech.

And from this post, they started shipping keyfobs capable of BLE in 2015: New key fob coming with Bluetooth LE?

And then there's this post from Ingineer -- New key fob coming with Bluetooth LE?
As of end of 2016, the X uses BLE, the S still does not.

So my question still stands, does the Model S have BLE or not? If not, I don't think they can send an OTA update for this feature.

Tesla releases new Model 3 pictures to show its key card and iPhone-based unlocking system

I've been wishing for this feature ever since I got my car. I would love not worrying about carrying my fob around. I can't rely on the app because my car doesn't get cell phone service inside the parking garage at work. It seems like it would just be a software upgrade. Does anyone know, or have an idea, if this could be implemented in older cars with just a software upgrade?
The Tesla app has let me down on two occasions where it was 95F+ outside, needless to say, I always carry my fob now.

Put your foot on the brake to activate it. It's explained in this video (jump forward to 6-minute mark):

Its *not* a phone-based entry system
Before you get too excited about the TSA lock making it safe to leave your laptop in this thing, all it takes is a ballpoint pen thrust into the zipper and thieves get access to your bag in 10 seconds, lock or no lock.