TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will other EV mfgrs. use the Superchargers?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by CHGolferJim, Nov 30, 2014.

1. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

#1 CHGolferJim, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    (mod note: moved out of the Mercedes B-Class thread)
    Certainly agree. Is the idea of sharing SC technology likely in the future? Would the strategy be one of gaining a smaller piece of a much bigger pie? Timing vs. Model X and 3 launches would be key. How can Tesla kill the 3 series if BMW has access to the SC network?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#2 ecarfan, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Elon has always said that Tesla is open to any manufacturer using the SC network as long as they pay their fair share of the costs of building and running it, their cars use the Tesla connector type, and they charge their customers up front for the service, like Tesla does.

Tesla is out to "kill" all ICE cars for personal transport. If BMW or any manufacturer wants to build EVs that can use the SC network under Elon's terms he's all for that as it furthers Tesla mission.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

and they put in a large enough battery to be able to handle 120kW of charging current.

This is a big one as it 1) makes sure we don't end up with a bunch of small battery cars clogging up SC sipping power slowly, and 2) pushes other car companies to put out real BEVs with real range, not just minimal compliance cars or plugin hybrids with small batteries.

4. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Agreed, Tesla is not out to kill the 3 series provided the car meets the minium requirements of entry to the Supercharger Network.

I respectfully disagree with the premise of Andrew's remark that the Supercharger Network will be used as a competitive advantage over other EVs.

Larry

5. dennis

dennis P85D

I believe it is a competitive advantage because it presents a real dilemma to the other manufacturers - either attempt to build out their own (inferior) long distance charging infrastructure or help Tesla further its network by joining up with them. This should spark endless debates inside the big car companies.

6. GSP

GSP Member

#6 GSP, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Exactly. I expect the Supercharger network will remain a competitive advantage for Tesla. Even though Tesla's terms for use of the supercharger network may be reasonable, I doubt any existing automaker will take then up on it. They are simply overly proud of themselves.

Although Daimler did see promise in Tesla early on, and they invested in Tesla when Tesla desperately needed it and Daimler was very low on cash themselves. If they ever decide to add DC fast charging to the B-class (and how could they not do this?), perhaps they will consider the Tesla Superchargers instead of the CCS standard.

GSP

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Mercedes B-Class Electric (TESLA drivetrain)

That's not exactly how I intended it. As a buyer, if I compare two EVs one with supercharging and one without, with all other things equal, I would pick the supercharger capable vehicle even at a substantial premium.

Until other manufacturers broker a deal with Tesla or deploy their own network, in my mind Tesla is vastly superior.

8. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

#8 Tedkidd, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    From what I can tell everything about Teslas charging setup (excluding supercharging to level the field) is vastly superior to the multi-plug setup others use.

Adopting Tesla charging would make one car significantly more attractive to another to me.

For example, I like the Mercedes a fair amount more than the VW. But if the VW had Tesla charging that would completely tip the scale.

Even WITHOUT sc access I'd want Tesla charging...

9. wws

wws Member

One small detail is that first the other manufacturers would need to build a EV that can travel between superchargers with their 130 mile spacing. Which means they would really need to design for a 200 mile range.