TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will passangers in rear seats get soaked?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by icurious, Nov 3, 2015.

1. icurious

icurious New Member

Since the canopy formed by the falcon wing doors when open will be about two feet higher than the front roof, will passengers in the rear seats get drenched in a blowing rain since there is so much open area between the two roof heights? I tried to get an answer from Tesla but they will not respond.

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

#2 JohnSnowNW, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Why would you open the doors fully in the situation you describe?

3. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I reckon it'll depend on which way you're pointed when you open the Falcons...

4. 1208

1208 Active Member

In my opinion, probably.

Bjorn I believe will be getting one of the first X's so he will make videos to find out. We hope.

5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Yes, in the same way they would in any other car if you open the doors to let in blowing rain.

With Falcon doors you open the one away from the direction of the sideways rain (the one that opens away from the rain's direction) and all passengers enter from that side. This is likely quite simple in a Model X, harder in other cars perhaps?

6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Excellent first post!

Would it have killed you to browse around and read a bit? This subject is as old as, well, the Model X prototype revealed more than 3 years ago.

Do you really think all the brilliant engineers at Tesla hadn't thought of this?

7. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Rain doesn't worry me that much, wind is a more problamatic issue in my book. But Bjørn will definitely be able to test this thoroughly. He's moving to Bodø, which has something like 350 windy days per year.

(When I was in the military in Bodø, we destroyed several large car doors by carelessly letting go of them, and BAM, the wind folded them against the hinge.)

8. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Well then, I guess we will finally have an answer to that question about whether the Falcon Wing Doors will allow the Model X to actually fly.

Bjørn, put this on your to-do list, OK? You might want to use a ramp to get a running start.

9. icurious

icurious New Member

Why are you so defensive?

Just trying to get an answer. What is the answer?

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I'm sure that if you have to open the door on the windy side, and the angle is right they could get quite wet.
    But I suspect that they'll get much wetter once they get out.

11. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Depends on the angle. That said, seems like more of a huge canopy to block rain than to let it in.
    & as I've said here every few months for years: I'll be HAPPY to start testing those doors in any and all conditions anytime. Difference now is, looks like I'll get my chance soon.