Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Our Original Garage Plugs Work??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very new to this Tesla life. But the vehicle is coming and we would like to know if an electrician is needed or can we buy and adapter for one of our RV plugs in the garage.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0483B4E77F0B-1.jpeg
    IMG_0483B4E77F0B-1.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 192
The receptacle on the left is a NEMA 6-30. Tesla doesn't make a UMC adapter for it, but evseadapters does:

I can't tell what the receptacle on the right is.

The receptacle on the right appears to be a TT-30. That’s a 30amp, 120V outlet used for travel trailers.

Best to stick to the NEMA 6-30. That’s a 30a, 240V outlet. Will charge twice as quick as the TT-30.

Yes, EVSEAdapters makes really good stuff. They make one for the TT-30 too, if you want one of those. You will notice the prices for theirs are always higher than the ones from Tesla, and that's because they are buying official ones from Tesla as the starting part and then taking them apart to change the plug type to something that Tesla doesn't offer. But they do preserve the temperature sensor in the plug and the chip that signals the proper amount of amps for that plug type, so you are getting a really good one that acts just like an OEM real one.

Yes, EVSEAdapters makes really good stuff. They make one for the TT-30 too, if you want one of those. You will notice the prices for theirs are always higher than the ones from Tesla, and that's because they are buying official ones from Tesla as the starting part and then taking them apart to change the plug type to something that Tesla doesn't offer. But they do preserve the temperature sensor in the plug and the chip that signals the proper amount of amps for that plug type, so you are getting a really good one that acts just like an OEM real one.

I didnt know that about the adapters sold by EVSEadapters, and thats really good information. Thanks @Rocky_H !

Reactions: dmurphy
I can't tell what the receptacle on the right is.

Now that I'm viewing the photo using a different computer/monitor, I agree with others it does look like a TT-30. If you anticipate spending time at campsites that only have TT-30 receptacles, evseadapters makes an adapter for it as well:

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

For your garage, use the 6-30 instead of the TT-30. Factor of two faster. (Same amperage, but 240V vs 120V.)

Thank you all for your help. This is a great way to pass along wonderful information! I have ordered the 6-30 adapter and will cross my fingers everything works out well for charging.
I suggest doing a bit more than crossing your fingers. You should take the time (or have someone do it) to remove the coverplate and check that the outlet is in good repair. Of couse kill the circuit breaker before doing so. Make sure the wires are at least 10ga. Look for signs of heating, and make sure the wires are firmly crimped into the outlet. If anything looks janky at all, replace the outlet with a good quality one.

You're going to subject this outlet to more stress than it's likely to have ever had before, so give it the once over.

Reactions: MN-MS100D
That sounds like a great plan. Is it safe to use this 6-30 plug for the Tesla as the main charging station? Or should I plan on getting a Tesla recommended plug completed in the garage in the future?

As long as the outlet is good / safe, that 30amp 240V outlet is likely all the charging speed you need. It should be around 22 miles per hour from the mobile connector.

Reactions: Rocky_H and wws
Thank you everyone again. You're a wealth of knowledge.

I just received my order today of the 6-30 adapter. Feels like the free delivery wait time was less then one week.. crazy.

Here is a picture of the adapter and the plug set up where my Tesla will be parked. So excited.

Any more tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• Adapter630.jpg
    Adapter630.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: dmurphy and Rocky_H
Any more tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!
One more minor thing you might look into. If that is a few feet up above the floor, you might not want all the weight of the plug and the electronics box and more cord hanging from that outlet unsupported. So some type of bracket to hold the electronics box might be a good idea. And that doesn't have to be something Tesla-specific. Many people do this with one of those bicycle water bottle holders screwed into the wall. But if you want to search, I think there are people selling 3D printed brackets shaped specifically for this.

Tesla is still a month away!

I just turned off and opened up the outlets and they look great.

I notice the top receptacle is on a normal 15 amp breaker. Could I use this with regular electronics (internet modem) knowing the amperage won’t go too high or should I not use it because of the kind of outlet it is?

Thank you for the help!

I notice the top receptacle is on a normal 15 amp breaker. Could I use this with regular electronics (internet modem) knowing the amperage won’t go too high or should I not use it because of the kind of outlet it is?

Thank you for the help!

Perfectly fine to use it. Should be on a 20-amp (not 15amp) breaker though - but no harm using it with something 15a or less.

Use it for anything you want. I'd suggest either replacing it with a 15A receptacle, or if you can verify the wire is heavy enough (e.g., 12 ga with Romex), replace the breaker with a 20A version. If you replace the receptacle, be sure to get a commercial grade receptacle, rather than a cheapo residential grade receptacle. Well worth the extra five dollars.

Reactions: White2021MDL3
Thank you! This information will help me clean up the wire situation I have in the garage. I will keep the receptacle the same and use it for our internet modem that cannot be moved from that area.

One positive thing about the Tesla wait time is it gives you a lot of time to prepare.